The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Democrats - a party with punch > Comments

The Democrats - a party with punch : Comments

By Lyn Allison, published 17/10/2006

Why do journalists argue that the Democrats are dead? Even without a Senate majority there have been many wins this year.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Why do journalists argue that Democrats are dying? Because every time there's an election you lose votes that's why. Lose any more and you won't even be a parliamentary party anymore. The Democrats don't stand for anything. They 'hold the balance of power', they negotiate.

Whatever.
Posted by Videopen, Wednesday, 18 October 2006 12:43:00 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A low blow, Steve.

The greens & democrats seem the only forces in national politics without massive business and/or backing - hence without much profile. Their downward spiral is not as much of their making as from the impression generated by relentless attack from the bully pulpit of cabinet and from the MSM.

An interesting post by a previous poster points out the irony of the smallest party the greens having the most developed policy on what will become the major focus of our time, the environment
Posted by bennie, Wednesday, 18 October 2006 3:28:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry, ChrisC. I did not mean to 'steal' your name. I didn't know there was a ChrisC. I'd prefer to use my full name, but when I first registered, I was asked for a nickname, so I initialised my surname. I have been into my account to try to change it, but the same computer program that won't let me use three question marks in a row seems not to allow me to change my nickname.
Regards,
Chris Curtis
Posted by Chris C, Wednesday, 18 October 2006 9:42:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not to worry. Nothing worse than an angry computer program. Well, maybe the death of a political party that, at least at one point, operated on the grounds that the goal was to do the best for the people of Australia.

Regards,

Chris Chapman
Posted by ChrisC, Wednesday, 18 October 2006 11:42:52 PM
Seems to me from comments here that the Dems are dead as a Dodo. Funnily enough, even though I don't have much time for him and his beliefs, Andrew bartlett seems to have made a rather big impression in the negative sense on many people.
Posted by T800, Saturday, 21 October 2006 12:45:16 PM
“the Greens: 1990s-2020s?” (? ? ?)

Yair well, the Greens are virtually just hangin in there as well. And when it comes to real green politics, they’re about as dodoish as the Dems.

Unfortunately I think that our political regime is just going to have to evolve the hard way…. incrementally, with slow changes from within the two big dinosaurs. To this end I think One Nation was quite successful, in putting forward policies that have been adopted, whereas the Greens and the Dems went the other way and basically adopted the policies of the those that they set to be different from! A terrible shame.

I can’t express how strongly I think that Andrew Bartlett is palpable in this way, and the other Dems by association if not just as direct irresponsibility or weakwilledness. Lyn Allison doesn’t appear to be any better. Does she really believe that the Dems are a party with punch? What did she expect would be the reaction to this article? Does she really believe that decentralisation is the answer to all sorts of things, in the absence of population stabilisation or an overall sustainability strategy? http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=4920

Labor has an enormous opportunity here, to set itself up as a really different entity to the Libs, especially by way of embracing genuine sustainability as its core objective. Of course, this is exactly what the Greens should be doing. It’s too late for the Dems, but if they’d done this a few years ago, I reckon they’d be sitting pretty now.

Beazley has given some indications of movement in this direction, but nowhere near enough. And unfortunately, for all his good environmental input, Bob Brown and the Greens don’t appear to be heading in this direction with any momentum either.
Posted by Ludwig, Saturday, 21 October 2006 1:43:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy