The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Licensed to smoke > Comments

Licensed to smoke : Comments

By Michael Lardelli, published 26/11/2010

How a different approach could make all the difference to Australian nicotine addicts.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
I think you are all dealing with the wrong "addict".

If the government's addiction to taxes on tobacco (and alcohol) was solved, then we would not have to deal with their Dr.Jeckyl/Mr.Hyde attitude to it.

For instance, as an example, if the government (regardless of party) stops playing world self promotion, we could afford to stop taxing tobacco.

Stop taxing tobacco, then we can implement some policies to help the remaining addicts.

You could then make it illegal (a bit extreme) or bring other social tools to bear.

But, number one, get the government off it!
Posted by Amicus, Friday, 26 November 2010 7:05:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ridiculous idea.

What a way to create an instant black market and increase crime.

You're basically selling licences to become drug-dealers.
Posted by TrashcanMan, Friday, 26 November 2010 7:25:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
you have taken...my idea for BOOZErs
and twisted it to suit further oppressing smokers

i put forward..that drinkers should be licenced
that druinking over the licebnced ammount of booze..invalidates other licences..such as licence to drive...[ie you can only use one licence at a time]

apply this to all the other addictions..that affect..drivers

but to single out smokers
who dont go arround glassing people
who dont drink/drive...who dont beat-up those calling them stinkey

mate you guys dont just beat all..its not enough..docters refuise to treat us in hospital...that were taxed...that smoking..is ATTRIBUTABLE..but not the CAUSE..of the many diseases ADDED to FLUFF-up..the numbers

ie asbestosis...that causes death..is accredited to smoking
[because there are so many...insurance cant cover their suing
thus the lie of smoking causing cancer

little do people know how stink has been added
to make the smoke smell worse...

also little known is woodsmoke and diesal particulate..then asbestus..are the 3 biggest causes of lung cancer

and booze is prime cause of 4 out of the 5 highest causes of death
[as well as domestic violence...violence..assults..rapes..yet still the boozers get their medical aid

or the obese...getting diabetus..they dont get taxed on lolies...transfats

but we smokers
yes we get the shaft

govt has turned society against one third of its poulation
simply..to distract from the REAL PROBLEMS

raceism..lies..organised oppression..is fine against smokers..

bah its you lot..[faux-racists..that need hate]
that really stink..[worse than those reeking of carcinogenic deoderant/fake per-fumes..or diesal particulate..or rancid transfats]
Posted by one under god, Friday, 26 November 2010 7:45:22 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In principle, a good idea, and better than nothing.
Posted by MikeyBear, Friday, 26 November 2010 7:48:53 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Quote: "they become a burden on our society’s health services".

I suggest that non-smokers are a greater burden on society's largesse - they live longer on average thereby receiving age-pensions and other age-benefits for much longer and it matters not a lot whether one dies of lung cancer or another cancer in terms of heath costs.

As to "it usually provides little pleasure to smokers other than the absence of the nausea brought on by failing to smoke", smoking has not prevailed for so long without having obvious theraputic benefits, and I attribute in good part the increase in public alcohol-fuelled violence to the ban on smoking - smoking has a calming effect that offsets to a certain degree the agression alcohol fuels in so many people. Many people used to smoke only when drinking for just that reason.
Posted by L.B.Loveday, Friday, 26 November 2010 7:49:20 AM
I agree totally with Amicus. If governments were really serious about the alleged health disbenefits of tobacco, they could simply ban it, the same as they have done for other drugs such as heroin and marijuana (both of which have obvious therapeutic properties for certain illnesses). If I ever go to hospital which has staff which refuse treatment for a disease claimed to be smoking-related, I'll point out that the extra tax I've paid over the years has helped pay for the staffing and construction of said hospital!

There is an ad being flogged ad nauseum on TV at the moment where an young, overweight female actor struggles up stairs and tells us that all smokers end up with emphesema. This may well be true, but I'm nearly sixty, smoke near a pack a day, and can run up stairs two at a time while, admittedly, being a bit breathless by the end, I'm not near death like the actress portrays. A few kilos lost from her large behind would help her "stairway progession".
Posted by viking13, Friday, 26 November 2010 8:22:28 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy