The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Fundamentalism: a psychological problem > Comments

Fundamentalism: a psychological problem : Comments

By Robert Burrowes, published 14/1/2014

Fundamentalism is a widespread problem. It often manifests in a religious context - making it highly visible - but there are plenty of secular fundamentalists too.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. 17
  10. All
Sometime violence is the most effective solution when it comes to situations of social upheaval, fundamentalists and extremists are usually quickly exterminated during or shortly after a revolution.
You can't reason with fundamentalist so non violence won't work, the only way to deal with them is to lock them up forever up or put a bullet in their head, that's been proven over and over again throughout history.
It's a question of symmetry, as the author has stated fundamentalism can be an influence of the structures of power by exerting pressure from below but it never has the ultimate authority and the monopoly on the use of force of the state in which it resides.
To be sure direct, violent confrontation against a state by it's proletariat, or in some cases it's middle classes will almost always fail but violence against it's fundamentalist hangers on will succeed because they are expendable, it's a well used tactic to isolate and ultimately impeach unpopular regimes.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Tuesday, 14 January 2014 9:04:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A secularist in a person who seeks evidence to support his or her philosophy and only forms a firm view when the evidence provides strong, almost overwhelming, support.

In describing a secularist, the use of the adjective fundamentalist is really an attempt to denigrate anyone who aims to be a clear thinker guided only by evidence.

I am a member of a secular, sceptical, group and I would be jumped on if I expressed, in that group, a view for which I couldn't provide strong supporting evidence.
Posted by Foyle, Tuesday, 14 January 2014 9:29:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A fundamentalist clings to rigid opinions like a drowning sailor does to a life raft.

OLO has many of them and they fight anyone who dares to suggest that their fundamentalism could be fundamentally wrong. Whether it's the con of religious belief or the ridiculous view that the U.S. is a force for good or that the capitalist system is the only way to run the world, the fundamentalist will be there applauding and denigrating any contrary views. The depth of the denigration symbolizes the extent of the fundamentalism.

I feel sorry for such people because having only one view of everything robs you of freedom and choice. You become a victim of your own narrow beliefs (which were doubtless imposed upon you by significant others) but don't know it!

And fundamentalists happily join with other fundies in mob-rule behaviour because they feel safer if others echo their own narrow views. Spreading ignorance is the result.

A fundamentalist holds to the view that what I know and think is the immutable truth. They block out other views!

Whereas a thinking, educated person believes that the more I learn the less I know!

Fundamentalism is a recipe for disaster!
Posted by David G, Tuesday, 14 January 2014 9:45:36 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For example, Christian fundamentalism plays a crucial role in shaping US domestic policies in relation to abortion, gay marriage and theories of evolution as well as US imperial and military policy, '

yes Robert and secular fundamentalist play a crucial role in murdering the unborn, promoting perversion to kids and denying the obvious (our Creator). You appear to be displaying the traits of a fundamentalist by your views.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 14 January 2014 10:52:05 AM
I am not a fundamentalist but I profess non-violence and tolerance while continually expressing Hate for the US and Israel at all opportunities.

The 345 million people of those lands are my Great Satan.

I, in dark glasses, eat at McDonalds and KFC daily.
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 14 January 2014 10:57:19 AM
Foyle, where is your evidence that killing, say, children,is wrong?

Of course you will (I presume) have an opinion that killing children is wrong, but I will be interested to know what actual evidence you have to back up that opinion.

David G, you say that you feel sorry for people who only have one view of everything. Does that mean that you have multiple views about child killing?
Posted by JP, Tuesday, 14 January 2014 11:25:21 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. 17
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy