The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > IR reform: sharing the pain and gain > Comments

IR reform: sharing the pain and gain : Comments

By Nicholas Gruen, published 24/11/2005

Nicholas Gruen argues the best time for IR reform is during an economic downturn.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
If the polls are correct, many are on the porch with the baseball bats ready.
Posted by hedgehog, Thursday, 24 November 2005 10:23:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree Hedgehog, most people I know who voted for him last have told me that if this is what he stands for they will never (as opposed to never ever) vote for him again.

The current system of protections of employment related conditions acts as an incentive in the less prosperous times for employers to look for more innovative ways to cut costs. My fear is that in a completely deregulated environment employers will slash workers conditions first leaving them (the workers) less inclined to assist the company out of it's crisis.

I suspect most employers will be too dumb to work out that an attack on conditions will result in a loss of employee loyalty.
Posted by Jake, Thursday, 24 November 2005 1:30:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jake seems to have met many of the employers i have.
Posted by hedgehog, Thursday, 24 November 2005 2:26:14 PM
Around 46 percent of jobs created between 1993 and 2003 paid uder $26000 a year. IR reforms or not we are a dog eat dog society already.
Tuff luck if your not the best of the best.
All employers will use and abuse, it doesnt matter who you work for in my experience.
Posted by bear, Thursday, 24 November 2005 4:58:06 PM
Howard's arguement for IR reforms is completely flawed. If it's actually true we are experiencing a booming economy and near full employment, the logical economic step for our nation to take is not to create more employment, but rather to increase investment in education and training, especially trades skills training. This is consistent with the skills shortage we are experiencing, and the lack of doctors, nurses, trades people and other service professionals in the community.

It is also consistent with my experience as a primary and secondary teacher for 10 years, where politicians on both sides have starved the schools of proper funding, and deprived teachers of the authority, respect, and resources to teach.

John Howard has virtually destroyed the Tertiary education system, and the TAFE trades, training, traineeships, and apprenticeships system. He will eventually go down as the worst Prime Minister and most corrupt politician this nation has ever had. Mark my words.

For further information, please view my website; http://onenationwa.tripod.com/
Teresa van Lieshout.
Posted by Teresa van Lieshout, Thursday, 24 November 2005 5:24:53 PM
While it might be strategic to introduce IR legislation while having a recession, it would be an unethical thing to do. The promotion of the IR legislation has been introduced in an unprecedented manner at a huge cost. Already examples have been found in relation to WA, Victoria and New Zealand to show that the legislation is unfair and damaging to numerous groups of employees.

When Mr. Howard states that the IR laws will be great; he is using the fundamental orifice of a bull as his megaphone.
Posted by ant, Thursday, 24 November 2005 7:10:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy