The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Multiculturalism in Australia works > Comments

Multiculturalism in Australia works : Comments

By Waleed Aly, published 27/7/2005

Waleed Aly argues the lack of any retaliation on Australian Muslims shows that multiculturalism in Australia works.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
BOAZ

Hi David - thanks for the referral to Tim Priest's paper. It is an exceptional read. I have heard Tim speak on radio on many occasions prior to his retirement. This paper is consistent with his previous assertions. When will the do-gooders listen?

On what grounds has Peter Ryan now become an anti-terrorist expert? Beats me. Heard him on radio with John Laws last week.

I lived in Cabramatta back in the late sixties - lasted about 6 months. It was scarey then. The last train I caught in NSW was filled with people of Middle Eastern and Asian appearance. I was the only white person. No-one was speaking English. I got "the finger" from several young men of Middle Eastern appearance. I have said this on another thread - some posters suggested that I am racist. I am not. One of my close friends is an Aboriginal person. My husband and I left Sydney mid 2002 never to return!

To the "do-gooders" - try and sit on the train as I did. Try and walk down the street as I did. A most frightening experience.

I have taught Police Studies Students from the Academy when they were on placement with our mental health service. They all said the same thing as university nursing students - along these lines: "We don't get enough hands on experience. We are not ready for the real world".
Posted by kalweb, Monday, 1 August 2005 9:00:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
BOAZ_David, I've had a read of the referenced link. If true it is scary stuff but looks more like a problem with our judicial system and police management than a racial issue.

It seems to me that a lot of racial groups have been noted for disobeying our laws. In Queensland it used to be Vietnamise and mass breaking of fishing laws, I don't know if that is still happening. I went prawning at Jacobs Well and had a good look at that operation. Hard on the environment but less dangerous than standover merchants, drug sellers etc.

I would like to see that stuff dealt with much more firmly, for the new arrivals make it easier to get in and easier to get kicked out. At the same time I have the impression that many of these issues settle down over time. The spurge of the new found freedoms kind of thing. How do we help people of "Middle Eastern appearance" settle into our communites (the ones who are not doing well so far)?

Glad I live in Queensland and not Sydney by the sound of it.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 1 August 2005 10:16:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What Walheed Aly means is that "Multiculturalism works" for Muslims, that is. Under Multiculturalism Muslims get a free pass, having rights without any responsibility.

If there have been little trouble with the Islamic community (of course, who cares about rape and hate literature!) it is because of the relatively small numbers of Muslims. As the number of Muslims grow, it is certain that the problems will get more serious. My understanding is this hate and anger is the very essence of Islam. Muslims suffer, and they want others to suffer, too. Oh yes, and its all your fault.

Have you noticed that when anybody protests Muslim behavior, it is a "backlash" by "racists". When Imans in the Mosques preach their hatred towards all other religions, and even against those host countries that welcomed them, it is a "mistake" and has nothing to do with the "real, peaceful Islam".

This is important... Keep your eyes on Europe (particularly Holland, Sweden and Norway) if you want to see how Multiculturalism is working. Dont trust big Media or Government, because they refuse to face reality. Talk to people from those countries, if possible, or check out these European blogs that report on immigration matters:
http://fjordman.blogspot.com/
http://bearstrong.net/warblog/
http://enough.typepad.com/
http://www.peaktalk.com/
http://www.zachtei.nl/
http://gatesofvienna.blogspot.com/

Things are going to get worse, because so many people don't care. Bombs on buses can happen in the US and Australia, and a Beslin type situation is cannot be ruled out. This is sad and tragic, but it is also Multiculturalism.

John, Aka Kactuz
Posted by kactuz, Tuesday, 2 August 2005 7:28:34 AM
Why is it that I see so many fringe dwellers on this forum when these issues are being discussed? Why don't you guys (women could not be stupid enough to subscribe to such infantile views) just stay at Peter Faris QC's blog where you belong?
Posted by Irfan, Tuesday, 2 August 2005 10:50:10 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Irfan, do not be so quick to dismiss the ability of women to subscribe to infantile views! all PEOPLE can be stupid, as so many of these forums have demonstrated.
Posted by Laurie, Tuesday, 2 August 2005 11:26:08 AM
Irfan, perhaps its you who is the 'feral fringe dweller" :)

Question:
do you accept that the dominamt prevailing culture of Australia is Anglo/celtic/northern European ? (12.7million out of 16million citizens at 2001 census who also identify with the Judao Christian tradition.)

(no lectures on history please, I know it all)

-That government and all our institutions should rightly reflect this heritage ?

-Do you agree to respect that cultural balance ?

Do you commmit NOT to seek to change it in any way which could socially or culturally advantage your own, and disadvantage that predominant culture ?

Do you recognize that to do otherwise is a cultural and social insult of the most racist, intolerant and perverse kind ?

Lets see how 'fringe' you are :)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 2 August 2005 12:57:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy