The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Who does it for you? Aslan or Jesus? > Comments

Who does it for you? Aslan or Jesus? : Comments

By Mark Hurst, published 23/1/2006

Mark Hurst compares Aslan with Jesus: the lion with the lamb.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 40
  9. 41
  10. 42
  11. All
Pt 2 of 2
coach
Life without your God can be rather good when you consider the alternative. It's true that there is a tiny chance that the christain gospel may be correct, if so from this vanatge point I'm kind of fussy about who I would want to hang around with for eternity and right now the christain God (and a substantial proportion of his followers) don't cut it. There is also a small chance that an alien spacecraft will land in my driveway this afternoon, maybe I should go move the car so it does not get squashed.

If you want to sit in the shoes of the unbeliever who has rejected your God do so by considering the possibility that God is not worthy and then think about how eternity with God would look.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 23 January 2006 1:32:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Having watched the movie and having spent sometime within Christianity I would have to say that violence is the path that both characters end up employing to bring about their desired end result.

Christians are kidding themselves if they think Jesus didn't condone violence, and won't use it in the future against those who do not obey him.

It is the hollywood Jesus that is largely portrayed within the church world. This Jesus never complains; taking it on the other cheek, whereas the Jesus I read about in the Bible compares himself to a king asking his faithful followers to slay unbelievers in his presence upon his return (see Luke 19:22-27).

The so-called "lamb" looks more like a lion on a closer examination
Posted by Haggis, Monday, 23 January 2006 2:11:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good comment Robert,

I am amazed at how fanatics of all religions 'are horrified' at the fate awaiting those who don't share their faith.
Posted by Fellow_Human, Monday, 23 January 2006 2:30:40 PM
R0bert,

I suspect that you may have never truly known Jesus nor God before. You are angry at them, you find faults in them to justify your position.

You add your church experience: if the church is bad therefore God is bad. This is like saying someone ran a red light killing another innocent person, therefore traffic lights are bad.

I must repeat that you do not “know” what it is to have a personal relationship with God. Once you can experience that you cannot turn your back on Him.

The problem with most unbelievers is not of intellectual or emotional convictions, although we witness a lot of that on OLO, the problem is not with the head but with the neck. Most people will not bend their neck and bow to their creator because they are too proud and/or ignorant of the consequences.

Your ending remark is also no excuse. Being born in the wrong place, time, parents, religion, political regime, etc… God reveals himself to those who seek him. He made sure that this trait is in all humans.

I encourage you to reflect quietly sifting through your beliefs, setting aside your pride, prejudice (qualified or not)… until you find that lost piece of yourself that used to obey, respect, love, follow, hang around, cuddle, play with your own dad and mom. This is but a crude hint of what the God figure I know and my relationship to Him is like.

Having said that, I apologise if your experience of a parent was a negative one that could have contributed to your angst. - as that is commonly used these days to reject God as a father.

One other misunderstood fact from unbelievers is that Christianity is supposed to be ‘perfect’, solving all our problems and is the answer to all the good and the bad in the world. That was never promised but to the contrary Jesus said if you want to be my disciple, pick up your cross daily,… (then) follow me.

I hope and pray that you will find complete joy in Him.
Posted by coach, Monday, 23 January 2006 2:49:39 PM
What do "jesus" Aslan, the tooth fairy, santa claus, the easter bunny, Daffy Duck and the Rugrats all have in common?

They are all essentially cartoon characters used to entertain and perhaps "educate" young children. They all belong to to the comic book and cartoon channels on TV.

I didnt like Narnia because it pushes the concept of large scale "redemptive" violence as the precurser for social transformation or ridding the world of "evil" which is of course impossible. Much like the possibility of "redemptive" violence being promoted and dramatised on the world stage by fundamentalist loonies of all kinds, including and especially many of the USA Christians who are promoting Narnia and even more so the the Passion. And by the Left Behind phenomenon wherby the "true believers" are expecting and praying for a "righteous cleansing" to occur as a precursor (or simultaneously with) the "rapture". Talk about large scale psychotic madness!

As for the Passion it was an exercise is sado-masochistic torture and brutal murder. In effect an horrific snuff film. Again it pushes the concept of "redemptive" violence. There is of course no such thing. Never has been and never will be.

But what do we really know of "jesus" except for his calling for open hearted love. Such a calling being the essential message/calling of all true religion. Which is very difficult to do/be in an incredibly violent world.
Posted by Tigerlily, Monday, 23 January 2006 4:11:38 PM
When I read the first few posts, I thought I had entered another world, but then I read Roberts post.

The reaction of the first posters, was almost sickening, but I held back and laughed. If this movie is anything like the passion, then I won't wastes my money. The Passion was one of the stupidest concoction of rubbish I have ever seen.

But at least it shows us how deeply the minds of some of the religious are entrapped within illusion.

The above nutters, god help us, oops blasphemed again. But then I suppose they have to have their fads, as there's no substance in their beleifs. So adding more fantasy, wouldn't be a problem for them.

Come on coach, show us where the truth is in these deeply moving movies that you all grovel over.

F.H. what would your opinion be of where unbelievers go after death, from your understanding. I know what the Koran says in part regarding that, but just like the bible, I find it ambiguous in that.
Posted by The alchemist, Monday, 23 January 2006 4:12:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 40
  9. 41
  10. 42
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy