The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Multiculturalism in Australia works > Comments

Multiculturalism in Australia works : Comments

By Waleed Aly, published 27/7/2005

Waleed Aly argues the lack of any retaliation on Australian Muslims shows that multiculturalism in Australia works.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
I sincerely hope Waleed Aly is right, and that Australia's mature and effective multiculturalism blunts the ideology of division that drives both the terrorists and those who commit hate crimes in response. That few hate crimes followed the Bali and Jakarta bombings is also a positive sign.

While we may have refrained from criminal violence, however, there is evidence of growing tendency in parts of the community to support an ideology of divisiveness achieved through the use of state powers – e.g. emphasising tighter citizenship conditions, greater government surveillance and controls, or more explicitly discriminatory measures targeted at Muslims or migrants. Some of the contributors and commentators in these forums are expressing such views.

This, of course, is likely to be welcomed by the bombers, whose purposes include inflaming antagonism and fear between Muslims and non-Muslims. If anyone believes that western conservatism is the only ideological foe of the values and practices of multiculturalism, pause for a minute to imagine what Bin Laden thinks of it.

So thank you Waleed Aly, for pointing out that multiculturalism is not the cause of terrorist acts, but part of the solution. The best defiance we can show against the hate-mongers of all persuasions is to continue showing respect for those who are different and celebrating our diversity, refusing to forget that “there is more we have in common than there is that divides us.”
Posted by Rhian, Wednesday, 27 July 2005 3:08:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Waleed

Multiculturalism died... the day that the ISLAMIC COUNCIL of Victoria attempted to 'DIMMIFY' the people of Christ in Victoria.

The concept of multi-culturalism is flawed. It's also insulting. When people from 'Greece or Italy' come to 'Australia' they come as our invited guests, and with the expection that they will regard themselves as AUSTRALIANS first, and 'of Greek or Italian ancestry second.

The idea that they would do so only until they 'had the numbers' to re-shape the community in a 'Greek or Italian' way, is an affront to the host country of unimaginable magnitude. But this does not happen, because Greeks and Italians are basically of the Judao Christian stream of history. Such is not the case with Muslims.

No serious Muslim instructed in the foundations of their faith, would EVER come to Australia with the idea of being 'less muslim'. Sadly they come expecting to change our existing laws, re-shaping our society, and silencing any criticism of their faith.

Why ? because "Islam" is a package. It involves the idea of State, Culture and Morality. The last 2 are ok, its the FIRST which is the worry.

The speediest way to incite 'anti muslim' feeling and to cause people to become active in restricting Muslim immigration is to bite the hand which feeds you.

I call on the ICV to APOLOGISE for its relentless persecution of Christians from CTF. and to pay their legal costs, and to re-build the home of an associate which some fanatics BURNT DOWN !

To do less, would be a grave and lasting insult to Australia.

That you even dare to write about Multi culturalism is amazing to me since you are in my opinion responsible for destroying it.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 27 July 2005 5:12:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David
Do you regard yourself as a Christian first, or an Australian first?
Posted by Rhian, Wednesday, 27 July 2005 5:17:38 PM
I am sorry to sound a bit immature, but reading the letters (to the editor) in the papers and reading comments against further migration and multiculturalism in these forums, has put an old song in my head.

So in the words of Joe Dolche, (Novelty song this may be, but it makes the point more direct, don't ya think?) ;)

"Whats the matter you? Hey! Gotta no respect? Hey! What you think you are doin'? Hey! Why you looking so sad? "Ah its a not so bad. Its a nicer place, Hey! SHUDDAPAYA FACE! :) Multi culturalism may have its flaws, but it would be a boring country without it. :)
Posted by silent minority, Wednesday, 27 July 2005 5:58:29 PM
Biggest fear I have of Muslims is getting fat because of their hospitality to guests. Too much great food.

I'm Jewish - part of a minority group - grew up in a Jewish part of Leeds UK. Jews generally need to live close to synagogues and kosher food shops, and Jewish schools. Seems quite normal to me if other cultures/religions congregate in similar fashion.

Mixing with people of diverse cultures is rich, so much to learn, takes you out of your comfort zone and encourages you to review your own ideas and assumptions. There are plenty of shared values such as love of family, expression through art, music, dance and basic human needs to feel safe and loved. And sure in each culture, race, religion there are loads of examples of extremism, wrongness, but this applies to white Western nations too.

I feel more affinity to some Muslims than to some Australians (I'm thinking the behaviours displayed via Big Brother)
Besides, Australia's people are black, and the nations to the north are Asian. How can Australia be anything else but multicultural?
Posted by Shoshana, Wednesday, 27 July 2005 7:30:01 PM
Yes, multiculturalism works if you haven't been taken to the courts by Muslims against free-speech in Victoria
Posted by Benji, Wednesday, 27 July 2005 8:26:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy