The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The real misogyny > Comments

The real misogyny : Comments

By Babette Francis, published 16/10/2012

Charges of sexism and misogyny against Tony Abbott do not stand scrutiny.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Tony going on about Australia's debt trivialises the debt of the US and Europe. That’s were real problems are.
Tony going on about a few thousand boat people coming to Australia trivialises the millions in camps overseas.
Do I need to go on? I really don't understand why some people find it hard. People no matter what their sex should be treated on their merits not on any preconceived attributes based on sex, race and sexual orientation.
And to paraphrase Julia I will not be lectured about morals by a ultra conservative.
Posted by Kenny, Tuesday, 16 October 2012 10:03:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
what a breath of fresh air you are Babette. Finally someone who thinks unbiasly.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 16 October 2012 10:06:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Here is a list of misandrists (haters of men)
http://www.emilyslist.org.au/our-mps

Guess what? They are mostly ALP women, including Julia Gillard and the female ministers.

The underlying objectives for the campaign run by Gillard and the 'handbag hit squad' is much clearer having seen this web site.
Posted by Peter Lang, Tuesday, 16 October 2012 10:11:12 AM
Babette
I agree with most of the sentiments in your article however disagree on a couple of points:

- Tony Abbott may not have known about the placards before he got to the podium but he would have been well aware of them once standing right next to the sign bearers and could have chosen to have them moved to make his speech so as not to be associated with them. It is naive to think this might have been a planned strategy. I guess we will never know absolutely.

- Choosing an abortion would be a difficult choice whether or not you factor in the work involved in raising a child. The choice to have an abortion, I would imagine, would not be taken lightly by most women and I have personally seen some of the grief still felt by some women later in their lives over that decision. I am not saying this applies to all women but women are not a homogenous group and like men, different experiences affect people differently.

Peter Lang
The members of Emily's List are no more man-hating that Tony Abbott is a women-hater. You are guilty of making same assertions and strong language as the PM just in reverse. They are unfounded accusations.
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 16 October 2012 11:18:02 AM
Babette,

True. But I am suspect you didn't really miss the point of my comment, did you?

Gillard and the Labor 'handbag hit squad' are hypocritical.

It is not conservatives or men who are continually making a fuss about sexism. It is the 'sisterhood' who keep raising the issue and using it for one reason or another. In the case of Gillard's latest vitriolic attack crying 'Tony Abbott is misogynist' was intended to divert attention from the real issues: the Speaker's emails and her government's incompetence.
Posted by Peter Lang, Tuesday, 16 October 2012 11:56:19 AM
I find myself completely and with all due respect, entirely disagreeing with Peter Lang this time.
As a parent of two daughters, I was glad to see the emergence of our first female and extremely capable PM.
I simply do not see modern misogyny as the text book definition hatred of all females; but rather, as entirely necessary in your face and or space aggression, of the over assertive, budgie smuggling, wall punching alpha male; or his butch, venomous mouthed, gay equivalent!?
I was very pleased for half the population on the planet, when the real Julia stood up and told the, I believe, extreme right wing, power hungry opposition leader, that she would not be lectured by this man, on sexism or misogyny.
I didn't hear any words that seemed to support Slipper, [and yes I did actually listen to all of the Gillard speech,] which seems to be the charge of the liberal, opps sorry, conservative posters?
Apologies Peter, but listen mate, somewhere it is written, if you and your employer/friend/compatriot agree on almost anything, then clearly one of you is redundant!
Cheers, Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 16 October 2012 12:56:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy