The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Global warming the real terror > Comments

Global warming the real terror : Comments

By Judy Cannon, published 24/2/2006

There is a danger much greater than terrorism - global warming.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 23
  8. 24
  9. 25
  10. All
I wholeheartedly agree with Judy's article. We as a human species seem to spend so much time fighting and qaurrelling over religious beliefs and resources, and trying to get the greatest benifits for ouselves, but we neglect the greater need to secure a decent and safe environment for our children and their families future lives. That's where our number one priorities should definitely be, where the greatest human suffering is today, and where it will occur in the future. If only we had some leadership and an economic system that could help make this happen!
Posted by PeterI, Friday, 24 February 2006 10:13:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Terrorism is real. Global warming is a load of bullswool.
Posted by Leigh, Friday, 24 February 2006 10:46:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What load of twaddle. There is no evidence Katrina was caused by AGW. Temperatures are rising as part of a natural cycle and one component of which may be induced by what us humans are of doing, but it is at the smaller end of the scale.

One has to filter out the blatant and well documented distortions by some elements of the science community to deduce that it is not as alarming as they make it out to be.

Terrorism, hunger and the ravages of failed states such as Mr Mugabe's are infinitely more important issues for humanity, at the present moment.
Posted by bigmal, Friday, 24 February 2006 10:59:31 AM
It seems that Leigh and bigmal know something that our Prime Minister doesn't.

From front page of The Australian Financial Review today, chief political correspondent Laura Tingle reports:

PM BACKS NUCLEAR SOLUTION

Mr Howard told The Australian Financial Review he accepted the scientific case on the greenhouse effect and had "no hang-ups at all" about taking advantage of nuclear energy as a solution when it was economically viable...
Asked whether he accepted that the scientific case had been made on the greenhouse gas effect, Mr Howard told the AFR: "I accept that there is strong evidence. The degree is probably debatable.
"I don't think you could argue that there is no scientific case. I don't share that view.
"I spent some time several years ago reading some report put together by a group of American scientists that had been established by the American government and I was pretty convinced the case was there.
"I do think when it comes to the more specific issue of what should Australia do in the near term, we are right on the money in trying to reduce the greenhouse gas consequences of using fossil fuels..."

Howard did not name the report but the chances are that it was the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Third Assessment Report. For people who are not inconvenienced by review of evidence, the report is available at http://www.ipcc.ch/
Posted by MikeM, Friday, 24 February 2006 12:37:41 PM
Judy, fundamentalism scares me. I lived (with my family) and worked for 5 years in Muslim countries. I was in London for 6 weeks last year, when 5 British citizens blew themselves up on "my" tube line and killed 50-odd people. What worries me here, is that you come close to implying that Hurricane Katrina and The Asian Tsunami of December 2004 are retribution, because we are not looking after our planet. Also, you come close to implying that if we humans "do the right thing" we can regain the benign (but sadly, mythical) stability of a pre-industrial Arcadia without hurricanes or earthquakes (and perhaps, where it only rains at night). If I am reading you right - I detect a whiff of fundamentalism here. Lets face it, widely-variable solar eruptive activity drives our ever-changing climate - from the millennial scale downward to "weather". If you really want a stable climate - please don't pick on us. Just stabilise the Sun.
Posted by fosbob, Friday, 24 February 2006 1:11:37 PM
Don't worry Global dimming is also real, while most scientist through the average of earth's temparature would be 40 degrees now, that is what all their models says!

The pollution that we produced are keeping heat in the earth, however it is deflecting the sun's ray from the earth, which have the effect of cooling the earth, so Global dimming and warming have opposite effect which have mainly neutralise each other.

In fact I saw a program that claim that the days where the earth's termparature was most unstable was 10/11/99 and 11/11/99 when the US grounded all their aircrafts and therefore the jets could not emite enough pollution for global dimming to have an effect. So we can draw a conclusion that if we stop polluting, we as a race would be in trouble.

The facts are no one really know what is going to happen to the earth, the earth had been through many hot spells nad ice ages without any help from human, the odds are as good that a super-volcano eruption or a comet hitting the earth might ends it for all of us.

Since it is all out of our control, don't worry
Posted by dovif, Friday, 24 February 2006 1:32:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 23
  8. 24
  9. 25
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy