The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A time when our religion belonged to us > Comments

A time when our religion belonged to us : Comments

By Bashir Goth, published 21/11/2005

Bashir Goth describes the Ramadan festivities he experienced as a child in Somalia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13
  13. 14
  14. All
Coach,

I was simply wishing Kay and David a Merry Christmas.

There are no tricks to it but simply our Holy Scripture. Muslims believe in Jesus as the Messiah and his virgin birth.

www.musliminisght.blogspot.com article ‘can we have our Jesus back’.

Muslims are the least to get offended by Christmas because Jesus is a prophet of Islam as well.
In fact, Egypt is a majority Muslims country and Orthodox Christmas is a public holiday (7th of January).

What we don’t share is Jesus divinity & original sin. Thats exclusive to your faith.

Safe Christmas (to every human, creature and plant) and peace to you all,
Posted by Fellow_Human, Wednesday, 7 December 2005 5:31:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hello everyone!

I enter this thread with blushing cheeks (of embarassment) and head bowed in shame (laughing).

"Scout" and "Coach", I do apologise - I did get you two mixed up. So much for commonsense and an analytical mind. I apologise to both of you. I feel like a real Richard Cranium.

Fellow_Human. Thank you for your wishes. And Peace to you.

After my incredible faux pas, I have had a re-think. FH, I don't know how you cope with the sh*t that gets heaped on you and others of your persuasion. I will do my best not to go off half c*cked again. I have severely reprimanded myself!

My husband and I were having a chat just a while ago. We were talking about our lives and how we learn from mistakes. We both shared many embarassing mistakes. But then we thought: "Oh well, that's life. We continue to make mistakes and learn from them". That's a heap better than having someone (or group) shoving their beliefs down your neck.

Cheers to all
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Wednesday, 7 December 2005 6:47:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kay.. it was 'divine retribution' :)) for saying "BD.. you put your foot in your mouth sooo much" :) *grin*

F.H. thanx for your kind wishes, back at ya too.. (hope u get that meaning)

COACH.. yes, do please try to be more loving. But still, we are all unique, different approaches, and if we allow ourselves, we are enriched by that diversity, even if just comparing ourselves and reflecting. Let us not add any offense to the already 'offensive' gospel :)

As we draw near to that special season, for those of us in Christ, we will increasingly feel the warmth of Gods Love, expressed in Jesus, along with friends and family. For those not yet In Christ they will still enjoy the season but perhaps not the spiritual dimension.

Lets all try to put the polarized polemic and struggle with issues out of the forefront of our minds as this special time approaches.

There will be many a Believer who would welcome the chance to embrace F.H. and SCOUT and yes.. EVEN Kenny and Almanac :) and in some way pass on the joy that we ourselves experience.

However we understand the birth of Christ, we are doing it with the 'light that we have'. We believers do try to shine more light, but we cannot bash down the door to do so. It must be opened from the inside.
Love and best wishes to all, and YES.. this is kinda on topic :)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 7 December 2005 8:46:05 PM
Thanks BOAZ_David,

Point taken - It is very difficult sometimes to bite our tongues long enough when others are having a ball at our expense. When they knowingly lie and/or refuse to open the door of reason…Sad so sad… you are right – the gospel is offensive to those who refuse to believe it. It needs to always be presented ‘in love’ though.

A blessed Christmas to you too and may God bless and protect our nation long enough until the truth prevails.

Keep up the good work – I enjoy reading you. Our work is not in vain.
Posted by coach, Wednesday, 7 December 2005 9:53:40 PM
"This great and vigorous culture, my Son, has been converted into a grim, austere and unattractive code of police laws by an ignorant horde of extremist groups."

The above words from the final paragraph of Bashir's heart felt article returned to me after reading Coach's post of Dec 6, directed to me:

"Scout,

Good worldviewish logic - I respect your views however there is a master of the universe - his name is Jesus - I am curious as how you chose not to believe this fact? Do you know what you are refusing to accept? Or is it mere arrogance on your part? "

Coach would use emotional blackmail to intimidate me to HIS world view. He makes it clear that I would be arrogant for not accepting his version of Jesus into my life. Further, he contradicts himself. He states he respects my world view and then proceeds to insinuate that I am arrogant.

Coach's intolerant post reveals that we have more to fear than just extremist Muslims forcing their religion on us - we have Christians who would tell us what to believe and how to believe. They will use any means at all: from emotional blackmail to the more pleading tones from posters like BD, to outright insults that I receive regularly from Philo.

I want to dance to my own tune - I will not be dictated by anyone, be they religious or not.

You may dance with me - but no-one is to lead.

Long live freedom of thought, of expression, of celebration.

Bashir you article has more revelence that I realised on first reading it.

Bashir I thank you.
Posted by Scout, Friday, 9 December 2005 7:45:18 AM
SCOUT

most interesting point :) "You may dance with me but no -one is to lead"

hmmm.. I think that is rather profound.. maybe in ways you dont think of,....but 'dancing' as a cultural practice actually DOES involve the male leading :) if not, they will go off in different directions.

Unless you're referring to the 'modern' youth dances where people stand in front of each other doing pelvic or breast thrusts along with a bit of wiggle wiggle....

I don't want to make too much of that, so don't gimme a broadside.

On your perception of our various approaches to your spiritual condition/status. I hope you will think past our own failings or poor judgement, as we stumble on our way to share God's love and truth with you. We are human you know, and we have moods, and sometimes our posts to you are done in the momentum of our reaction to some other post of incident in our lives.

Look past that...to Jesus. By all means compare us to Him, and let us know our failings on that basis.. we welcome it. All glory to Him.
Heb 10

"Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful; 24 and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, 25 not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more, as you see the day drawing near."

Even in this context, we who know Christ, will be doing this and at the same time, reaching out to you and all those who are yet to know Him.

You may criticize us on this basis if u like:

1 If then there is any encouragement in Christ, any consolation from love, any sharing in the Spirit, any compassion and sympathy, 2 make my joy complete: be of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. 3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit.... (Paul)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Friday, 9 December 2005 8:09:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13