The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A Lebanese 'problem'? > Comments

A Lebanese 'problem'? : Comments

By Tanveer Ahmed, published 15/12/2005

Tanveer Ahmed argues there is a specific segment of the Lebanese community in Sydney causing the unrest.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 23
  7. 24
  8. 25
  9. Page 26
  10. All
KRPAGE. I am sorry to hear that you have to go through so much. I was born in Spain came to Australia age 2 and married a Lebanese Catholic man 18 years ago. I must say that at the time, even back then, I was worried about how my parents would react because he was Lebanese but they were fine with it. It was actually his parents were against it at the time. Things have worked out fine, he is a very good man.

However now we have children and they are part Lebanese and, like my husband, look of middle eastern appearance. My children have had it tough as we live in the Sutherland Shire. From the moment we moved here were felt the coldness against us. I actually didn't believe my husband at first when he used to tell me about how he was treated as he was such a polite and kind man. I as in for a shock. It was more of an ignoring/exclusion thing but it hurt just as much. In any event we stayed because we are Australian. If I had my time again I would move, my husband says he would stay regardless as he would rather be discriminated against than live in a community/country that stayed the same.

It is true that if you are Lebanese or part Lebanese you cannot call yourself Australian. Everybody says "Just say you are Australian", but nobody will accept it. They always ask for the truth. As if you are lying when you say you are Australian. My children were all born here yet nobody will accept their word when they say that they are Australian.

Of course at the end of the day we are still lucky to be in Australia. The trick is to make sure that things get better as we become wiser - not worse.

Education - Keeping them Honest
http://jolandachallita.typepad.com/education/
OUr children deserve better
Posted by Jolanda, Thursday, 9 August 2007 8:50:18 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi KRPAGE....

It might have been me saying the only problem the Christian Lebanese have is Organized crime.. I think you misunderstood me there..or I didn't express myself well....

I was not suggesting they alone have this problem,or that it is proportionatly bigger than for others, I was contrasting the Christian leb community with the Muslim. I'm saying it is their 'only' major problem and of course all other ethnic groups have that same problem.

The Muslim Lebs though (and increasing numbers of Afghans) have this problem mentioned on national TV by a Muslim youth worker (during the Cronulla period) and this is what he said:

1/ Muslim youth feel they are SUPERIOR to Australians
2/ They HATE Western values.

I hope no Christian lebanese feel like that, and I've not seen any evidence of it, but if that is a core value of the Muslims, then its a serious problem and challenge. Remember..it was not 'me' or some white reporter saying that..it was feedback directly from 'the horses mouth'

Lebanese Christian Aussies have fitted in very well, and done very well. I've seen sociology studies which clearly demonstrate this.

Regarding your own struggle.. true friends are not easy to find, but when you do, they are like gold.
With the horrible videos on youtube 'Lebo Thugs'.. it did not help the cause of ANYone looking Lebanese. Have a look at it and you will see what I mean 'Australia..under NEW MANAGEMENT'.. with the lebanese flag superimposed over our map.

This type of problem will not go away quickly. Keep your radar working for decent people to associate with... on every level. There are plenty out there.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Thursday, 9 August 2007 1:02:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 23
  7. 24
  8. 25
  9. Page 26
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy