The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Licensed to smoke > Comments

Licensed to smoke : Comments

By Michael Lardelli, published 26/11/2010

How a different approach could make all the difference to Australian nicotine addicts.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Oh dear. So OUG, all those millions spent on advertising to save you and educate people like yourselves, is just a waste of times according to you?.........excellent! then one can stop wasting time with the likes of you and invest the surplus on the unemployed people, with the work-for-the dole programs by doubling the payments....WOW OUG you have a heart of gold.

OUG..said..

you can fantisize..about what 15 dollars can buy

one meal in a resterant
or a cheap bottle of whine
or 3 capochinoes
or a pack of nappies
or a cheap watch
or a pair of rechargable tripple c batteries
public transport to work for the day
or a short taxi ride

its pathetic...i dont want any of that stuff
i just want to smoke my smoke
and be left alone
if i die...who give a flick.

Again! excellent!

Ummm OUG...what about all those small business people that relies on all those products that you mentioned above that keeps a greater volume of first-time job hunters employed? or do you just support the big top-end companies that makes billions, and that just laughs at you for being a DRUG-DEALERS pet?

I never took you for a capitalist supporter OUG.

And its Sir HIGH priest mate:)

Look OUG....If want to stick a FAG in your mouth, your right... Its none of my business:)

BLUE
Posted by Deep-Blue, Monday, 29 November 2010 6:17:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Continue dreaming OUG. You carry on about solvents and alcohol and prescription medications causing deaths- but this thread is about smoking isn't it?
If you want to discuss the other issues- start a new thread.

Check these stats out OUG :

"Each year more than 18,000 Australians die prematurely because of smoking - that's 50 a day.

Smoking kills more people in Australia than the total number killed by drink, drugs, murder, suicide, road crashes, rail crashes, air crashes, poisoning, drowning, fires, falls, lightning, electrocution, snakes, spiders and sharks.

Of 1,000 young Australian males who smoke, 1 will be murdered, 15 will be killed on the road and 250 will be killed before their time by tobacco."

http://www.nsma.org.au/facts/figures.htm

Amazingly, medical science can now tell the difference between a healthy lung, heart, brain or blood vessels, and those affected by nicotine. It's not that hard.

Go and have some tests yourself OUG.
Posted by suzeonline, Monday, 29 November 2010 6:58:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think we are speeding down the wrong trail when blaming the smoker for the evils of smoking. What is important is the welfare of the smoker, not an ostracizing campaign aimed at them.

Believe it or not there are people who actually enjoy smoking. They may be overheard referring to the cigarette as their “friend”, an endearment incomprehensible to me personally but I accept their deep attachment to the habit none-the-less.

I think smokers are accepting of the fact their habit boarders on the anti-social and reluctantly but good naturedly accept the changing social norms imposed on them by the remainder of us the non-smokers. It is true to say though, we do a lot of winging to force changes to the rules of smoking rightly or wrongly.
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 29 November 2010 9:53:26 PM
gypsy, second-hand smoke can be harmful to the people around you: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Tobacco/ETS (from the US, but the information is relevant).

There is also the thinking that second-hand smoke is even more harmful as a non-smoker breathes normally while a smoker (while smoking) only puffs. I am not a smoker so cannot really verify this...

Anyway, the thinking goes that as a non-smoker breathes normally the smoke goes deep into the lungs where damage occurs more easily. There were studies to show that lung cancer in smokers tends to be in the upper areas of the lung while non-smokers who developed lung cancer presented with tumours deep in the lungs.

I can't find the link for the above but this is related: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/11/071126104424.htm

Personally I have no problem with people smoking, but more government bureaucracy doesn't seem like the answer. Plus a blackmarket would be a real possibility especially as cigarettes would still be available overseas. Customs would have yet one more item to search for in all our luggage. We should have hermetically-sealed smoking bars or something akin to that. In Australia you can't just walk down the street drinking a beer, yet you can with a cigarette.

As for alcohol-fuelled violence being a result of smoking restrictions...if that is the argument, then perhaps we should ban alcohol too. Our society is becoming more violent-prone even during sober hours.

http://currentglobalperceptions.blogspot.com/
Posted by jorge, Monday, 29 November 2010 10:35:25 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wake up Australia. Regardless whether you do or do not smoke the real issue is Freedom of choice. Every year more of our inalienable freedoms are being taken from us by drakonion legislation.
To hide what they are doing so people do not focus turn people against each other as is the case of the smoking debate. Anti Smokers against Pro. Smokers. After reading the comments posted, some appearing very nasty attacks from both sides makes one realise its not the real issue. The real issue is freedom of choice and both sides attempting to impose their beliefs on each other. I am a smoker and I choose to smoke and if I die from smoke related illness that is my choice.
I can remember when trains had smoking and non smoking carriages.
Posted by gypsy, Tuesday, 30 November 2010 6:20:41 AM
as i suspected..susie...no personalised heartbreak..
so this reveals your loose with your spin

also your facts are somewhat ambigious

This page was last updated on 21st April, 2006,

i suppose suing this mob
The Non-Smokers' Movement of Australia Inc,
for lying..would be a waste of time..

[they likely are some shelf copmpany..
or drongoes..that need to get some of that great tax money..for their hate group

but lets look at their numbers

Each year more than because of smoking - that's 50 a day.

In Australia in 1986,
the following body organs were removed from humans
because of cancer caused by smoking:

521 lungs

148 gullets

71 tongues

221 voice boxes

82 stomachs

40 pancreases

68 wombs

85 bladders 115 kidneys and 161 miscellaneous body parts.

*THATS FAR FROM*ADDING UP TO*
''18,000 Australians"

and the number of disproportuinate wombs
indicates a matter of concern*...
[for strippers blowing smoke bubbles]

BUT in your hate..
you fail to see the blooming obvious
THE NUMBERS DONT ADD UP..!

i note the complete absence of the obese persons
[or cows}.. artery filled with butter

or removal of those blackend toes
[ie from frostbite]

or them distorted teeth..from ya adverts

THESE numbers ALONE prove the spin
or SEVERE negligence...
or lies..re the true cost of medical aid

BUT in your bigoted..blindness..
you only see what you seek to remain.. so morally supiour to these
factionalised..despised smokers...oh how clever..your lies..and theirs

so your non reply of autospsies..speaks volumes
and those who are quoted..in the numbers abouve
HOW MANY OF THEM DIED..?

oh and what is the average life expectancy of a smoker
once they hit ya hospital...indeed are you really even a nurse

you seem to be loose with the truth
or extreemly gullable

you certainly dont reply questions

ps go read a ciggie packet...there on it..they have to remain in legal bounds
thus THEY use attributable...to...not the more liablous caused by...

because THEY GOT NO AUTOPSY...proof...of hjust how many or how few
taking the docters words...and guess what docters lie
Posted by one under god, Tuesday, 30 November 2010 10:10:16 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy