The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Animals feel the pain of Halal slaughter > Comments

Animals feel the pain of Halal slaughter : Comments

By Jake Farr-Wharton, published 31/5/2011

The same barbaric practices used to kill live exported cattle in Indonesia are used to kill unexported cattle here.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Yabby,

Sorry if we have some confusion here as to my intentions. In your earlier post you seemed to be lamenting the loss of northern abattoir processing facilities. I assumed that this loss was as a result of the live export trade, rather than the reverse - ie. that the loss of the processing facilities necessitated expansion of the live trade. Either way however, I had the impression that easier profits were available from the live trade, and so the processors either changed operation to the live trade, or simple shut down. Now I'm not sure which way the cookie crumbled.

My suggestion was for abattoir facilities available in Oz to be expanded, or re-established, in areas of demand, and that processed product - boxed meat - be exported from Oz, to meet a continuing overseas demand. If live export is based on killing method only, then surely we could adapt our processing accordingly. My impression was that overseas buyers would prefer live export because there is greater profit for them that way - as they avoid Oz processing cost, which would obviously have to be far higher than that demonstrated by the revealed "pre-historical" Indonesian methods displayed on the ABC.

If I have erred in my assumptions or my logical suggestion for revitalising the industry in Oz, then I apologise.
Posted by Saltpetre, Tuesday, 31 May 2011 10:43:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There are four licensed abattoirs all in Victoria who slaughter the traditional Shari law way. Much of the food you eat including chocolate annd vegimite boasts on their labels that they only use halal prepared and obtained ingredients. In the mean time it distracted you all from worrying about the carbon tax very nicely didn't it?.
Posted by Sekhmet, Tuesday, 31 May 2011 11:52:49 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Never let the facts stand in the way of a good opinion! Halal slaughter does not require cruelty, nor does it forbid pre-stunning animals. If halal is wrong then kosher should also be wrong, since it sets out largely the same set of rules for slaughter (unless you think the blessing of a rabbi will make a difference to how the condemned beast feels about it). But again, neither of them requires cruelty.

There is cruelty happening in some Indonesian abbatoirs, clearly. It looks different from some of the cruelty that has happened at mainstream Australian abbatoirs in the past, sure, but don't let that fool you into believing non-Muslims are any less capable of cruelty towards animals. Australia just has a better legal framework and a better culture of ensuring ethical practice — for people of all faiths (including atheism) alike.
Posted by Tom Clark, Wednesday, 1 June 2011 9:10:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Firesnake posted: "Your religiously driven superstition and cruelty toward people ...... The bible doesn't mention abortion".

While I agree "There are endless forums to voice your opposition to free choice", YOU, not Runner, chose to bring religion into this side-issue, so I feel compelled to respond.

Unless you have extra knowledge outside that evident in his/her post as to what drives him/her, why state it is religion? I see no evidence in the post of religiosity.

I am staunchly anti-abortion, based on my opinions formed entirely outside any religion or religious influence, yet when I express my well-researched and independently-formed opinion in appropriate forums, I am commonly accused of being "religiously driven"/fuelled, a religious zealot, a "Bible-basher" and so on.
Posted by L.B.Loveday, Wednesday, 1 June 2011 9:16:22 AM
Salpetre, building another meatworks in the NT is regularly examined,
but things arn't that simple.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2010/07/21/165831_nt-business.html

The thing is, costs in the NT for everything are huge, meat coming
from station cattle is mostly low value processing meat. Indonesia
actually feelots our cattle, so substantially value adds them before
slaughter.

Banning things only raises the law of unintended consequences. Those
shipowners are not going to throw their brand new ships away, they
will simply load in Brasil, albeit for a longer journey.

Australia has in fact already started a roll out of stun gun boxes
at 5 Indonesian facilities, with another 5 due. That programme could
be increased to 20 or 30, with a little help and our cattle could
be channeled through those works. That is far kinder to the cattle
then trucking them to Adelaide, as is now being proposed.
Posted by Yabby, Wednesday, 1 June 2011 9:42:29 AM
It is good that these important issues have been raised. I put forward the following points which may help the discussion.
Late last year I had become very concerned about the potential problems involved with Halal slaughter. I looked up the excellent information on the RSPCA website and urge everybody to do the same.
Stunning which is done before bleeding by throat slitting is irreversible in non Halal methods, the idea being that there is no chance of the animal feeling pain.
In halal the stunning must not be irreversible and hence the certainty of painless throut slitting is reduced.
The circulation systems of pigs, sheep and cattle are not identical.
At the very least the chances of pain being inflicted are higher under halal than in modern non ritualistic methods.
There is no method of marking on meat or meat products stating that the product has not been produced under ritualistic conditions. Hence someone who does not wish to eat meat that has been produced by halal methods is unable to avoid doing so.
In UK at many outlets and gathering places all meat sold is halal. Hence, whether you like it or not if you go to Wembley or Twickenham stadia you will either eat halal slaughtered meat or none at all.
Clearly all meats and meat products must be labelled BY LAW that they are either 'halal', 'kosher' or 'humanly' slaughtered. At present a Muslim or Jew can be sure that flesh has been ritualistically slaughtered. I and millions like me do not have the equal right to be sure that the meat I eat has NOT been ritualistically slaughtered. Unfair, unjust and discriminatory.
Personally I would stop all ritualistic slaughter in Australia. But that is unlikely to happen. As a minimum all meat/meat products must be marked so that I and others of a similar mind set are equally empowered. Get you act together all parties: make marking/labelling compulsory.
Posted by eyejaw, Wednesday, 1 June 2011 9:46:53 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy