The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Multicultural food can't mask divisions > Comments

Multicultural food can't mask divisions : Comments

By Ben-Peter Terpstra, published 5/5/2011

Internationally multiculturalism is off the menu, and the only place you really find it in Australia is on the menu.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
The fact of the matter is is that we now all live in a multi-cultural world where everything is almost instantaneously inter-connected via the internet and rapid mass international travel.

There is nothing that anyone can do about it, especially in any short term time scale.

Any attempts to change this situation will necessarily involve comprehensive coercive measures including massive propaganda and/or "re-education" programs.

Welcome to the fascist future!

Plus the situation is further complicated by the fact that there are tens of millions of refugees on Europes door-step with no where to go.
These numbers will only increase in the near future and from now on.
The situation (as described today) in Egypt and other middle-Eastern countries points to this very real possibility
Posted by Ho Hum, Thursday, 5 May 2011 9:09:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ho Hum (author here): Please address the issues. There is plenty we can do to fight political correctness starting with the truth. Most Australians are not defeatists.

Nor is it true that we all live in a multicultural world. Many countries are not willing to water down their values for this week’s fashionable culture. France recently banned the burka, to my applause.
Posted by BPT, Thursday, 5 May 2011 10:03:38 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"If it's good, multiculturalism must be praised; if it's bad, multiculturalism is immune from criticism." so true

That reminds me of Keating's attacks on anyone who questioned his brand of Asian diplomacy, you were "racist" to question anything to do with the ALP approach to Asia .. the left loved it, (because it's true!)

These days the first test of anything a conservative says is, "who is this offending?" and goes from there in order of priority with Australian aboriginals at the top and anglo saxon descended white males at the bottom ( and the bottom rung, believe me, does not rate .. evidently it cannot be offended)

If a "progressive" is offensive, like some silly white aboriginal lately, then she was taken out of context and anyway its a revenge attack and it was aprivate twitter anyway. If Andrew Bolt had twittered what she had, there would have been an outcry, seriously, a huge tanty by the left, led by the ABC of course.

Similarly with multicultural elements, they can immediately cry racist when they dislike any question or accusation, but seem to be immune to the same accusation being leveled at them. We can be called skips, whitey whatever, with complete immunity .. they had difficult upbringings and who can blame them, after all they might have come from a war or poverty ravaged country .. just excuses used to train them they are "special" with power derived from that.

Multiculturalism has failed, it never really got a chance because while many people like to live around other cultures, no one wants their culture diluted .. except modern western societies, who then have their tolerance used against them
Posted by Amicus, Thursday, 5 May 2011 11:16:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The fact that the founder of Inspire was an advisor to Paul Keating is not relevant. Many ex-staffers and politicians become involved in organisations that help youth including Beyond Blue's Jeff Kennett.

I partly agree with some of your points although I suspect our long term visions might be different. It has a lot to do with the nature of multiculturalism and whether it is largely inclusive and involves integration and acceptance of the local laws and customs (including bacon on burgers).

Segregated multiculturalism does not work and as is evident in Europe. Integration is touted often as a dirty word but it is essential to harmonius communities as much as MUTUAL acceptance and tolerance for differing religious views.

There is no point nor is it desirable to have within a MC society zones where laws and some other customs might differ across the country. Where a women might not be able to walk through various areas with her head either uncovered or covered depending on her choice of destination and be subject to abuse.

New migrants should show respect to their chosen country just as I would if I moved to Saudi Arabia, although I would not choose that destination as it's values and customs are too different from my own.

Maybe MC will eventually be the answer to the world's woes ensuring that through integration it is our similarites that will be emphasised and not the differences. Generational change will sort the current problems out to some extent but the effort has to come from both newcomers and old-timers.
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 5 May 2011 11:25:27 AM
Amicus: Good points about Keating and so relevant to where we are now. They’re stuck in the 1990s. Labor doesn’t get it – even after the NSW election.

You’re right about this being a free speech issue too. I detest the many ways in which multicultural hysterics censor people. Some are just Stalinists at heart. Luckily, emotional blackmail doesn’t work on me (lol).

On a related note, Andrew Bolt recently linked my eyes to this report: “MORE than 60 per cent of refugees to Australia have failed to get a job after five years, according to a damning Federal Government report into the humanitarian settlement program.”
More: “And 83 per cent of those households now rely on welfare payments for income”! Meanwhile, Australian pensioners are going without gas and electricity to heat their homes. What a mess indeed.
Posted by BPT, Thursday, 5 May 2011 11:49:31 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
“The fact that the founder of Inspire was an advisor to Paul Keating is not relevant.”

Pelican: Actually when the said person is parroting Keating’s talking points from the 1990s it is an issue. Groupthink doesn’t always die.

If parroting Keating’s fantasy points is irrelevant, then why is he doing so? He is just echoing the old Labor position. Indeed, the fact that the founder of Inspire boasts about Keating on his websites today says it all.

At the end of the day, Islam and liberalism can’t coexist. The Europeans figured it out after Howard.
Posted by BPT, Thursday, 5 May 2011 11:56:15 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy