The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Reclaiming citizenship > Comments

Reclaiming citizenship : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 11/5/2015

However, the protestors make a dreadful mistake in viewing all Muslims as a group, represented either by violent Islamists or the conservative 'community leaders' that governments and the media persist in treating as spokesmen.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I suppose that, by "voluntary" the Senator means that producers and manufacturers caught up in the halal con volunteer to pay the religious tax because there is no legal requirement for them to do so.

Fiddlesticks! They were coerced, made an offer they couldn't refused: pay up or no export to Muslim countries. Plain extortion.

Consumers certainly did not volunteer to pay more for essential items to add to Muslim coffers! And they the cannot "choose" what to buy, because there is very little this 'certification' does not cover.
It has nothing to do with Islam, incidentally, but with shonks who might or might not be genuine, practising Muslims. Many in the Muslim heirachy have condemned it.

The halal religious tax, making a few people millionaires, can not be "so easily dismissed" as the Senator states. That is a decison for the people, not politicians.

As halal certification has nothing to do with Islam itself, I will not comment on the Senator's other observations, which should be left for another discussion; save to say that the old one about Muslims living here since the 1800's is irrelevant. Those people were isolated from the current global mania. However, has the senator forgotten the murder of Australian train passengers during WW1 by two Turkish Muslims?

Having made my criticisms, I should say that I think that Senator Leyonjhelm is the only sane member of the Senate on most matters. His opinion of the divisive apartheid-like proposal of Constitutional recognition of aborigines can can be read in The Australian today.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 11 May 2015 11:07:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
PS

I recently ask the PM if his government would tolerate this stunt if Christian and other people purporting to represent their religion/ way of life pulled the same stunt.

As usual NO RESPONSE from this man, who is ignorant of and frightened of anything Muslim, genuine of not.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 11 May 2015 11:14:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I still regard the views of another one person "Party" - that intellectual Jacqui Lambie - as more humourous https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZignPUwvvPU
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 11 May 2015 11:30:34 AM
Amazingly I'm almost in complete agreement with David Leyonhjelm.

Except for one thing: I think a ten year wait for citizenship eligibility would be counterproductive.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

ttbn, if exporting to Muslim countries is profitable, the certification pays for itself, so your claim about consumers paying for it is laughable. And if it isn't profitable, it's clearly not an offer they couldn't refuse.

If you regard halal certification as a religious tax, do you regard advertising on A Current Affair and Today Tonight as a bogan tax? If not, why not?
Posted by Aidan, Monday, 11 May 2015 11:35:18 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with contents of David Leyonhjelm's comment -

"My party, the Liberal Democrats, has a policy of restricting citizenship to those who have established themselves in the community over at least ten years, who share our values of freedom and democracy, and who have demonstrated their desire to build a long-term future in Australia."

As a New Zealander who arrived in Australia in January 2005, my family is here on a Special Category Visa (SCV) which allows us to work and/or own a business, employ others, pay equal taxes, and live here permanently. We have been here continuously for just over 10 years.

The Special Category Visa however is not regarded the same as a Permanent Residency Visa. Kiwis on the SCV are regarded as permanently temporary visitors and therefore not entitled to apply for citizenship, vote, or share equally in the social benefits other permanent residents enjoy. Did you know that if a Kiwi couple have a baby born here in Australia that child is not an Australian citizen by birthright? Kiwis are not entitled to equal medical benefits or social welfare in the event they become unemployed, even though they have paid taxes for 10 years or more.

Kiwis who arrived in Aus prior to 2001 are able to apply for citizenship. So for the sake of an arbitrary date, 1000's of families are legally discriminated against.

Australians entering NZ are entitled to everything, they are welcomed with open arms and allowed to voted as permanent residents.

It would be nice if our Government could wake up to the unfairness of the current immigration policy applied to New Zealanders. The Labor Party and Greens are no more interested in righting this injustice than the Coalition. So much for ANZAC Spirit
Posted by ConservativeHippie, Monday, 11 May 2015 11:56:28 AM
But ConservativeHippie, you are allowed to apply for a Permanent visa, which would allow you to apply for citizenship and access welfare which you would otherwise not.

Why can't you apply for a Permanent visa?
Posted by Bugsy, Monday, 11 May 2015 12:09:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy