The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Let's eat kangaroo > Comments

Let's eat kangaroo : Comments

By Jennifer Marohasy, published 23/9/2005

Jennifer Marohasy argues it makes good economic sense and environmental policy to commercially harvest wild animals.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Good one Jennifer!

I love eating both animals on the coat of arms. Yum!

One day we should all ask without surprise "who put the roo in the stew"

Sing along now!

Skippy, Skippy
Skippy the Bush Kangaroo
Skippy, Skippy
Skippy, our friend in the stew.

Kangaroo tail soup recipe

Ingredients:
1 Kangaroo tail
2 pounds Beef
3 Carrots
3 Onions
1 bunch herbs
Pepper and salt
Butter

Directions:

Cut the tail into joints and fry brown in butter, slice the vegetables and fry them also. cut the meat into thin slices and boil all for 4 hours in 3 quarts of water. Take out the pieces of tail, strain the stock, thicken it with flour, put back the pieces of tail and boil up another 10 minutes before serving

From " A Taste of the Past - Some Pioneer Cooks of Happy Valley and the Southern Hills" - South Australia

Recipe URL:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/628/KangarooTailSoup19295.shtml
Posted by Rainier, Friday, 23 September 2005 5:24:13 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I cant seem to get skippy meat soft enough for my liking, any tips?

Kababs are really good though!
Posted by wrighta, Friday, 23 September 2005 8:54:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I was a vegetarian for six years and I can happily report that we can survive without meat.

Having said that I think Australia is way to precious on the topic of whaling. I think Iceland makes a very good point.
Posted by Terje, Sunday, 25 September 2005 7:36:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Jennifer,
As a person with some environmental credential to their name, wouldnt you be doing the environment a bit of a disservice by not advocating the destruction and consumption of animals that dont belong here first. Goats, pigs, bunnies, tilapia, buffalo,dogs, brumbies, donkeys and camels to name a few. People of various cultures eat these animals.
The "scientific" methods you describe leave out the equations used for making ecologically informed decisions, and the techniques described are fundamentally flawed perhaps to allow for commercial manipulation. Would you do any good running a cattle staion in this manner... theres a bit more to it than that.
Comparing our aborigines and those of Iceland is a bit of a stretch, but then again, a white lipped treefrog and a granny smith apple are about the same colour.
Only now are we starting to understand the lifecycles of the dugong, we're still not sure about how long they live and their social behaviours. They cry real tears as they are being drowned by aborigines in aluminium boats. They are also very tasty and a status symbol for indigenous gatherings, but being quite large, a lot end up at the rubbish tip when the party moves on.
An example that just because an act is entrenched in societal behaviours, dosent make it the right thing to do.
I'm sure that the vast majority of whales dont eat each other, though I'm no expert on animal behaviour, and what consenting adult whales do...
I would rather see kangaroos farmed for consumption, you would have better control over what they eat and if all the empirical evidence presented added up, you'd have a herd that never needed restocking. Which might partly offset the cost of very high fences.
With regard to whaling, Australia should do one of its submarines up to look like a whale then when the scientific researchers fire a scientific explosive harpoon, we research the effects of explosives upon whaling boats. To ensure the integity of the program we'd keep a tiny bone from the ear....

Peace, Love, Brown rice and mung beans!
Posted by The all seeing omnipotent voice of reason, Sunday, 25 September 2005 11:13:07 PM
When whales are in the same kind of numbers that roo's are then by all means.
Posted by Kenny, Monday, 26 September 2005 8:51:51 AM
I have to agree in part with Kenny. when the numbers are similar, AND THE ENVIRONMENT IN WHICH THESE MAMMALS EXIST IS SIMILAR, then the reasoning is similar. However, its hard to see that applying here. I've eaten 'roo, emu, crocodile. I've eaten lamb, beef, pork, venison. I've eaten most commercial fish and crustaceans. I have NEVER, and simply COULD never eat whale. I confess I would become extremely agitated if somebody placed a bowl of steaming whale meat in front of me. I fully acknolwdege that indiginous societies have a need to find food where they can, and feel the need to continue to do so. The numbers would be comparatively negligible. HOWEVER, this does NOT equate to commercial fishing. Massive aquatic factory ships, including these thrice accursed so called 'research vessels' literally scoop every single living thing from MASSIVE cubic volumes of ocean. NOTHING survives, let alone whales. The comparison between eating whales and eating kangaroo is spurious. There are many, many MILLIONS of 'roos. There is no risk of them being hunted to extinction whatsoever. Regardless of whether any NEED to be culled, I believe they COULD, indeed perhaps even SHOULD be harvested sustainably; preferably in lieu of sheep and cattle, whose hard hoofs and low to the ground eating habits denude our overtaxed soil and significantly contribute to creation of dustbowls and ruined pasture land, of which we have so precious little to waste. Its a big country, but contains so little good grazing land that it ought to be much better protected from denigration by hard hoofed foreign species imports.
Posted by omygodnoitsitsitsyou, Monday, 26 September 2005 1:13:58 PM
As the species of the world abate and humans continue to profilferate out of control, surely it would be more logical to put humans onto dinner plate.
This statement would be funny if it was not for the truth of the matter.
Posted by LivinginLondon, Monday, 26 September 2005 6:12:57 PM
I was a vegetarian for some years and survived without serious problems, but then I came up against a moral dilemma: I couldn't guarantee that the plants I was eating were not suffering. Perhaps a potato being harvested feels just as much distress as a sheep being slaughtered. Perhaps my desire to not eat things with faces was just a kind of self-centredness based on the fact that I have a face. Then, as luck would have it, my girlfriend went to live in the UK and I went through a bit of a crisis and ended up eating whatever I feel like.

As it happens, I like kangaroo meat, and have never found it to be excessively tough. I have never eaten whale - or dog, for that matter - but I don't think I would have any problem with it, as long as it was harvested in a sustainable manner. You have to draw the line somewhere, of course, and I would probably choose not to eat fellow humans, as long as there is a reasonable alternative.
Posted by Ian, Tuesday, 27 September 2005 5:31:22 AM
The secret to tender Roo meat is to do it gently and not over done. I have eaten flying fox, dog and python. The blackfellas of the inland particularly like cats. I trust their judgement long before some urban whimsy.

The real issue with the roo harvest and, indeed, any wildlife harvest, is one of appropriate scale and timing. We know from numerous field reports that an 80% decline in roo populations during drought (1 in 4 years)is the norm. A similar scale decline in the population of Gliders was recorded by Sharpe et al, at Bungawalbyn.

Many of our best farmers also advise that an 80% reduction in the stocking rate for sheep or cattle is the best way to conserve both ecological and productive capital in response to a pending drought.

So why do we have these political and departmental boofheads who insist on uniform 10% harvest prescriptions to "protect" a population that is about to die a very slow, miserable and cruelly negligent death?

Ditto for whales. The East Coast whale population is circa 7,000 with a NET annual increase of 10%. I don't know what the annual "natural" death rate is but a management regime that retains breeding aged females and dominant males (just as beef producers do) would pose no threat to the continued expansion of the population.

It is a simple concept, first grasped by mankind over 10,000 years ago as the basis of animal husbandry. But how much longer will it take to seep into the collective wit of the various EPA's and DEH?
Posted by Perseus, Tuesday, 27 September 2005 10:22:54 AM
I would love to try whale meat. Thats the only reason we need to get whale numbers up, so people like me can eat them. It's also the best incentive for protecting a species.
Posted by wrighta, Tuesday, 27 September 2005 9:06:06 PM
Dugong is good tucker and stingray (but you gotta know how to prepare it) I've never tried whale, too hard to catch with little dingy. Perseus, you'd be waiting a long time for the DEH and EPA to come to their senses. Bureacrats with diplomas in land management and zoology don't know jack about country. But i sense you know this already...
Posted by Rainier, Tuesday, 27 September 2005 10:28:58 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tell me, Wrighta & Rainier, don't you think it is about time a bunch of coastal Blackfellas and their pioneer neighbours re-asserted their traditional rights to feast up on a beached whale before the fish molesters and cameras arrive? It is, after all, a part of nature's bounty that used to be shared around. What law has decreed that a newly dead whale belongs to "Parks and Wildlife"? Who gave the local council the right to just bury the thing when it could be stocking up a whole bunch of freezers?
Posted by Perseus, Wednesday, 28 September 2005 10:57:42 AM
You're right Perseus - next time there is a beached whale - once it dies we should whip out the barbies and start cutting off fillets.

Bring an esky, a cricket bat and tennis ball and we can celebrate the life of the whale by making sure it's body doesn't go to waste.

Ladies, bring a salad.

On a serious note, don't these animal rights activists realise that if humans like eating an animal, it guarantees there will be large numbers.

Do you honestly think sheep or cattle would be so abundant across the world if we didn't eat them. Eating them ensures there survival.

Similar with kangaroos, the aboriginals used to burn thicker forests to create open woodland - like a big kangaroo farm - which ensured there were enough roos to go round.

PS Kanga kebabs marinated in garlic, olive oil and a bit of paprika are fantastic when cooked on the barbie. High in protein too for all those Atkins fans

t.u.s.
Posted by the usual suspect, Wednesday, 28 September 2005 3:17:40 PM
Perseus, I had no idea Aborigine’s traditionally ate beached whale? Is that true?

The the usual suspect, YES! I couldn’t agree more. But are there any health risks associated with eating beached whale? I take it, its still fresh?

What happens after the whales have died? If they have only recently died, are they still ok to eat??

:S
Posted by wrighta, Wednesday, 28 September 2005 6:09:49 PM
Wrighta, I imagine it would stay fresh for a few hours at the least. The Beach Barbecuers would just have to get down there as quick as the Greenpeacers when a whale takes a sandy holiday.

But instead of pouring water on the beast to keep it alive, we can use marinate - soy and honey works well on whale I hear.

t.u.s
Posted by the usual suspect, Thursday, 29 September 2005 10:28:31 AM
It is interesting mind set, isn't it Wrighta, that we can assume that an intelligent, resourceful and well informed people who are keen observers of their surroundings, and who obtained food from such a broad range of sources and species, but who sometimes went hungry, have somehow been incapable of recognising and utilising a good feed of whale when it presented itself in the beach. Fat chance.

The feast would have lasted a lot longer than a few hours as the exposed meat would have been continually washed by the waves. Bacteria would generally form on the exposed meat but if this exposed portion is being continually removed (like cutting slices of a leg of ham) then the rate of decay is significantly reduced.

Obviously, decay would be faster in mid-summer but salt water is well recognised as a pretty good preservative. Can anyone seriously believe a lean bunch of blackfellas in a hard winter would rather just sit around on a midden eating Pippies?
Posted by Perseus, Thursday, 29 September 2005 11:07:35 AM
No wonder Ian Campbell our Minister for the Environment does not want to raise the spectre of the commercial kangaroo killing industry which profits a small band of private profiteers. They make a killing in selling flesh and skin from our so called protected, native wildlife.
Has Jennifer Marohasy a vested interest in pushing this unsustainable, unclean, ungreen national disgrace? The Australian government is the only one in the world which permits large scale cruelty to animals. When a mother kangaroo is spot blinded and shot she usually has an in pouch joey attached to her nipple. That joey is pulled off and (according to the Code of Practice) either bashed to death with a metal pipe or beaten against the shooter's truck, or has its throat cut. Meanwhile, the at foot joey which depends on its mother for its survival (she has another nipple which feeds that joey with different type of milk) hops away in terror and is then abandoned to die a cruel death of starvation, thirst, exposure or predation. 4.5 million kangaroo young-at-foot were left to a cruel death in the last decade. If you support the push to eat kangaroo meat or use ADIDAS shoes some of which are made from kangaroo skin then be aware that you are part of this disgusting cruelty. Enjoy and Bon Apetit.
Posted by Raindrop, Thursday, 29 September 2005 1:28:55 PM
Really, Raindrop. And when can we expect you to show up at the onset of the next drought to pay for and assist with your share of the suplemental feeding of all those unculled roos who will die such a desperate death that they rip the last vestiges of grass out by the roots before doing so?

Until you do, you are just another urban day tripper, scoring cheap thrills from moralistic platitudes while remaining carefully insulated from the dreadful consequences of your ignorance. But don't worry, just flick the channel and graze contentedly on something a bit more self affirming. Check out the fashions, you don't even have to go outside.
Posted by Perseus, Friday, 30 September 2005 11:35:07 AM
Apparently the beaching of a whale was one of the things which kept the peace for aboriginal tribes, at least on the east coast.

Traditionally, tribes had certain boundaries and coastal tribes did not mix that much with inner tribes - certainly, hunting in another tribes area was outlawed.

However, whenever a whale beached itself, word soon got around and it was used a celebration for many tribes, who were invited to the coast to feast on the beast.

similar to the feasts on the bogong moths in the summer time at Mount Kosiouszko.

So keep your knives sharp boys (and girls) next time a whale beaches its blubber time.

t.u.s.
Posted by the usual suspect, Tuesday, 4 October 2005 11:44:39 AM
I think the last word on this issue of Blackfellas eating whales should go to the splendid documentary on ABC TV last night (9/10/05) on the interaction between Killer Whales, Blackfellas and the whalers of Eden, NSW. For this was no mere incidental relationship.

Blackfellas had long established the practise where the Orca's herded passing whales into the shallows where they could be killed. And they were instrumental in passing on this knowledge to the Davidsons as they formed the major part of the rowing crews and were by far the best harpooners. The custom of leaving the killed whale overnight so the Orca's could take the prized tongue as payment for their contribution lasted more than a century.

Indeed, it is worth noting that this three way co-operation between Orca's, Blackfellas and settlers that worked so well was only broken by ignorant outsiders who broke a sacred trust.

The story itself would make an Oscar winning screenplay of Gothic proportions. And Blackfellas can proudly proclaim that there would have been no Australian Whaling industry without their critical contribution. Dine well, fellas, it is your right.
Posted by Perseus, Monday, 10 October 2005 4:32:55 PM
Wish you had mentioned it before the doco was on, Perseus =)

Not to worry, i'm sure there will be a repeat.
Posted by wrighta, Monday, 10 October 2005 10:45:04 PM
Why not see if Imparja can get a copy? The betrayal and response of "Old Tom" the lead Orca, by the operator of the new steamboat, is an incredible story.
Posted by Perseus, Tuesday, 11 October 2005 10:48:47 AM
I think the so called kangaroo harvest is disgusting, the government isn't worried about controlling numbers, all they're interested in is exploiting them for profit.
Kangaroos don't need controlling their numbers are as they should be, even the first seetlers wrote in many of their diaries that they were plentiful. And in places where their numbers may be higher than shouid be, then they should use more effective humane ways, like fertility control.
Nationally counts in commercial zones of Queensland, NSW, SA and WA show recent declines of from 9% (western greys), 54% (wallaroos), 55% (red kangaroos) to 63% (eastern greys). The notion of ‘plague proportions’ is propaganda to support kangaroo killing on a massive scale.
It states on a website called kangaroo slaughter which is set up to exspose the truth behind the kill, that Kill permits were given out to kill around 1000 kangaroos at Googong Dam because the ACT was saying in the media that they were causing erosion so that was the reason to kill the kangaroos, then when they pointed out that domestic stock may also be causing the erosion, the reason was changed, and the kangaroos were declared to be starving, and it was kinder to kill them.
Protest were set up there and on the day of the protest they found no starving kangaroos and took pictures of the local kangaroos which show they were doing just fine.
This was the first time that NSW National Parks has ever issued kill permits in a Protected Area. It was also the first time they have used commercial kangaroo shooters in this manner. After some investigation they discovered that NSW National Parks were developing management Plans for new National Parks, which make provision for the shooting of kangaroos in those National Parks!

In other words, a strategy is being developed within the two government departments, without due consultation process, to provide commercial kangaroo shooters with access to Protected Areas, including National Parks. Nowhere in NSW or ACT will be safe for kangaroos, with no point of refuge provided for the protection of our national icons.
Posted by nate, Friday, 24 February 2006 4:44:13 PM
With out farmers (animal or vegetable) you wouldn't exist!

It doesn't matter what type of animal is in fashion, all humans rely on farming food resources of all kinds (in fences and in the wild) to prosper (for better or for worse).
The biggest problem of all is that there are large concentrations of humans living in intensive farming lots called cities and just like battery hens they have lost their connection with nature they live empty lives shuffling papers and punching key pads, following fashions and indulging in deluded self righteous crusades with no foundation in natural order of things. Wake up! Bust out of your cage go spend some time in nature!live off the land for a few years,go hungry, get your hands dirty, kill animals to eat, grow or collect vegetables with out relying on the plastic wrapped food warehouses,look ,listen and learn! Live a real life then make judgments based on reality.
Posted by jimmyppp, Tuesday, 11 September 2007 2:17:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy