The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > RU486: Women will be free to choose > Comments

RU486: Women will be free to choose : Comments

By Lyn Allison, published 23/12/2005

Senator Lyn Allison adds to the debate on RU486

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Whatever abortion is the trashing of a fellow human being, it is stealing his/her life - it could be seen as infanticide and, of course, it is infanticide.
The doctors, nurses, mother, father all have an input but the poor innocent, blameless, totally helpless human baby that's butchered has no voice at all - sad eh! numbat
Posted by numbat, Friday, 23 December 2005 3:10:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lyn,
You have put your points simply and eloquently and I look forward to the TGA deliberating on the availability of RU 486 to give women that choice of either surgical or medical abortions.
There are still individuals posting comments who seemingly cannot comprehend that the legality of abortions is an issue which has been debated and resolved. However I note that they consistently post anti-abortion comment whenever an opportunity presents regardless of the subject in discussion...
Posted by maracas, Friday, 23 December 2005 6:17:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
maracas,

It's legal. It's amoral.

Do you really think people with strong morals are just going to pack it in and go away?

The debate is over? I'm not debating, I'm stating.

RU486 is an excuse to be decadent, however it should be made legal because in today's society there are unfortunately people without any moral fibre who will abort at the drop of a hat anyway.

Capital punishment and abortion. What's the difference? NONE!!
Posted by FRIEDRICH, Saturday, 24 December 2005 8:29:49 AM
The probem with commentators on this issue is that I suspect most of them have never been faced with such a choice. Until one has, I dont believe one has the right to condemn the action or the person.
Posted by Frogmouth, Saturday, 24 December 2005 8:09:34 PM
Friedrich,

I think you should try and put yourself in the position of someone faced with an unwanted pregnancy, and try for a second to imagine how hard that would be.

You write that RU486 is an "excuse to be decadent". You really think a woman would deliberatedly behave "decadently" and get pregnant, safe in the knowledge she can just go pop a couple of RU486s tablets and be done with it, so she can happily go out and be "decadent" again? Abort "at the drop of the hat"? Clearly you have no idea how serious and disruptive having an unwanted pregnancy, and then having an abortion, can be to a woman's life. Most women could not take such a decision lightly.

You're not Tony Abbott are you? I knew he'd be hiding around here somewhere.

As for your shaky moralism, I for example am a strongly moral person, and ALSO a supporter of choice. Too complex for you?
Posted by Kaspa, Sunday, 25 December 2005 12:55:46 AM
Surely there could be few unwanted - really unwanted pregnancies. We are talking about a new life, there will never be another quite the same.
Should a mother's life be in danger and a decision made of which of the two should live. Then whatever decision is made it would be the correct one.
But to cause a unique fellow human to die just because it is inconvenient is not good- to say the least.
Actually we are a pack of twits as we pay for children to be slain and at the same time pay lots for IVF so women can conceive.
Be nice if these, for whatever reason, terminations were allowed to go to full term and the child put out for adoption.
We would be doing the fine thing and as well be saving millions of dollars. numbat
Posted by numbat, Sunday, 25 December 2005 10:18:12 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy