The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > History with a soft focus > Comments

History with a soft focus : Comments

By Graham Young, published 20/7/2012

George Megalogenis has reviewed the last 30 years of Australian history through an idiosyncratic lens.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Thanks

I was going to get the book. Now I shan't bother. The paragraph you quote is typical leftie tripe. I don't have the time to go through a whole book full of the stuff.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Friday, 20 July 2012 10:32:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"The book is the product not just of interrogation (and occasional torture) of the facts..." beautifully phrased.

This technique could be dubbed 'writerboarding'.
Posted by WmTrevor, Friday, 20 July 2012 12:02:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"I'd definitely recommend reading this book..."

Graham, thanks, but no thanks.

But thanks for the review. Your flagged slants/flaws in the book's content are consistent with what appears in George Megalogenis' articles in The Australian.
Posted by Raycom, Friday, 20 July 2012 12:32:47 PM
I genuinely think you should read it. The chances are it will turn up on school reading lists and be used as the basis for arguments about what happened in the last 30 years. And it does have a lot of material that is interesting, even if one has to be careful.

But if I had to choose between this and Hartcher's book, I'd choose his first. Hopefully his second edition will have some footnotes, tables and graphs.
Posted by GrahamY, Friday, 20 July 2012 4:23:11 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"We don't make a living from feather-bedded domestic manufacturing, and that is a good thing."

Generally true, except perhaps the motor car industry which seems to be dying the inevitable death as we pay about $30,000 a year per worker.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Friday, 20 July 2012 4:54:40 PM
George, do not feel badly done by. The world is replete with judges but, sadly, there are even more executioners.
Posted by David G, Friday, 20 July 2012 6:02:00 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy