The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The weekend of the non-believers > Comments

The weekend of the non-believers : Comments

By Ian Robinson, published 16/3/2010

In Melbourne the non-believers came and mingled, enjoying their escalating legitimacy in the community.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
runner, i suppose i have all this bile because i'm a godless atheist. what's your excuse?
Posted by bushbasher, Tuesday, 16 March 2010 5:25:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Some contributors cannot tell what forces actually drive people to do cruel things. Nazism gained power and influence over the German people due mainly to the obscene conditions imposed on the German people by the victors in WW1.
If anyone wishes to find a precise comment on the reasons for the French Revolution they should read the closing paragraphs of A Tale of Two Cities. Dickens summed the situation accurately.
I know quite a few non-theists and I find their ethics quite superior to anyone who is willing to indoctrinate children. Teaching children to think clearly will improve their IQ by 6-7% and significantly improve their behaviour. About all churches do is undermine a child's self confidence by teaching them, when they are too young to understand and resist, that they are sinners.
Posted by Foyle, Tuesday, 16 March 2010 8:41:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Runner <" They are the most intolerant group in Australia. I would say they even surpass the militant muslims. They certainly kill a lot more people and especially unborn babies."

What? Yet again Runner, you manage to drag abortion into any subject brought up on these forums!

Are you suggesting here that most women who have abortions are atheists? Where is your proof on that? Any statistics?

No? What about the gem that atheists 'kill a lot more people'? Really?

Atheists don't believe in Gods, miracles or other such fantasies- they sound quite sane to me.
Posted by suzeonline, Tuesday, 16 March 2010 10:27:07 PM
Slobodon Meshirtfront,
To put the Dawkins remark about Fielding in context, it was in relation to a remark made by Fielding when they both appeared on the Q and A panel last week.

Fielding admitted that he believed the Earth was only 10,000 years old and Dawkins was somewhat aghast that somebody who held such views could be qualified to be a Senator in a Government.

Although the "earthworm" comparison was a bit extreme, so is the notion that somebody who is making significant decisions for the whole country could display such a potential flaw in logic.

Would we feel comfortable if somebody who may hold the balance of legislative power was working on behalf of Xenu and the Galactic Federation or was prone to speaking in tongues or hearing voices?
Posted by wobbles, Tuesday, 16 March 2010 11:41:23 PM
I wish I were in the conference.

Nice to know the names of the celebrities who were non-believers. Among them Taslima Nasreen is closer home as she had stayed in our city -- Kolkata for a few years before she was hounded out by the Communist (?) state government and secular (?) central government of India on the fear of losing Muslim votes.

My complaint against Taslima is that she under pressure had withdrawn some pages unmasking Mohammed, founder of Islam, from one of her books.

My request to nonbelievers is to unite to form a political force since Religion is nothing but a powerful branch of the ruling class to control the masses.
Posted by GODHATE, Wednesday, 17 March 2010 12:00:12 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dawkins is being hypocritical . Darwin's hypothesis of evolution has never been proved scientifically. Like the anthropogenic global warming believers, the Darwin evolution believers have been conned by mere assertion.
Posted by Raycom, Wednesday, 17 March 2010 10:54:16 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy