The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Death of majority governments > Comments

Death of majority governments : Comments

By Everald Compton, published 20/6/2016

This political deadlock will be profound, significant and long term, causing a long awaited upheaval in the structure of political parties.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
An exercise in wishful thinking Everald?

Bill Shorten is indeed narrowing the gap, but is behind in at least 8 critical seats? If labor loses in an honorable close run thing, (likely) will the new rules allow someone else to take over? And who would want the most invidious position of opposition leader, Mr 707 or A recycled Dr No? Thus ensuring the defeat becomes even more profound be repeating it the next time round as a veritable landslide?

Someone needs to cut through the apathy that is the political scene with some visionary big ideas, but even more importantly bring to the table a doable plan on how we are going to do and afford that?

Something that will motivate the around 40% of informal voters to change track, get excited and get involved?

I believe we could leverage most of our own super by legislating certain bond issues would generate tax free income and sensible given most off this money is invested offshore where we earn no tax revenue either! And are deprived of any of the otherwise considerable economic benefit that would be ours if we could incentivize investment outcomes here, which given that was mostly income earning infrastructure, could not only generate income but some tax liability into the bargain?

The wisdom being 50% of something is going to be worth much more and way out of sight compared to the 100% of nothing we earn now!

If folks just stopped worrying solely about winning and just concentrated on the best possible outcomes for the folks (one Nation) they allegedly serve? The best folks with the best bipartisan ideas would carry the day?

The fact that this never ever happens, testament to the current parlous state of the polls?

I like many other swinging voters have already decided how we will vote and need something like a blinding light road to Damascus revelation to change our mind!

Malcolm just needs a fair go and from his side of politics to ensure the government is returned and able to govern in its own right!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 20 June 2016 9:40:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
AlanB
Sometimes your profound, sometimes you fall over your dreams, this is one of the latter!
I think it all quite delusional to think that either Liberal or Labor parties, are a saving force for the future of Australia!
And to think as you do, that Malcolm Turnbull is the saviour we have all longed for, to be fit for the purpose, invites a diagnosis which would be insulting to you!
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 20 June 2016 9:53:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you, Everald: Let us pray that you be correct.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 20 June 2016 9:55:26 AM
Sometimes I think you're right Diver. And wish in my heart of hearts it could be different!

Australia could be a vastly different and a literal paradise on earth if we were GOVERNED rather than RULED by folk who genuinely believed in Australia and we Australians, new and old. Rather than setting divide and rule paradigms that effectively set us against each other!

We are one of the wealthiest nations on the planet with some of the poorest folks scratching a bare existence in it. Simply put, disadvantage trickles ever on, ever upward until all but the top 1% are worse off!

And it really could be so different if those who "LEAD" just used the brains they were born with and stopped with the endless forelock tugging and the dependance it creates in us. Which in turn allows the ruling class to sell us and ours down the river of no return?

I confess, I'm a bit of a dreamer and have some formerly impossible goals in my bucket list!

I believe that someday we will not only sail ships under the sea, learn to fly, and in planes that hold a couple of B doubles as commonplace freight forwarding, send men to the moon and then the stars. Impossible?

I've seen a man with half his brain shot away not only live, walk and talk again but to take a useful part in society. [Well 'e were a Pom an' not using the ovver 'alf.]

I've seen a bloke drowned and underwater for an impossible ten minutes and owes his current and completely normal existence to folk that didn't accept imposible as part of their vocabulary.

I've read of a young Australian surviving a very long term coma, awakening able to speak fluent mandarin!

I could write a book, in fact somebody has and you should read it? It is an ivy league produced non fiction study, called life after life, and makes the entirely impossible seem commonplace.

What the mind of man can conceive and believe, the mind of man can achieve!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 20 June 2016 11:11:14 AM
Unfortunately Everald could be right.

The national parliament could become as dysfunctional as the worst of local councils, where ego & avarice rule, & nothing of value can be achieved.

This is of course a function of politics, where parties chose a "leader" rather than a manager. You end up, as we have, with 2 totally unelectable dills offered for the top job. Just a glance at the leaders of the recent past shows how bad they are. Churchill, Hitler, Starlin & chairman Mao show how dangerous to the average man are leaders. Thank god we don't have any real leaders, just these pretenders.

This leaves me with the choice with our ridiculous system in the house, of voting informal, or having my vote filter down to one of these 2 disgusting twerps. I suppose I can give the least like candidate a vote which may save his/her deposit at least, & chose the lesser of 2 evils.

For the "upper house" [joke] at least I can make sure none of the above or the Greens receive my preference. Thus I will probably vote for the wrong candidates, as I find it very difficult to gain enough certainty on policies of the less favoured.

Isn't it disgusting that I am much more certain of who I definitely don't want, than who I do.

Where did my country go?
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 20 June 2016 1:52:29 PM
No mention of ALA - Why?
Posted by Peter of Townsville, Monday, 20 June 2016 2:09:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy