The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > IR reform: sharing the pain and gain > Comments

IR reform: sharing the pain and gain : Comments

By Nicholas Gruen, published 24/11/2005

Nicholas Gruen argues the best time for IR reform is during an economic downturn.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
...."In inflation adjusted terms federal funding for Health in the budget has increased over 40% since Howard came to office. It is a total myth the idea that Howard has cut Health funding.".....

This is not really correct. The facts are, the amount of tax revenue collected by the Howard government has increased every budget year under the Howard government. In this financial year it is expected to be close to $205 billion. The % of the total budget spent on health is only 18%. This % has not increased over 10 years, despite record levels of taxation revenue, and budget surpluses collected. The budget surplus for the next financial year is expected to be $14-16 billion, and none of it has been ear-marked for education or health. Health spending has remained the same over 10 years, but inflation and increased tax revenue collected mean that it has actually decreased proportionally to these variables.
Posted by Teresa van Lieshout, Sunday, 27 November 2005 2:44:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Teresa, So if what you are saying is correct, the majority of the population, may face lower incomes, not compensated with an increase of Government services, even though the Government has plenty of money to fund the services, do I read you correctly. G'day David, hope you are well.
Posted by SHONGA, Monday, 28 November 2005 4:40:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That's right Shonga.

The Howard government has been doing it every budget year. Collecting greater tax revenue and not increasing spending on health or education proportionate to this increase in tax. That's what a budget surplus is; they collect more than they spend. Costello claims publically that surpluses are for the government's "unfunded superannuation liabilities", and to "retire debt", (foreign debt). Foreign Debt in Australia is about $549 billion (last Dec 2004 qtr). You can get these figures from the ABS.
But now, we are going to be working more for less, with no tax relief, or relief only for the rich. And the business council says we need IR reform to stay competitive and keep living standards UP compared to other nations. This is rubbish, because our wages are going to be brought DOWN in order to be on par with other nations lower living standards. It's difficult for us to be competitive now internationally with our labour rates, because Howard and Costello have not developed Australian owned industries, companies, and businesses, but rather have sold most of our assets and industries to foreign corporations, and pursued globalist policies. The story of 'One Nation' is proving true and that is why I quit the liberal party and ran as a candidate with One Nation in the last state election, as they are the only political group who promote Australian interests, and are essentially an Australia-First party.
Check out my candidates web-site; http://onenationpwa.tripod.com/
regards, Teresa.
Posted by Teresa van Lieshout, Tuesday, 29 November 2005 5:04:52 PM
Teresa, interesting site, What I fail to see is how the average family will be better off with a tax cut, instead of increased services. We get a tax cut, then the services we used to get are privatised, so we spend our tax cut on the services we used to recieve, paid for by our taxes, where is the win there, I certainly am unable to find one for the average low income family. Perhaps the more affluent among society may recieve more than the cost of services, in their tax cut, but for the battler, it will be same old, same old...
Posted by SHONGA, Monday, 5 December 2005 10:11:48 AM
baccccccck from the SINBIN

IR REFORM

“The employer will determine when and where u work, not you” (Hedgehog)

Hedgy, this might seem like a ‘remarkable grasp of the obvious’ but.. umm sounds like you want the tail to wag the dog there ? How in the heck could ANY business run if the employees tell the manager/founder “Now listen here chum, I’m going to work thus and so, and up yours if u don’t like it” I mean..c’mon.. if you want to have any credibility you HAVE to do better than this mate. Very shabby thinking.. shabby indeed.

AARON. Thanx for your sympathetic support during my time in the sin bin :) I could never hate you mate, with a name like that..’Brother of Moses’ but if I may take issue with one of your points.....

<<Anyway, I feel that knuckle-dusters and clubs are soooo last century, don’t you?>>

THE “LEFT” AND VIOLENCE
Actually, it was like last year or 2 and Craig Johnston who is described as

“Trade unionist and political prisoner Craig Johnston” by the Green Left Weekly,
<<Johnston was convicted on two charges of affray, one of assault and one of damaging property during the raids in June 2001 >>(TheAge).
is one ‘thug’ who rampaged through Johnson Tiles and Skilled Engineering with SUCH ‘Clubs and knuckle dusters’ attitude. It is clear that the Green Left view ‘violence’ as a legitimate form of political protest.
Does it surprise anyone that Mr Wreith brought in a few Rotty’s to deal with the MUA ?

MANAGEMENT THEORY
Trends in Management Theory have been moving away from the ‘workers/bosses’ approach for a long time now. There is much more ‘inclusive’ thinking. In a free society, we cannot escape from some people who (like my own former boss) have the attitude that “Leadership is when I say something, others follow”. (as opposed to “inspiring them to achieve shared goals”) But through a greater sense of ‘community’ perhaps we can ostracize and shame such people into ‘repentance’ from that type of approach ?

T.U.S. good and valid points..key word “uncorrupted” (Seldom happens)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 5 December 2005 11:42:04 AM
David, I wasn't aware that you had spent time in the "SINBIN" what happened, you of all people would be the last person I would have thought, would go there. I have been there, but for due cause, you on the other hand usually explain your view, with dignity and persuasion, anyway welcome back mate, hope to hear a lot more from you, Regards,Shaun
Posted by SHONGA, Monday, 5 December 2005 12:57:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy