The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Christopher Hitchens: the epitome of atheism > Comments

Christopher Hitchens: the epitome of atheism : Comments

By David Nicholls, published 18/12/2011

To die without illusions is to die a strong man.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 26
  8. 27
  9. 28
  10. All
...In death, as in life, Hitchens joined the religious as just another idealist!
Posted by diver dan, Sunday, 18 December 2011 10:04:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While most Olo'ers may not notice, I applaud Graham Young for allowing this article to be posted today (Sunday) - not normally done.

Given the assumed differences in opinion between OLO's chief editor and that of Christopher Hitchens, this speaks volumes. Thank you.
Posted by bonmot, Sunday, 18 December 2011 10:40:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"idealist"?? - hardly. Hitch was more a realist, though did have some views that resulted in some interesting alignments.

His support for the invasion of Iraq was intriguing.

His ability to view things rhetorically was second-to-none

eg http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hJ0eOUVnyFA

There's more here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/dec/16/christopher-hitchens-debate-highlights-video
Posted by McReal, Sunday, 18 December 2011 1:57:46 PM
For those unacquainted with the power of Hitchens' writings, here is a selection that was put together by David Sessions of The Daily Beast.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/12/16/the-best-christopher-hitchens-longreads.html

It doesn't matter whether you agreed with Hitch on everything, or anything, or just some things. What is clear from these articles is that the world has lost a significant voice, articulate and compelling on a range of subjects. And someone who wrote stunningly well.
Posted by Pericles, Sunday, 18 December 2011 3:39:11 PM
Thanks Bon Mot. Actually it was so much that I "allowed" the article to be published, but that I commissioned the writing of it and suggested that it be published today.

I realised that people would be wanting to read about it today, not tomorrow, and to leave it until later would short change both the author and our readers.

I used to enjoy Hitchens' writing, but I thought he had faults, and one was that he was too certain about everything. He also had a virtue which overwhelms that fault, which is that he wasn't afraid to make enemies by saying what he thought.

I obviously don't agree with him on religion, and I also thought he was too one-eyed about the invasion of Iraq, an invasion which I didn't support in principle, but once it had begun supported in practice. But I did admire the way he was prepared to put former comrades and allies off-side, and he made many valuable points against the propagandists on the other side.

Thought I'd write this comment as a way of giving members of this forum some more insight into how editorial decisions are taken.
Posted by GrahamY, Sunday, 18 December 2011 4:51:40 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Graham, I couldn't agree with you more (well, except for the religion bit).

In your editorial decision, you have demonstrated 'respect' - so very important, particularly these days.

Thanks again - and thanks for the insight, it is helpful.

Btw, I think you actually meant "Actually it wasn't so much that..."
Posted by bonmot, Sunday, 18 December 2011 5:17:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 26
  8. 27
  9. 28
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy