The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Foxtel’s bestiality billboard is last straw: industry must be regulated > Comments

Foxtel’s bestiality billboard is last straw: industry must be regulated : Comments

By Lyle Shelton, published 2/5/2013

If ethics is so confused that its teachers have no moral compass, why should we be surprised a large company seeks to cash in on the controversy it knows it will generate by advertising in this manner?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Wow. You guys are really obsessed with sex aren't you.

I think of all the pain, suffering, poverty and injustice - the only time ACL goes public and writes op-ed its about sexual morality.

Take 'Christian' out of the lobby and you have the 'Australian morality lobby group'.

Get over it, widen your agenda, get real, get relevant, get a life and for god's sake get in touch with what people care about.

Hospitals? Equality? Homelessness? House Prices? Disease? HIV? The intervention? The rate of the dole? Wealth redistribution? Unemployment?

Of course not - its the Australian Christian Lobby - they think the bible is a prudish guide to sexual morality with nothing else in-between.

I think God's about more things than just sex, perhaps if you got some every now and then you might too.

Your lobby is a waste of space and a waste of money.
Posted by wil, Thursday, 2 May 2013 7:04:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The children, the children, won't somebody think of the children!Seriously?!?

Corporation are not run big kiddy eating boogey men. I am quite sure that the management of Foxtel didn't sit down and ask "what is the most offensive, innocence destroying thing we can put onto a billboard?" Lapses of judgement (and yes even good taste) do happen. Sometimes things slip through the inevitable gaps. We are after all only human - something you would know if you were truely a christian.

If it happened every other week then fine, but don't peddle an patently biased agenda for a once off mistake.
Posted by Arthur N, Thursday, 2 May 2013 7:41:32 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While you are at it, try and do something about the ridiculous level of gambling advertising which is, in my opinion, a national embarassment.

We do need more regulation on certain issues, but not all.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Thursday, 2 May 2013 7:55:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Using a lapse of judgement by a likely Foxtel middle-manager AND an advertising exec or two as an excuse to repeatedly have a dig at Peter Singer - essentially a philosophiser who, surprisingly, philosophises (albeit in a challenging way) - at the beginning and end of your article is pretty low ethics too, Lyle.

How about a statement or three about church abuses, Lyle?
Posted by McReal, Thursday, 2 May 2013 8:04:24 AM
Firstly, how can the billboard in question not have been included in this article, either as an inserted image or a link??

It is of fundamental importance that the readers get to see it in order to make their own judgement, is it not?

Very strange!

Ok, so having chased it up and viewed it, yes I agree that it in appropriate and that self-regulation that can allow this sort thing is a joke.

Where there is a likelihood of highly inappropriate stuff like this happening, it is surely incumbent on government to properly regulate it. That is afterall a fundamental role of government, is it not?

Here is another bizarre example of highly inappropriate signage. But this one is actually implemented by government, via one of its departments! These billboards appear all over South Australia… and on the back of busses.

Now isn’t this interesting – I can’t post the link to it because there is a profanity included it. It is too rude for OLO!! I tried lots of links as there are lots of images online, but every one of them has this profanity embedded in the link!

So you’ll have to go Google it yourself. Google: Don’t drive like a wank*r.
Posted by Ludwig, Thursday, 2 May 2013 8:05:00 AM
"Don't drive like aw fixed wooden-stocked fluked ship's anchor"?

Doesn't make any sense.

'Keep both hands on the wheel' would have.
Posted by WmTrevor, Thursday, 2 May 2013 8:50:11 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy