The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Who does it for you? Aslan or Jesus? > Comments

Who does it for you? Aslan or Jesus? : Comments

By Mark Hurst, published 23/1/2006

Mark Hurst compares Aslan with Jesus: the lion with the lamb.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 40
  10. 41
  11. 42
  12. All
Why do some Christians (sooner rather than later) move toward a chastising surmon every time they speak about how to believe in 'their' god 'their' way? Indeed as a means to meet a need to control or frighten or cajole others into believing their many and often contesting definitions of God.

Each one seems to have a set of scriptural or theological arguments ready to thrust upon anyone who'll listen.

So my point is not so much that I do get irrated that some Christians get a little bit too carried away with selling their version of either individual for group God (or both) but that that is so darn inconsistent with 'belief'.

Are they trying to convince themselves as well as others?

By the way, I love Lamb chops and roasts.
Posted by Rainier, Monday, 23 January 2006 4:36:19 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lamb of God etc etc

In your relationship with 'god' coach, do you recieve any correspondance from him? Anything at all?

Or is this relationship a fantasy between your conscious and your unconscious?

If you do hear from god in any way, and i am not talking about how he he gave you some sign when a car went past etc, i will become a believer in your religion right now.

I have had the religious experience in my life, and once the wool is taken away from your eyes, you can see things for what they realy are.

God might be out there, so how happy would he be with worshipping false idols?

Narnia has no bearing on christianity. I read it in year 4 at school and it had no christian influences. it does not now.

C'mon coach, you sure have plenty of love to give, let us see why.
Posted by Realist, Monday, 23 January 2006 4:55:10 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A lamb with seven eyes and seven horns, Whoa !!
...what next a fish with three eyes, - no wait that was on the Simpsons !!

The message of Jesus is 'love each other', kick the merchants out of the temple, and grow your own food.
Posted by Coyote, Monday, 23 January 2006 5:17:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Firstly I would like to thank Mark for letting me know bout Narnia. My money will stay in my wallet now.

I have delved into almost all religions as I am a person that will not listen to sermons but will research all the history. I have found in my experience that all religions are based on “fear”. The fear of death, the fear of unhappiness and the fear of the unknown.

The Christians all know that they are losing their followers to today’s modern science. They also know that they need to update their teachings of old so they use now the media that everyone knows is the dominant way of suggestive thinking in today’s world.

Each religion I have researched all have more contradictions then factual truth. I have research much eastern ways and spent 6 years and still counting meditating with the belief that we are an entity being our own gods. The so called (God Feeling-When God Enters You) Is nothing more then a regulated Chi channel flowing inside you. I have experienced this first hand with Pennycostal and Prespeterian churches. In one case even making a Pastor rethink his beliefs after pushing Chi from myself to him. He then told me that this was the feeling of what he thought was god yet my Chi filled him with a stronger feeling. But am I stronger then his God, I would not think so but there you go.

As long as there is pain and suffering, the world will yield to a belief of a better life. Weren’t God’s supporters supposed to spread the word and not force it?
If we want to go to church and pray we will. Not when you visit our doors every week and forcing it down our throats. And remember more people have died in god’s name then everything else put together. What ever happened to love thy neighbor? Not rape thy children.

The days of being scared of God’s in the form of thunder are over. We need to look to the future. Hear on Earth & Nowhere else
Posted by Kaos, Monday, 23 January 2006 5:37:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Look I have enjoyed the fantasy stories of C S Lewis and there are some good ideas in them . There are some good social ideas in the Christian message , fellowship and community involvement in particular . But I have been a Life long Atheist and I find the comment by Coach rather sad .

"The problem with most unbelievers is not of intellectual or emotional convictions, although we witness a lot of that on OLO, the problem is not with the head but with the neck. Most people will not bend their neck and bow to their creator because they are too proud and/or ignorant of the consequences"

I wonder why you think that supplication to the deity is so necessary ? Some humility is good for all but who would really want to regress to a state of childhood for the rest of eternity after a life as an autonomous individual ? Give me oblivion before an eternal life on those terms .

"I encourage you to reflect quietly sifting through your beliefs, setting aside your pride, prejudice (qualified or not)… until you find that lost piece of yourself that used to obey, respect, love, follow, hang around, cuddle, play with your own dad and mom. This is but a crude hint of what the God figure I know and my relationship to Him is like."

. I am horrified by your description of your “relationship” with God Coach, learn to be an adult and take responsibility for this life , that you verify with the senses and the intellect. . Live this life with integrity and if there is anything after death you will have nothing to worry about but I I am right and there is nothing what a waste for you to have spent so much time in this life on your knees when you could have been living this life to the full rather than trying to buy a place in heaven.
Posted by Iain, Monday, 23 January 2006 5:51:39 PM
Iain, after centuries that argument is a mere reflex among non-believers.

Jesus is the example par excellence of taking practical responsibility for one's life. Look at his effect in the world. The cross has a vertical and horizontal aspect. Without that relationship with the source, as Jesus demonstrated by praying to his Father after he'd healed or preached, we can't be as effective in the world.

Its true, if we can't find life here we won't find it in the afterlife. But Jesus said, "I came that they may have life, and have it to the full" (John 10:10).

The true escapism in western society is to not take account of the life of Jesus.

Godbless.
Posted by Martin Ibn Warriq, Monday, 23 January 2006 7:29:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 40
  10. 41
  11. 42
  12. All