The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > John Kerry destined for political scrapheap > Comments

John Kerry destined for political scrapheap : Comments

By David Singer, published 18/11/2013

Jewish settlement in the West Bank is not illegal, unlawful or forbidden by law - having been legally sanctioned and expressly enshrined in international law.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Singer states "Jewish settlement in the West Bank is not illegal, unlawful or forbidden by law - having been legally sanctioned and expressly enshrined in international law under article 6 of the Mandate for Palestine and article 80 of the United Nations Charter"

Although he is quick enough to quote other documents that suit him, he doesn't bother with this one.
So here is the Mandate for Palestine, http://www.mideastweb.org/mandate.htm of which Article 6 says
"ART. 6. The Administration of Palestine, while ensuring that the rights and position of other sections of the population are not prejudiced, shall facilitate Jewish immigration under suitable conditions and shall encourage, in co-operation with the Jewish agency referred to in Article 4, close settlement by Jews on the land, including State lands and waste lands not required for public purposes."

Nothing about confiscating land owned by other people. Nothing about excluding non-Jews from these settlements. Nothing about the Government of Israel controlling the process. But it does say "ensuring that the rights and position of other sections of the population are not prejudiced", something Singer is always quick to ignore.

And of course none of this says anything about whether anything in the Mandate survives the UN partition arrangements of 1947-8, which, as one might confidently assume, is not the case. See United Nations General Assembly Resolution 181, at http://www.mideastweb.org/181.htm, which says
"The Mandate for Palestine shall terminate as soon as possible but in any case not later than 1 August 1948."
Posted by jeremy, Monday, 18 November 2013 10:30:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Singer's sophistry is a beacon of lazy thinking to those similarly deluded.
Poor t'ing. Poor t'ings.
Perhaps the ultimate benefit of all these settlements will come when they are occupied by all those - Jews, Muslims and Christians - who choose to remain in Israel/Palestine after the increasingly obvious single state emerges from the current troubles.
Posted by halduell, Monday, 18 November 2013 10:58:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When I saw the name Singer on the article list my heart jumped. I thought to myself: Has Singer suffered a Road to Damascus conversion, has he finally discovered his heart and a conscience, is he going to apologize for what his people have done to the hapless Palestinians, the atrocities, the humiliations, the genocide?

Alas and alack, it was the same old crap, you know, "We're Jews and we should be entitled to lay claim to land that we might've walked around on two thousand years ago."

Struth, the hide of these people is beyond comprehension. Not only do they reckon they are God's Children, a preposterous claim seeing God doesn't exist, but they claim they can drop in and out of history whenever they feel like it laying claim to anywhere their sandaled feet have trod and bombing anyone who says otherwise.

Stone the crows, they have more hide than all the elephants in Africa.

Know what'll do? I'm going down to the Main Street in my town with a large sign which reads:

I'M DAVID,THE LONG LOST SON OF TUTANKHAMAN AND I LAY CLAIM TO ALL OF EYGPT AND HITHERTO ONLY TUTANKS LIKE ME CAN LIVE THERE!

Gees, I reckon I'd be in the local lockup within five minutes and in a psychiatric ward within the hour.

I'm sure there's a moral in this story somewhere!
Posted by David G, Monday, 18 November 2013 11:19:19 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi David G

You can't expect too much from the Zionist Ambassador to Australia.

Perhaps only a disservice to sensitivity, to Israel's interests, to moderate Jews

and a disservice to genuine Palestinian independence.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 18 November 2013 12:57:50 PM
Drawn from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_settlement#Legal_status :

Most countries, as reflected in numerous UN resolutions, regard the building and existence of Israeli settlements in the West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Golan Heights as a violation of international law.

UN Security Council Resolution 446 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UN_Security_Council_Resolution_446) refers to the Fourth Geneva Convention as the applicable international legal instrument, and calls upon Israel to desist from transferring its own population into the territories or changing their demographic makeup.

The reconvened Conference of the High Contracting Parties to the Geneva Conventions has declared the settlements illegal as has the primary judicial organ of the UN, the International Court of Justice.

The position of successive Israeli governments is that all authorized settlements are entirely legal and consistent with international law.

In practice, Israel does not accept that the Fourth Geneva Convention applies de jure, but has stated that on humanitarian issues it will govern itself de facto by its provisions, without specifying which these are. The scholar and jurist Eugene Rostow has disputed the illegality of authorized settlements.

Under Israeli law, West Bank settlements must meet specific criteria to be legal. In 2009, there were approximately 100 small communities that did not meet these criteria and are referred to as illegal outposts.
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 18 November 2013 1:12:39 PM
One of the first things to know about Zionists: Like the Nazis, they always lie.

Convention (IV) relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War. Geneva, 12 August 1949. Clause 6:

“The Occupying Power shall not deport or transfer parts of its own civilian population into the territory it occupies.” Source http://www.icrc.org/ihl/WebART/380-600056

Look again at the territory under illegal occupation:

http://www.bobmay.info/images/westbanksettlementsmap.jpg

Each red dot represents land befouled by forced foreign settlement.

“Illegitimate” is a weasel word for illegal, used by the Yanks for many years to appease the Israel lobby. The rest of the world simply calls it for what it is: illegal.

Something else to know about Zionists: They aren’t only enemies of the Palestinians. They are enemies of seven billion human beings, leveraging their foothold in America and Europe and their alliance with the worst Middle East dictatorships to nudge-nudge-nudge the world towards the mother of all holocausts. Hence the latest farce in Geneva.
Posted by EmperorJulian, Monday, 18 November 2013 1:59:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy