The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Turnbull held aloft by projection and likeability > Comments

Turnbull held aloft by projection and likeability : Comments

By Graham Young, published 11/3/2016

Malcolm Turnbull’s popularity seems a lot like Kevin Rudd’s on the basis of our polling. So will it disappear just as quickly and catastrophically for his own party?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Interesting piece, and I agree generally with your conclusions. People are waiting to see what a Turnbull Government will be about. So far it is hard to say what that might be. Hence the need for an election where he can outline it.

But I think the circumstances in the 1950s and 1960s (the Menzies comparison) need to take into account that Menzies almost always had a fiscal dividend to play with, and Turnbull has no money at all and a huge public debt. It is dealing with that which will be the key to his future.
Posted by Don Aitkin, Friday, 11 March 2016 9:05:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gidday Graham,I think Malcolm has had some good and worthwhile ideas, and indeed, clearly understands that winning any election is done by occupying the middle ground,and his best prospects a double dissolution, which will then put all the seats up for grabs.

And getting that done might just shut up the harmful sniping by the extreme right? Who still need to hold their places and are reliant on party goodwill for continuing nominations!

I would have thought Malcom's and the parties prospects would have been served by the retirement of Mr Abbott and with it, end those damaging leaks?

Disunity and division equating to a probable defeat?

Already Labor is working overtime, highlighting obvious division and disunity, and all over the shop!

Someone with the power to pull nominations, needs to step in and put a stop to this Political suicide; least we see a repeat of the disastrous Gillard campaign which looked a certain winner, only to be blown out of the water by unpolished turds and quite deliberate damaging leaks.

Malcolm is extremely intelligent and financially astute! And for a conservative, quite progressive, and should be given a (fair go) chance to not only win but remake the party as one that permanently occupies the middle ground.

Leaving Labor torn between swinging back to the left and traditional support and policies; or even further to the right and following the legendary whoslem bird, that flew in ever decreasing circles until it disappeared right up its own fundamental orifice.
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Friday, 11 March 2016 9:24:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Check your facts, Don: the Menzies government ALWAYS ran deficits, and they started with a debt of over 90% of GDP.

But in those days, they understood that the solution wasn't spending less or raising the tax rate; it was growing the economy.
Posted by Aidan, Friday, 11 March 2016 9:44:28 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
An important feature about Malcolm is, as Graham points out, his perceived personality compared to that of Rudd.
Unlike K.R. who concealed an obsession with micro-management until gaining his powerful position, Malcolm is more even, balanced, and managerially experienced to the job.

It's been a long time since I worked as a fellow employee with Malcolm while he was completing his uni. studies, but I found him personable, resolute in his belief in political honesty, and a very practical man.

It's this personality which I believe drives him to a centralist position and recognising arguments for and against policies.

All that said, it would not take a great deal to be perceived as a more competent candidate than his predecessor.
Posted by Ponder, Friday, 11 March 2016 10:24:04 AM
I am thankful to have the ALA coming into to being. I will be able to cast a formal vote, in the Senate at least, and retain my self-respect as a Conservative. There is no way I can continue supporting the Liberal Party under Turnbull and his Left-wing shite. I'll still have a problem finding a lower house worthy in my electorate though.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 11 March 2016 11:00:42 AM
Graham if I had to give the last seat at a dinner party to Turnbull, I'd cancel the dinner party.

I can't stand slimy people. Just seeing Rudd on the TV made me feel dirty from the slime he was pouring on us. Turnbull makes Rudd appear almost slimeless. It is nauseating to watch the slime & insincerity dripping off him.

I will never trust this egotistical bit of garbage. He has already proven he can't be trusted with anything, & I trust him less to even know what needs to be done, let alone actually do what is needed for the country.

He spends his time searching for a pat on the back. he will do anything to get the approval he desires, & we all know there are no pats on the back from most of the populous for doing what needs doing.

Abbott's problem was he kept recoiling from his good decisions & flip flopping, when faced with disapproval from the left & other idiots. Turnbull is never going to make a decision that gains such disapproval. Hence he is locked into inertia, & will never do anything good for anyone but himself.

He does have quite a few bad ideas he would like to inflect on us, if he gets the chance. Only those who can't be bothered looking closely enough to see the real Turnbull could ever support him.

Like ttbn, I am searching for somewhere to put my vote. The only thing I am sure of is that it will never be for a party led by Turnbull.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 11 March 2016 12:03:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy