The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Let's eat kangaroo > Comments

Let's eat kangaroo : Comments

By Jennifer Marohasy, published 23/9/2005

Jennifer Marohasy argues it makes good economic sense and environmental policy to commercially harvest wild animals.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Good one Jennifer!

I love eating both animals on the coat of arms. Yum!

One day we should all ask without surprise "who put the roo in the stew"

Sing along now!

Skippy, Skippy
Skippy the Bush Kangaroo
Skippy, Skippy
Skippy, our friend in the stew.

Kangaroo tail soup recipe

Ingredients:
1 Kangaroo tail
2 pounds Beef
3 Carrots
3 Onions
1 bunch herbs
Pepper and salt
Butter

Directions:

Cut the tail into joints and fry brown in butter, slice the vegetables and fry them also. cut the meat into thin slices and boil all for 4 hours in 3 quarts of water. Take out the pieces of tail, strain the stock, thicken it with flour, put back the pieces of tail and boil up another 10 minutes before serving

From " A Taste of the Past - Some Pioneer Cooks of Happy Valley and the Southern Hills" - South Australia

Recipe URL:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/628/KangarooTailSoup19295.shtml
Posted by Rainier, Friday, 23 September 2005 5:24:13 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I cant seem to get skippy meat soft enough for my liking, any tips?

Kababs are really good though!
Posted by wrighta, Friday, 23 September 2005 8:54:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I was a vegetarian for six years and I can happily report that we can survive without meat.

Having said that I think Australia is way to precious on the topic of whaling. I think Iceland makes a very good point.
Posted by Terje, Sunday, 25 September 2005 7:36:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Jennifer,
As a person with some environmental credential to their name, wouldnt you be doing the environment a bit of a disservice by not advocating the destruction and consumption of animals that dont belong here first. Goats, pigs, bunnies, tilapia, buffalo,dogs, brumbies, donkeys and camels to name a few. People of various cultures eat these animals.
The "scientific" methods you describe leave out the equations used for making ecologically informed decisions, and the techniques described are fundamentally flawed perhaps to allow for commercial manipulation. Would you do any good running a cattle staion in this manner... theres a bit more to it than that.
Comparing our aborigines and those of Iceland is a bit of a stretch, but then again, a white lipped treefrog and a granny smith apple are about the same colour.
Only now are we starting to understand the lifecycles of the dugong, we're still not sure about how long they live and their social behaviours. They cry real tears as they are being drowned by aborigines in aluminium boats. They are also very tasty and a status symbol for indigenous gatherings, but being quite large, a lot end up at the rubbish tip when the party moves on.
An example that just because an act is entrenched in societal behaviours, dosent make it the right thing to do.
I'm sure that the vast majority of whales dont eat each other, though I'm no expert on animal behaviour, and what consenting adult whales do...
I would rather see kangaroos farmed for consumption, you would have better control over what they eat and if all the empirical evidence presented added up, you'd have a herd that never needed restocking. Which might partly offset the cost of very high fences.
With regard to whaling, Australia should do one of its submarines up to look like a whale then when the scientific researchers fire a scientific explosive harpoon, we research the effects of explosives upon whaling boats. To ensure the integity of the program we'd keep a tiny bone from the ear....

Peace, Love, Brown rice and mung beans!
Posted by The all seeing omnipotent voice of reason, Sunday, 25 September 2005 11:13:07 PM
When whales are in the same kind of numbers that roo's are then by all means.
Posted by Kenny, Monday, 26 September 2005 8:51:51 AM
I have to agree in part with Kenny. when the numbers are similar, AND THE ENVIRONMENT IN WHICH THESE MAMMALS EXIST IS SIMILAR, then the reasoning is similar. However, its hard to see that applying here. I've eaten 'roo, emu, crocodile. I've eaten lamb, beef, pork, venison. I've eaten most commercial fish and crustaceans. I have NEVER, and simply COULD never eat whale. I confess I would become extremely agitated if somebody placed a bowl of steaming whale meat in front of me. I fully acknolwdege that indiginous societies have a need to find food where they can, and feel the need to continue to do so. The numbers would be comparatively negligible. HOWEVER, this does NOT equate to commercial fishing. Massive aquatic factory ships, including these thrice accursed so called 'research vessels' literally scoop every single living thing from MASSIVE cubic volumes of ocean. NOTHING survives, let alone whales. The comparison between eating whales and eating kangaroo is spurious. There are many, many MILLIONS of 'roos. There is no risk of them being hunted to extinction whatsoever. Regardless of whether any NEED to be culled, I believe they COULD, indeed perhaps even SHOULD be harvested sustainably; preferably in lieu of sheep and cattle, whose hard hoofs and low to the ground eating habits denude our overtaxed soil and significantly contribute to creation of dustbowls and ruined pasture land, of which we have so precious little to waste. Its a big country, but contains so little good grazing land that it ought to be much better protected from denigration by hard hoofed foreign species imports.
Posted by omygodnoitsitsitsyou, Monday, 26 September 2005 1:13:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy