The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > RU486: Women will be free to choose > Comments

RU486: Women will be free to choose : Comments

By Lyn Allison, published 23/12/2005

Senator Lyn Allison adds to the debate on RU486

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
It's sad that this topic seemingly cannot be discussed without some posters resorting to personal abuse. I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but without doing an actual count, it appears to me that most of the abuse comes, at least initially, from the right-to-lifers.

Perhaps understandably, their strong religious/philosophical beliefs cause them to become upset at the mere thought of abortion. But, although they do not personally approve, abortion is legal in Australia and this stance is supported by the vast majority of Australians.

The attempts continually made to deny Australian women the right to choose for themselves on this issue are an outrageous affront to any country which claims to be democratic. For example, there is no valid reason why a health minister should have the final word on any medical procedure. This is the realm of medical and health scientists and experts.

Attempts to sway public and political opinion against abortion procedures are customarily found to be scientifically flawed, with the general assumption of thinking persons that this is a deliberate attempt at deception.

Add to that the fact that many [if not all] of the pro-lifers appear to base their beliefs on a whole range of issues on ancient verbal traditions and the subjective interpretation of unprovable writings thousands of years old. This is OK, we supposedly can believe what we want in this country, but it's hardly a basis for a controlling legal system which is binding on all Australians.
Posted by Rex, Monday, 26 December 2005 1:15:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Now now Numbat, I'm glad that you got all that off your chest and now perhaps feel better :) Problem is it doesent strengthen your argument and simply shows your frustration at being outreasoned...

A fertilised ovum is simply that, not a person. Nature aborts them on a regular basis. No magic about it at all.

I am not sure if you are Catholic or highly emotional, you havent
mentioned too much philosophical thought behind your thinking.
Perhaps you are just another indoctrinated Catholic :)

I find it amusing to be called intolerant by you, when I believe in a woman's right to choose, you want to deny her that choice.
Perhaps these days I am simply intolerant of the intolerant
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 26 December 2005 4:16:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yabby,

Would it be ok with you if I was to call you professor. You know everything about everything. Professor Yabby at your service.

You and Kaspa truly have fantastic minds.

Do you read Gertrude Stein too?
Posted by FRIEDRICH, Monday, 26 December 2005 4:39:54 PM
TO ALL POSTERS

As a female I have often pondered about the notion of abortion. I don't think that I could do it, but there are so many extraneous variables.

For instance, my niece is about to turn 14 years. She is no longer a virgin. She has departed from all of the morals and ethics that she has been taught. We are desperately concerned about her behaviour and her welfare. If we allow her to have the pill, we will be condoning her behaviour. If we do not, she may become pregnant. A child having a baby is an horrendous thought. A child having an abortion is equally horrendous.

I despair
Cheers
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Monday, 26 December 2005 6:09:35 PM
Kay, giving a child access to the pill is not condoning the sex act (provided what you are doing is spelt out). Rather it is an attempt to minimise the potential consequences of choices that parents and families throughout history have failed to stop. There is no lawful way you can be sure of stopping a kid that wants to engage in sexual activity from finding the opportunity (maybe move to a deserted island for the next couple of years but then does that help the underlying issue when she gets back).

Be there for her, try and help her make safer choices about who she experiments with and make sure she knows about sexual disease, pregnancy and all the rest. Talk to her about sexual predators and whatever else you can but remember that kids don't do this stuff rationally. Let her know you think that sexual activity is dangerous at her age and may have consequences she doesn't want but try and get her parents to help her through this rather than build the fight.

Maybe a bit like wearing a seat belt is not condoning car accidents (not a perfect analogy).

Good luck with it.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 26 December 2005 6:30:35 PM
Dear RObert

Thank you for the above post. I found it very helpful. I do not have any children, so it's really hard for me to know if I am doing and saying the right thing.

My brother is a widow. His wife killed herself when the girls were 18 months and 5 months respectively. He has a tough life trying to be both parents. Grandma tries really hard, but she is quite debiliated at 78 years.

I have spoken to my brother about getting the girls to sexual health counselling, especially in relation to STDs. Even though I am a nurse, it's very difficult for me to provide face to face help - since I live in another state.

Even so, you have given me a few good thinking points. I will write to my niece and try and guide her in the ways that you have suggested.

Many thanks
Hope you and family had a peaceful Christmas and that you have a great New Year celebration
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Monday, 26 December 2005 7:27:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy