The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Tasmania: a province of Victoria > Comments

Tasmania: a province of Victoria : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 10/3/2014

Having once lived there, I know Tasmania is a pleasant place to live. But so is Greece. And if Tasmania was an independent country, it would be in more trouble than Greece.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Fair enough, but what happens to certain mainland States when Asia stops buying coal and iron ore? Does Tasmania get some monetary acknowledgement for all the pollution absorbed by its trees? I also suspect that when the Murray-Darling dries up (this could be late 2014) that Tasmania could prove to be Australia's food bowl. Consumers will understand if there is no longer a Bass Strait freight subsidy.
Posted by Taswegian, Monday, 10 March 2014 7:50:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tasmania is a victim of policy based primarily on ideology. Garbage in- Garbage out.

It is little different to the victimhood created around Ford, SPC, Holden and Qantas. The common element is that until recently there was nobody prepared to yank back on the reins.

If Tasmania cannot make the State work, then move over and make way for someone that can.

Taswegian, “could”, would”, “maybe” and the last word was ? Yes, Subsidy.
Posted by spindoc, Monday, 10 March 2014 8:52:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"It also has a long history of anti-development policies. Indeed, rather than offering a low tax and less regulatory environment to attract investment and generate jobs, it has repeatedly done the opposite. Among many examples, utility charges since 1998 have increased on average 6.1% per annum, electricity 6.4% and property rates and charges 5.5% compared to the CPI in Hobart of 2.7%."

Given the Greens' anti-development policies and their dysfunctional hand in government, this is not surprising . It remains to be seen whether the voters will take this into account when casting their votes in the coming State election.

" Third, subsidies for shipping to and from Tasmania should be abolished ...The solution is cheaper shipping, such as by abolishing industrial relations laws introduced specifically for the shipping industry."

Thanks to the Rudd-Gillard governments' dysfunctional coastal shipping policy changes, commercial freight rates to/from Tasmania have increased by some 50% in recent years. It remains to be seen whether the Abbott government will act swiftly to redress the dysfunctional industrial relations laws, and whether the good Senator-elect will support the redress.
Posted by Raycom, Monday, 10 March 2014 10:29:48 AM
The writer is a Senator Elect.

Scarey !
Posted by Aspley, Monday, 10 March 2014 1:05:19 PM
Quite the opposite. It is a pleasure to read something from a politician that is concise, economically rational and actually puts down a 4 point plan for turning round the state.

I now have my dream media event Sarah Hanson-Young vs David Leyonhjelm.
Posted by EQ, Monday, 10 March 2014 3:06:55 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
EQ:"I now have my dream media event Sarah Hanson-Young vs David Leyonhjelm."

TWO MENPERSONS ENTER! ONE MANPERSON LEAVES!
Posted by ChrisPer, Monday, 10 March 2014 3:15:29 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy