The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Responses to the Global Crisis > Comments

Responses to the Global Crisis : Comments

By Peter McMahon, published 22/10/2012

We need to recognise the material limits to economic growth.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
The only crisis I see here is in the author's head. His "solution" won't solve that.
Posted by DavidL, Monday, 22 October 2012 9:32:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
DavidL Wow dude! You've nailed the author with that incisive comment. Well done! Must have made your morning so much more satisfying. LOL
Posted by Mollydukes, Monday, 22 October 2012 10:12:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Although I would deplore any straight abuse of the author, this article is long, dull and doesn't say much. This business about using improving info technology to reduce energy use is happening, but is taking longer to implement than first thought. Apart from that its difficult to say just what the article is about..
Posted by Curmudgeon, Monday, 22 October 2012 12:25:48 PM
I agree with you Curmudgeon; the article is pretty useless. Too long and disjointed with no clear argument.

But why would you say that you wouldn't support any abuse of the author? Is it not a 'given' that abuse of an author is 'inappropriate', or is abuse regarded as a perfectly 'normal' and 'appropriate' way of winning an argument around here? Or only when the article is sufficiently bad?

I do wonder what the motivation was for posting this article when there are so many other much more informative, easy to read articles available about the failure of the dominant economic paradigm and the need to do something different.

But it's not a mystery, it is clear that people allow themselves to believe a lot of things that are very stupid and a politically biased person could convince themselves that this article is one 'lefties' will like and so it provides 'balance'.
Posted by Mollydukes, Monday, 22 October 2012 1:16:22 PM
Here's a summary: I don't like capitalism because it makes some people richer than me, so I'm going to pretend that disaster is looming. Luckily we can escape this imaginary disaster -- all you have to do is THINK LIKE ME!

There will be compulsory re-education classes for those who fail to do so.
Posted by Jon J, Monday, 22 October 2012 2:09:50 PM
Mollydukes
I was referring to DavidL's comment but its a small matter, and probably not worth noting as you say.. JonJ's summation says it all.. I cetainly don't agree that there is a need to do something differnt, but, assuming for the moment that there is a problem, what would we do diffeently that would not cause more trouble than the supposed problem??
Posted by Curmudgeon, Monday, 22 October 2012 3:59:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy