The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Jilting the independents is prime ministerial > Comments

Jilting the independents is prime ministerial : Comments

By Alan Anderson, published 31/8/2010

Much of the commentary seems to have gone to the heads of the Independents. You'd think they'd each been elected President of Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
" They even want briefings from senior public servants on the implications of the major parties’ policies. It is obvious that such a role would hopelessly compromise the perception and reality of an apolitical public service."

I would have thought that in itself demonstrates an apolitical public service. What is wrong with those who will help to form government knowing the costings of policies. How could the independents possibly choose who will form government without an impartial and apolitical costing process.

Jilting the independents is not prime ministerial - these people have been elected by their constituents as is the democratic process and arguing that less consultative governing is better than not ranks of the 'more of the same' of which one hopes we have moved on (even if not forward).

"Old politics" has been in demise since the two major parties lost their ideological way.

I don't think the commentary has gone to 'their' heads at all. It is natural the media and the public's attention will turn to these Independents.

This article is just an Ad for the Coalition.
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 31 August 2010 10:01:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The treasury reports that the independents are asking for access to do not actually proclaim support or otherwise for either of the major political parties. They outline the effects of and requirements for funding the promises and economic plan of the government. As long as all involved treat the reports with respect on that level then there is no real problem in providing them for review. It will still be the job of the independents to analyse which plan is the one they'd rather support.

The independents have not as far as I've seen been trying to 'revolutionise the political system' through unreasonable demands. They've so far asked for a more consultative and inclusive approach to government with greater importance being placed on committees and private members' bills. Both of these have been reduced to irrelevance over the years by both parties.
Posted by Dick, Tuesday, 31 August 2010 10:53:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While it's true that the committee system has been treated with disdain by governments of both types and that private members' bills have been largely ignored, simply asserting that a government should give them greater importance doesn't actually solve the problem. How would one do that in practical terms?

People who choose to stand as independents (and people who vote for them) need to accept that they are not playing in the main game and stop bitching about being ignored.

The only practical function of independents in the parliament is to decide which of the major parties they are going to support from time to time.

People living outside the major cities have been getting a bad deal for many years and that needs to be remedied conscientiously by the major parties, not independents with very limited remit.
Posted by KenH, Tuesday, 31 August 2010 12:01:16 PM
People living outside the cities are whingers. They get a great deal. Their vote is worth more for a start. They get great farming subsidies, no traffic, nature at their doorstep, low pollution, cheap housing, big backyards. If they think the city is so great, the solution is very very simple...

Move to the city.

Country people aren't 'salt of the earth' or friendly, they're whinging bigoted bitchy gossippers with a massive chip on their shoulder who think they're doing the country a favour.
Posted by Houellebecq, Tuesday, 31 August 2010 12:10:19 PM
Nice little flame there, Houellebecq.

Given that electorates are roughly the same size in terms of population, how do you figure that country people's votes are worth more than those of city people? Not to mention that, generally speaking, unless you're a conservative country voter your vote doesn't count at all except in the Senate. At both the Federal and State levels I'm represented by rusted-on National/LNP MPs who routinely return more than 60% of the primary vote.

As for this gross generalisation:

<< Country people aren't 'salt of the earth' or friendly, they're whinging bigoted bitchy gossippers with a massive chip on their shoulder who think they're doing the country a favour. >>

You obviously haven't spent much time in the bush, have you?

BTW, I see your namesake's in the news:

<< Has mad, bad Michel Houellebecq come in from the cold? >>

http://tiny.cc/rvr8q

I was rather taken by this bit:

<< One striking aspect of the novel is Houellebecq's appearance as a principal character. It is not a pretty sight: he is depicted, some would say realistically, as a stinking alcoholic with a skin disease and a penchant for eating mortadella and biscuits in bed. >>

Maybe you need to get out of bed and go bush for a while :)
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 31 August 2010 12:34:53 PM
Haha CJ,

I've tempted a prize bite.

'Given that electorates are roughly the same size in terms of population, how do you figure that country people's votes are worth more than those of city people?'

The smaller populated states with more country areas and their equal senate representation.

Symptomatic of the zietgeist (always wanted to use it) is the quote...

'You obviously haven't spent much time in the bush, have you?'

That little doozy (Trying to relate to you in your country terms now) wouldn't be out of place coming from the mouth of the esteemed Bob Katter. Those city folks just haven't got a clue what we country people face.

My fathers side of the family are all from 'the bush'. And I have never heard of a farmer who doesn't still think Strayla rides on the sheeps back, or that country people are better people. They're always doin' tough, much like working families in the burbs I grant you, but with the added chip on the shoulder that city people just don't appreciate them and that they should get MORE hand outs. It's their god given right to work the land, permanent drought or not.

As to my namesake, well, this interview is a classic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t97G3gRH_Rg&feature=related

The man is a legend. I must admit his first 2 books were far superior to the last two, but then how many times have you heard that said about artists. Even more wonderful than his books is his ability to get people's knickers in a twist, and be such a divisive, polarising person all round.
Posted by Houellebecq, Tuesday, 31 August 2010 1:16:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy