The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Snowy Hydro derivatives play submerges farmers > Comments

Snowy Hydro derivatives play submerges farmers : Comments

By Jennifer Marohasy, published 17/2/2011

To maximise its profit through the Snowy Hydro Corporation released water for hydro generation into swollen flood waters.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
What should the water level be at this time of the year in Eucumbene Dam? 30%, 50%, 100% or empty?

I believe that the Wentworth group have suggested unless the dam levels are not reduced then major flooding in SA will occur after this winter rains and snow fall melt.

My question is did any releases have any affect on previous flooded areas downstream - if not then what is the problem?
As it takes weeks if not months to get downstream, Blowering to Wagga could take 15 days.

Blowering dam should be much lower at this time of the year, there is no buffer at all for winter storage and any rain is causing overflows and how safe are the dams?
It has been suggested that not very and there are concerns being voiced - Tumut has 8 minutes to evacuate.

It must be very difficult to manage water systems when there is conflicting interests - saving water for future usage and buffering against possible flooding.
One thing is certain that it will never be right.

Data for Murrumbidgee is at
http://www.mirrigation.com.au/
And the Snowies
http://www.snowyhydro.com.au/lakeLevels.asp?pageID=47&parentID=6
Posted by PeterA, Thursday, 17 February 2011 7:54:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
PeterA,

Snowy Hydro was designed so it could potentially relieve flooding and store water during the type of flood event that occurred early December.

But instead of setting the tunnels so water was transferred east to Lake Eucumbene, the water managers set the trans-mountain tunnels so water was flowing at over 80 cubic metres per second towards the already swollen Murray and Murrumbidgee catchments... for nonessential electricity generation.

On the Wednesday in question, the operational plan shows 6,912 megalitres was released from Lake Eucumbene and power stations set for electricity generation
Posted by Jennifer, Thursday, 17 February 2011 9:21:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
[Deleted for abuse.]
Posted by Ho Hum, Thursday, 17 February 2011 9:38:44 AM
Ho Hum
"propaganda hack for the IPA" Dear! Dear! Are you so unsure of your own arguments that you need to fling dirt around in the hope that something will stick?

Come now, surely you can think of something relevent to the actual argument. The point about the Snowy Cop maximising its own profits had promise - now you need to find something to back with with, or suggest a solution..
Posted by Curmudgeon, Thursday, 17 February 2011 10:05:42 AM
Graham as per my email to you, I request that the above comment be deleted:

"After all you are a propaganda hack for the IPA which recommends that all government activities should be privatized, and that corporations should be essentially free to maximize their profits"

I am not, and have never been, a propaganda hack for the IPA.

And I'm not, and never have been a conservative or advocate for free markets. I'm a utilitarian libertarian.
Posted by Jennifer, Thursday, 17 February 2011 11:34:20 AM
I didn,t think that those dam levels ever changed, excess water goes straight through, and on to the murray after the Hume dam was full. There's hydro power at the hume to. Other than that the hydro water is recirculated back to the higher dams at night. last year the murray commission was calling for water from the snowy system to make up water for the murray.
Posted by a597, Thursday, 17 February 2011 12:56:42 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy