The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Age of Consciousness > Comments

The Age of Consciousness : Comments

By Caryn Cridland, published 14/9/2011

In the new Age of Consciousness,

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
It's precisely because people now have access to much more information -- about, say, the actual state of the climate -- that we can work out the truth for ourselves, and oppose most of the mystic nonsense embraced by this article.

Let's say, instead, that we live in an age of evidence. Provide some actual evidence for your claims, Caryn, rather than simply anecdotes and received wisdom, and you might get a better hearing.
Posted by Jon J, Wednesday, 14 September 2011 7:34:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh god, the fairies have entered the "Age of Aquarius".

Run for the trees before you are contaminated.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 14 September 2011 8:19:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"A few weeks ago a client forwarded me a brochure for a Mindful Leadership program advertised to the public sector. Is mindfulness moving into the public sector too?"

No, it's just some in the private sector taking advantage of frivolous, wasteful, spending of taxpayers' money by charging large fees to talk gobbledygook to highly paid bureaucrats holding down sinecures.
Posted by L.B.Loveday, Wednesday, 14 September 2011 8:38:10 AM
One has to wonder whether organizations such as that which Ms Cridland represents are part of the problem, rather than part of the solution as they so clearly believe themselves to be.

Preying upon the fears of others is a tried and tested formula, one that stretches back into history. Once upon a time, it was the sale of indulgences, which at least had the benefit of being simple: give me your money, and you won't go to hell. The donor, previously anxious about the state of their soul, relaxes, stress-free and thankful for the remedy.

Until the next vendor of emotional snake-oil.

The modern equivalent is the sale of "solutions to workplace problems" through the medium of pseudo-spirituality and "emotional intelligence" quackery.

Same old formula: create the fear, offer the solution, take the money, walk away. Making sure, of course, to get the punters to fill in the form at the end that says "I feel better now".

Just like the indulgence recipients of old.

Plus ça change.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 14 September 2011 8:54:31 AM
Caryn
Due to the excesses of Capitalism there is a growing counter-reaction and consciousness about consumption, environmental damage, poverty and as you note this is displayed in the goals of some ethical businesses. I can't help wondering though if some of the more philanthropic programs would also be enhanced by business making better decisions in their own business practices. Giving is one thing, acting with ethics in making money is also a way of ensuring wealth is not created on the back of poor industrial practices, child labour, unfair trade practices, environmental damage, price fixing, planned obselescence etc.

However there is a risk when there are 'Coaches, counsellors and psychologists' become formally involved in more contrived training on 'mindfulness and conscious-based practices' it might dilute the impact of grass roots change.

Sometimes when something becomes a fad it distorts into something else. I still remember the Assertiveness Training courses of the 80s/90s which basically taught people to be rude in a 'nice' way. Some people (women mainly) took it all on-board and conversations began to resemble those only imagined at a robot convention. My favourite is the modern 'Emotional Intelligence' courses - if nothing more these sorts of courses provide some light comic relief.

I tend to be cautious about these forms of social engineering as there is often the risk of too much talk and discussion giving a false impression of change but in reality more talking, less 'doing'.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 14 September 2011 9:01:19 AM
I think you must move in very different circles to me.

'It is not uncommon to have deep, connected conversations with strangers about the raised awareness of many people on the planet.'

The last time I did that I was at an underground trance club called The Fridge in London for Escape From Samsara.

Escape From Samsara - the name being a reference to the Hindu concept of Samsara - held its first event at The Fridge on 15 September 1995. Formed from the club Megatripolis, they also held occasional events at the Brixton Academy & Bagleys in London; Spain, Morocco, Germany, Czech Republic, Egypt, Israel and Australia. The resident DJs at their events were Beamish and Oberon and there was usually a live performance by an electronic music artist or group, the most frequent appearances being by Cybernaut, Lab 4, The Secret and Audio Pancake. The upstairs balcony area was home to a market which sold fluoro clothing accessories, chai tea, etc. Also noteworthy is the admission and pricing policy where clubbers paid only £3 for entry (compared to the standard price of £10 or more) if they brought a "drum or didge", thus encouraging punters to contribute musically and supporting those who could not afford the full price.

Another lifetime ago.

I am very skeptical that the general populace is roaming around on ecstacy like this in the cold light of day.

Though I'm all for it if it ever happens!
Posted by Houellebecq, Wednesday, 14 September 2011 9:03:32 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy