The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Veil request has already been covered > Comments

Veil request has already been covered : Comments

By Nazeem Hussain, published 11/7/2011

It is already the law that women wearing a burqa must uncover if required for identification by the police.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
The article is not entirely correct. The police have the right to ask for identification by any person. A person wearing a burqa could offer a drivers license and would fulfil her obligations, and the law as to whether the police officer has the right to order the removal of the face covering is murky. but, without a comparison between the ID photo and the actual face, the identity cannot be confirmed beyond doubt.

The case in question confirmed this point where the complainant successfully had a conviction overturned as the original proof of identity could not be proven beyond reasonable doubt, as the officer had not been able to compare the face to the id document.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 11 July 2011 9:37:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am amused, wryly, by what Nazeem has written. I respect her right to write, expressing her viewpoint, while I disagree. An Australian woman who covers her face does it, knowing that she is living in Australia. One issue cited for covering up by converts to Islam include their feeling of increased safety and comfort. I have no problem with that. I believe that many non-Muslim people find the niqab intimidating and would hesitate to ask someone to remove it. That is the reason that women wear it- so their faces are looked upon by a restricted number of men. I understand the point regarding the fact that the capacity to check who the woman is is available in Australia; I understand that women who wear the niqab are making a statement, which I as a Christian am not advised or allowed to make in Muslim countries. I am not saying "They should go back where they come from"; I am saying "They are mature enough to act with respect to the customs and laws of the country in which they live." I would say the same if it were men wearing face covers, as they can do in Northern Africa.
Posted by wonderwoman123, Monday, 11 July 2011 11:07:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think the point is being missed.
The niquab is an insult to Australian men.
It presumes that any man seeing her face is liable to assault her or
otherwise act improperly. The assumption may not be by the woman
herself but by the men in her family.

However if I am wrong, then why do men not wear the niquab ?

I suspect it is caused by the behavior of moslem men who are notorious
to molesting western women in their countries.
It seems to be that they have no self control and perhaps is another
indication of their problem arising from generations of cousin marriage.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 11 July 2011 12:57:38 PM
CATCH-22
(1) Even if there is a law requiring the revealing of ones face for identification by police, how can it be enforced ? If a person refuses to reveal their face (and thus commits an offence) how could that (unidentifiable) person be charged with the offence in a way that would later stand up in court ?
Short of on-the-spot arrest and forcible removal of the face-covering, what could the police do ?
(2) With the potential for false allegations of harassment and assault, will it become necessary for all police to carry video cameras in future ?
Posted by StefanL, Monday, 11 July 2011 1:00:26 PM
StefanL said;
will it become necessary for all police to carry video cameras in future ?

Funny you should say that. Some police forces are equipping their
members with cameras and recorders on their uniforms.

Police are already complaining that they are encumbered with so many
accouterments that they cannot run after offenders.

If they are handling an offence they could use force to remove clothing.
They do that now when conducting searches. All they have to do is
use the existing rules.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 11 July 2011 1:25:43 PM
Picture this ; an anonymous person driving a car stops at a Primary School and opens fire with a machine gun thirty six children are killed the car speeds off , later found abandoned by police and proved to have been stolen , no finger prints are found .
What a dilemma was the murderer male or female , what ethnicity ?
Posted by Garum Masala, Monday, 11 July 2011 4:42:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy