The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Foxtel’s bestiality billboard is last straw: industry must be regulated > Comments

Foxtel’s bestiality billboard is last straw: industry must be regulated : Comments

By Lyle Shelton, published 2/5/2013

If ethics is so confused that its teachers have no moral compass, why should we be surprised a large company seeks to cash in on the controversy it knows it will generate by advertising in this manner?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
McReal

' What's worse, Runner: bestiality or priest child-sex-abuse? '

I would suggest a secularist would really have no moral basis in order to be able to tell. Moral relativists always justify their depravities.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 2 May 2013 8:42:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Right on the money Lyle. I couldn't agree more. I have already contacted Foxtel to let them know that I will never subscribe, but proper (i.e. NOT self) regulation is what's needed for billboards at least and advertising in general.
Posted by cmpmal, Thursday, 2 May 2013 9:16:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Poor old Kacz can't seem to the tell the difference between philosophy and incitement McReal.

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Thursday, 2 May 2013 9:38:32 PM
Self-regulation in advertising is a joke.

'Regulatory' bodies like the Advertising Standards Board, the Press Council et al are actually proud of the fact that less than 6% of complaints they receive are followed up and less than 1% of those are acted on. With such a track record, how on earth can these people claim to be reflecting community standards?

As for the predictable comments here from the free-speechers, try and get your thinking processes out of the 1960s. We're not dealing with innocuous stuff like Lady Chatterley's Lover anymore. We're dealing with a social tolerance pendulum that has swung way too far beyond the 'pushing boundaries' extreme and is either ignoring or wowser-shaming those who express their justifiable concern that things have gone too far.

The more the free speechers resist the groundswell of public concern, the more the extremists in the wowser camp will fight back. Should they win, you can guarantee that we'll be back to living lives straight out of a 30s post-Production Code movie.
Posted by Killarney, Thursday, 2 May 2013 10:02:52 PM
Ahh the ACL...

One minute they're whinging that "freedom of speech is under threat", the next they're demanding stricter censorship!

I do agree the billboard was in poor taste, though. But then again, across the road from me there's a church which proudly displays a huge statue of a man being tortured to death on a cross. And they even let little children in there to take part in the human sacrifice it depicts! Talk about sick.
Posted by Jimmy Jones, Thursday, 2 May 2013 11:05:46 PM
"Corporation are not run big kiddy eating boogey men"

The first things we learn as adults is that there is no Santa Claus

and Corporations ARE run by kiddy eating boogey men.

Of course for a corporate executive salary I COULD change my mind about that!
Posted by KAEP, Friday, 3 May 2013 12:10:54 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy