The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Evolutionary conundrums for believers > Comments

Evolutionary conundrums for believers : Comments

By Glen Coulton, published 23/1/2013

If God wanted hordes of us humans hanging out in heaven with him, why didn't he just put us there from the word go?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
This excommunicable article is a sin against that old man the Lord our Saviour.

It should therefore such be shunned as the author should be. His Eminence Cardinal Pell take note.

I myself retain heaps of redeeming spiritual qualities which guarantee my place in Heaven. One is paying Indulgences in instalments ie. the Holey sack of collection.

On declining Church Attendance - its lack of old Hymns. In our WASP society middle age men (like moi) are banned from singing in pubic, unless we are drunk. The exception being in Church.

Problem is the Lord's Greatest Hits have been replaced by DIY lyrics and ditties by the congregation or the bloke up front, be he man, woman or trannie.

No longer All Things Bright and Beautiful.

Get it right God.

And I won't get started on original shin.

Pete
(hanging on to his own)
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 23 January 2013 10:44:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Israelis classify the Palestinians as sub-humans and the rest of us as gentiles (which I gather is nearly as bad).

I strongly support the Palestinians so I guess I must be a sub-human and a gentile. And given that I am an atheist too, not much chance for me then when I die, eh?

But worse, I also believe that human evolution is being retarded by people who think that the current systems in place in our world are next to perfect and the worship of greed is next to Godliness. Such people are usually rich and live in MacMansions.

Life isn't simple, is it? Perhaps a nuclear war will make things clearer, give us a level playing field!
Posted by David G, Wednesday, 23 January 2013 11:51:20 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh dear, David G. This is a little embarrassing...

>>Such people are usually rich and live in MacMansions.<<

Ummm, how should I break this to you?

Rich people most definitely do not live in McMansions. Here is a selection of definitions for you to ponder...

Wikipedia says...

"McMansion is a pejorative for a type of large, new luxury house which is judged to be incongruous for its neighborhood. Alternately, a McMansion can be a large, new house in a sub-division of similarly large houses, which all seem mass produced and lacking distinguishing characteristics, as well as at variance with the traditional local architecture"

Don't like Wikipedia? Here's the Urban Dictionary for you...

"A large and pretentious house, typically of shoddy construction, typical of "upscale" suburban developments in the late 20th and early 21st centuries... nauseating large suburban homes that are built from cookie-cutters that seem to pop up everywhere like McDonald's restraunts."

Not a fan of the Urban Dictionary? Try The Age:

"'McMansion'? This nasty term describes the big, new houses out in suburbs with names like Caroline Springs and Kellyville. McMansions, their nickname suggests, are the McDonald's of housing - they're super-sized, American and mass produced."

Back on the topic of "Evolutionary conundrums for believers"

I consider that these sneering, ultra-cheap shots against people with religious beliefs reflect poorly on the writer. Sneering and taking ultra-cheap shots is not a sign of great intellect in my book. More like the weapons of choice of supercilious bullies.

I wonder why they bother, when the chances of actually having an impact on their presumed targets, religious believers, are precisely nil, thanks to their arrogant and condescending approach. More likely, then, they are simply showing off to their mates that they, too, can be sneering and take ultra-cheap shots.

Sad.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 23 January 2013 12:19:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pericles,
I know the author of this article and he is no intellectual lightweight.

He and a group of his friends exchanged no less than four very pertinent letters with a Roman Catholic Church authority over the matter of child sexual abuse over about sixteen months from July 2011.

I assume that the author wrote this article because he believes that it is more sensible to point out the idiocy of some beliefs to the sheep rather than the shepherd.

If wasn't me that gave the derogatory designation "flock" to the followers of religion. As then Bishop Ratzinger said in 1979;
"The Christian believer is a simple person: bishops should protect the faith of their little people against the power of the intellectuals."
then Bishop Ratzinger in a sermon dated 31 December1979
Posted by Foyle, Wednesday, 23 January 2013 12:44:23 PM
Ah, Pericluless, I have changed your pseudonym to something that better suits you and your meagre talents. I hope you don't mind.

To call yourself 'Pericles' is pretentious to say the least given that it means: "surrounded by glory". The real Pericles was a prominent and influential Greek statesman, orator, and general of Athens during the city's Golden Age. Pericles you are not!

Now, to your comment...sorry, I can find nothing in it that is worth discussing or debating.

Sorry.
Posted by David G, Wednesday, 23 January 2013 12:47:03 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Glen you've asked 'the' question for all 'god' believers...why all this? Human life and sin and sufferring...

First any answer must apply to all humans....so
http://myummah.co.za/site/2008/03/03/how-the-mongols-came-into-islam/
http://www.naqshbandi.org/library/angels/angels3.htm
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Daniel+1&version=NKJV

First Ghengis becoming muslim(?), second arc angel Gabriel insructing Mohammed to effect the Koran, third of persian and jews god...the fundamental point is the same...all are 'humans'...beleive in soul, and every act in your daily moments has an effect on your soul....'an intelligent energy'...negatively and positively(king David and bathsheba and gods punishment as negative example), and the true religious books act to help one become aware of, understand and develop your soul...

To counter...soul is nonsense...so body nd mind only...so death ends 'you' completely...then issue of 'god' irrelwvant....just live and succeed...going by percentage, majority of people in the world believe in existence of god(follow a religion)...so their soul...which still doesnt prove the existence of soul...unless you were guided and protected like Daniel...so this leves a chunk of population whom dont believe Daniel actually happened in history....though history knows of persian king Darius...so maybe this group needs an 'soulful experience...moving on...

Now we know the effects of effort to succeed in wordly issues....all of us have to get money to live etc...genghis epitomizes this...his wordly success is rarely been matched...yet turns to his soul...

Whats the effect of efforts to succeed in 'soul' issues...here very few people actually know by experience...and me thinks the answer to first posed question lies here...

I need to ponder a while...

sam
Posted by Sam said, Wednesday, 23 January 2013 2:08:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy