The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A Lebanese 'problem'? > Comments

A Lebanese 'problem'? : Comments

By Tanveer Ahmed, published 15/12/2005

Tanveer Ahmed argues there is a specific segment of the Lebanese community in Sydney causing the unrest.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 24
  8. 25
  9. 26
  10. All
I have great respect for Tanveer Ahmed, especially after reading one of his previous articles "Brand Islam", as he is the first Muslim that has written a true account, however confronting, about the nature of the widespread support for terrorism within the Islamic community.

I agree with most of his article here, although I disagree with his comment that it is a Lebanese problem and not a Muslim one. I see no evidence to support this claim, but overwhelming evidence to the contrary. However, I agree that the Lebanese Muslims brought out here were largely unskilled, as opposed to other Muslims who have come. This is why the USA doesn't have the problems the Europeans, or we, do.

I say this because Lebanese Christians aren't involved in anything like their Muslim bretheren, yet they also came out in large numbers. They are heavily involved in organised crime though, particularly in Kings Cross.

I found it interesting how Tanveer mentioned mental illness in the Islamic community is high. I recently read a report, which was hard to believe at first given the numbers, but was an official British Medical Report, stating that 1 in 3 spastic born children in the U.K are Pakistani's. This, it followed, was because well over 80% of ALL Pakistani marriages are first cousin relationships.

With social practises like these, it is not hard to see why many Australians think many ethnic communities are xenophobic, extremely racist. I mean, imagine Australians of Scottish heritage going back to Aberdeen to find a wife, and even then, only among your own clan! Many people are still uncomfortable with the concept that non-whites can be racist, which is bizarre given all the behaviour Tanveer points out, particularly the gang rapes.

All in all though, a great article Tanveer. You are truly a moderate voice within the Islamic community, of genuine character.
Posted by Benjamin, Thursday, 15 December 2005 9:47:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you for such an insightful offering. As opposed to the "inciteful" bigoted and racial commentary I have seen lately.

What we are seeing is a response to social conditions that have marginalised a segemnt of our society. Just as the Macquarie Fields Incident was blown up by a tactical response, so too has Cronulla spawned a 'them and us' mentality.

In 1995 a Trinity Grammar student was stabbed to death. A link to his class position was so strong that some schools told students to remove their ties and blazers outside of their school so as to avoid any possible retaliation.

There is a direct correlation between class and marginalisation in Australia and the social stratum that the recent violence has shown.

Meanwhile the Liberal/National coalition and the ALP have both negleted to provide the basic requirements for social cohesion for ALL Australians yet have been busy providing more tax breaks to the rich.

So it is in the interest of the elite to maintain the anger between the lower classes, while the media continues to show the violence and therefore perpetuates it. Our leaders can then introduce tougher laws and penalties to control the 'rowdy elements'.

It is time for Government to govern and provide effective services for all areas of society. To provide Essential Services (health , child care, public transport) to marginalised suburbs. To provide assistance to business that would enable them to employ more younger people.

We are all Australians, we all deserve to live happily together whether Arab, Westie, Budgie, Anglo, Asian, Indigenous or Islander.
Its up to the Government to arrest the downhill financial slide of the lower classes or suffer the consequences.
Reading and understanding the history of the French revolution and how it came about might be a good start.
Posted by Coyote, Thursday, 15 December 2005 10:25:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I share Benjamins views word for word a well put together post and the first comment is exactly as I think on the issue.
However truth is in very real danger in Australia as we are asked not to include honestly held thoughts in posts if they may be seen by some as unwelcome.
The fact is freedom of speach can suffer at the hands of the very left as often as by Howards dreadfull acts.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 15 December 2005 10:26:13 AM
Tanveer, thank you for giving us what we so badly need to begin understanding the issue -- factual information without prejudice. Coming from someone of your background makes it doubly forceful.

And it's nice to find this time that Benjamin and I agree to some extent! Let's continue in this vein. It will be even better if we try to avoid using labels like "left" and "right" and "PC academics" etc. These don't help us towards understanding and solving problems.
Posted by Crabby, Thursday, 15 December 2005 10:38:23 AM
Tanveer

Your religion and professional position give you specific and balanced insights that are streets ahead of other commentators on this issue.

You are not a petty politician, Arab community advocate, sociologist or generalist.

I agree with your approach to narrow down the Sydney riots issue to something manageable. This allows the police and other social services to handle the root of the problem (the post 1975 Lebanese (Muslim) immigrants. And within that their young male offspring.

All soughts of special interest groups nationally and within OLO have agenda's to blow this issue into an anti Howard or anti Muslim crusade.

There is no hope of persuading OLO's large pack of anti Muslims that their fevered interest in Koranic verses is of little interest to Lebanese youth who want to get out and about around town rather than read the Koran.

So its better to handle this issue from the angle of criminology, policing and ethnic studies rather than comparitive religion.

That said I'm equivicating between wide ranging or particular solutions on this issue. Your article gives me some hope of a manageable solution.
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 15 December 2005 11:00:53 AM
Sorry Tanveer you're wrong here: >>... there is a Lebanese problem. It is not an Arab problem, nor is it really a Muslim one.<<

What do you mean by "not really" a muslim (problem)?

For the first time in the history of Australia we have imported a people with set of values and beliefs completely alien to the common canvas.

Islam does not discriminate between race or mother tongue. When you are born a muslim you are in that system that regulates all things in your life. Right? Intolerance of others is basic tenets in islam.

We had the Italians, the Greeks, the Vietnamese, etc...None imposed their ways on the rest of us. They had the usual integration pains, but are fully blend in our society.

It is only muslims who stand out anywhere they go.

Don't blame the Lebanese - most of them are upright Christian citizens who are contributing much to Australia.

This is not a “racial” BUT a “religious” issue. Like it or not.
Posted by coach, Thursday, 15 December 2005 11:01:40 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 24
  8. 25
  9. 26
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy