The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A wish for a less absolutist world > Comments

A wish for a less absolutist world : Comments

By Bashir Goth, published 25/1/2017

In the age of the internet, we seem to have lost touch with civility and good judgement.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
A better question is: Is humanity redeemable?

There are plenty of short answers to this philosophical question.
Well nature is to blame through the evolutionary process, for the state of the human cause. The greater the world population, the greater the absurdity of humanity.

Of corse, out of this the question, further questions are raised; is there a universal morality?
Most people I know, ( including myself at times), are genuinely surprised at the diversity of opinion on any particular subject. This state of mind tends to make people defensive.

After defence, comes attack and retribution. This the author identifies as verbal exchanges in cyber space. If only it rested there and travelled no further!

But the true purpose of education is to enlighten. If education were to be seen as achieving those ends, then why is the world and its people, aligned in increasing hostility?

Maybe the answer to that question is, since the advent of the Internet, and it's off-shoots of social media, every ignoramus that can tap on a key board is now an expert on everything!
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 25 January 2017 12:09:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I get it. But if you move too far from the absolute you end up mired in relativism, which is where the the Left and, therefore, much of the West is heading.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 25 January 2017 4:52:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hope springs eternal! As does the verbal vomit of those dedicated to its complete destruction! Fortunately, there isn't enough darkness in the entire world to extinguish the light of a single candle!

As a boy, I was raised in very poor circumstances, needing to be seen to be believed!

Yet no matter how hard and tough those circumstances became. I was raised to believe, common courtesy and civility costs nothing!

But, conversely, to never become the doormat of the loudmouth bully! Which invariably simply encourages more of the same!

And for those Buddha says, enlightenment begins with a brick to the head? Always providing there's something up there to rattle?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 25 January 2017 5:41:41 PM
In response to ttbn.
Meanwhile the USA now has its first post-truth President where empirical common sense facts do not matter anymore or where you can now quite freely make up your entirely false "facts", and thereby base your actions on them.
And where fake-news more or less sets the political and cultural agenda. And where fundamentalist "religious" zealots such as Mike Pence wield much behind the scenes power - Pence is only a step away from being President.

Never mind too that much/most of the world's political problems are being caused by back-to-the-past authoritarian "religions", especially Islam-ism, Christian-ism, and Juda-ism, all of which are full of their self-serving tribalistic dogmatic "certainties". Furthermore these three dogmatically rigid "religions" are now engaged in a world-wide war/battle for global dominance, each justifying their actions/agendas with a self-given "divine mandate".

Both Christians and Muslims pretend that their "religion" is the only one that is "true", which necessarily implies that all other faith traditions are false, and therefore need to be "converted" to the "one-true-way". Jews more or less promote the same meme when they falsely claim that they are "God's-chosen-people", and that their tribalistic "God" promised them exclusive ownership of the Biblical lands.
Posted by Daffy Duck, Thursday, 26 January 2017 9:07:46 AM
"its first post-truth President"

That's quite the stretch I think. It's first, I wish.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 26 January 2017 6:33:35 PM
Daffy,

The "world's political problems" do not lie in the past; they emanate from the here and now: cultural relativism and humanistic materialism. Our entire way of life in the West is based on Judeo-Christianity. Now, you might not like that, which is your right, but there is no denying historical fact - there is 'empirical' evidence, which your own 'commonsense' will reveal to you if you exercise it.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 27 January 2017 9:47:01 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy