The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Animals feel the pain of Halal slaughter > Comments

Animals feel the pain of Halal slaughter : Comments

By Jake Farr-Wharton, published 31/5/2011

The same barbaric practices used to kill live exported cattle in Indonesia are used to kill unexported cattle here.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Great article and I ALSO noticed the glaring absence in that exposé of any mention of why exactly these beautiful animals were being treated this way. I don't know how exactly animals are Halal slaughtered in Australia, but I was informed yesterday that in Germany Halal slaughter is carried out by stunning the animal AS SOON AS the throat is cut, so that it feels no pain as it bleeds out. The relevant Islamic law (2603 v) states: "The animal should show some movement after being slaughtered; at least it should move its eyes or tail or strike its foot on the ground. This law applies ONLY WHEN IT IS DOUBTFUL whether or not the animal was alive at the time of being slaughtered, otherwise it is not essential."

By this rationale, it is then permissable to stun the animal, then cut its throat, as their is no doubt that it was alive. WHY is this not the preferred and demanded method of Halal slaughter?

Many people I have talked to are under the impression that Halal slaughtered animals are killed MORE humanely than non-Halal slaughtered animals. For some reason there is a misconception out there that Islamic law requires animals for slaughter to be treated kindly. The only kindness offered is (2608 iii) "An animal should be slaughtered in such a way that it should suffer the least, that is, it should be swiftly slaughtered with a very sharp knife." Clearly this was not the case in the footage from Indonesia.

Only in CERTAIN traditions (2609 i) is it forbidden "To slaughter an animal at a place where another animal of its own kind can see it."

Unless Halal slaughter can coexist with laws that demand the least amount of suffering possible for animals used as food, it needs to be banned in Australia if we want to call ourselves a First World, civilised country. That also means we do not send any animals to countries that insist on THEIR methods of Halal slaughtering.
Posted by lovekat, Tuesday, 31 May 2011 1:26:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The barbaric slaughter of our unborn actually makes us worse than the Indonesians. Oh that's right the ABC would never show graphic pictures of what happens to humans. I wonder if the lefties still think all cultures are equal or just equally barbaric.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 31 May 2011 2:03:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hang on, plenty of Halal meat is produced in Australia, using stun guns. So the situation is far from black and white, but depends
on religious interpretation.

Given that Islam prescribes that Muslims should be kind to animals,
Don Heatley makes the valid point that Australia should negotiate
with Islamic religous authorities to see that this is the case.
In the cases shown on 4 corners, it was clearly not so.
Posted by Yabby, Tuesday, 31 May 2011 2:07:11 PM
@ runner: What does aborting an unborn foetus have to do with the horrific slaughter of living, feeling, intelligent beings? Take your anti-choice soapbox somewhere else.
Posted by lovekat, Tuesday, 31 May 2011 2:16:38 PM
@ Yabby: I am of the understanding that Halal slaughtering done in Australia involves cutting the throat of the animal whilst it is conscious. From where do you source information to the contrary?

Also, I don't know whether or not Islamic law dictates kindness to animals, but Islamic law regarding the slaughtering of animals certainly does NOT demand or promote kindness before or during their slaughter: http://www.al-islam.org/laws/hunting.html
Posted by lovekat, Tuesday, 31 May 2011 2:26:02 PM
lovekat

'Take your anti-choice soapbox somewhere else.'

I would imagine many Indonesians would be giving u the same advice.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 31 May 2011 2:30:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy