The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Anti-immigration backlash roils ties between Australia and India - part I > Comments

Anti-immigration backlash roils ties between Australia and India - part I : Comments

By Robin Jeffrey, published 9/3/2010

Despite being a nation built by immigrants, Australia faces fresh challenges in dealing with new arrivals, particularly from India.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. All
There are a few things worth considering.
Chinese and Indian students are very welcome but must come on valid visas and passports. Extreme vigilance must be exercised that the system isnt being rorted.

2. They should make it clear if they have really come with a view to immigrating finally after they have succeeded in their studies/research. Their countries could well do with the knowledge and skills they acquire.
3 If they wish to remain they should be made to understand the pitfalls so that they cant claim they were hoodwinked into believing otherwise and therefore they cannot make any claims on Australia. They should realise that there is the darker side to life in Australia and if they fall victim to it then it isnt because we are racists but that we ourselves are more vulnerable to all of it than they are. They must be brave enough to be accepting and understanding.

4. Australia cannot but be considerably enriched by their scientific and entreprenurial skills. We already have been but things can only be made better.
The future of this country may owe much to the influx if all gores well. Make them welcome with courage and open hearts.

socratease
Posted by socratease, Tuesday, 9 March 2010 1:59:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just for the record, Indian students have been coming to Australia since the inception of the Colombo Plan in 1950. While there has been a huge increase in numbers and aims substantially different in recent years tne original intent of the scheme was magnificently achieved.

It was intended students arriving in Australia under the plan would return home to assist in the development of the member countries economies.

Australia has been successfully involved and engaged with India for over 50 years. To suggest otherwise is erroneous.
Posted by keith, Tuesday, 9 March 2010 3:52:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For the past 5 summers I have opened my home as a hostel for South Korean backpackers. Although I have been accused of being racist for singling out one race of people, I began doing so when I saw the active discrimination against them. By only advertising my vacancies in the Korean language I believe all that I am doing is positively discriminating in their favour.
Most of my clientele are already graduates of South Korean universities. They come to Australia to work two years in the fruit and vegetable harvest industries and to earn money. Then many will go home and apply to return to Australia under education visas to upgrade the graduate qualifications they already possess. Having spent two years working in Australia they are familiar with Australian culture when they make the decision that they wish to qualify to become Australian citizens.
Incidentally I already have one granddaughter who has worked in China for three years, and another who is undertaking a double degree at the St. Lucia Queensland University, studying commerce and Chinese studies. She has just completed a 3 months immersion in Chinese in a university in Taiwan during what was her Australian university holiday break.
Posted by Country girl, Tuesday, 9 March 2010 3:59:51 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I thought the anger was due to a perception that Australia has the developed World's equivalent of the Nigerian Loan Scam. Many Indians have come to Australia on false promises of residency. They spend the family fortune on bogus courses, and when they finally realise they have been had, find to their desolation that the Australian Government only seems eager to deport them. They return to their newly impoverished lives and families, only to see the same spivs spruiking the same scams. No wonder Indians are so angry. If the Australian Government was fair dinkum they would make a bit more effort to put the scammers out of business instead of giving their victims an impression of indifference, perhaps even complicity.
Posted by Fester, Tuesday, 9 March 2010 7:25:14 PM
Good one,Fester.
I have often why the government hasnt monitored the industry more closely and why, now, they have done next to nothing.It is scandalous.
Readers of this blog should take your words to heart.

socratease
Posted by socratease, Tuesday, 9 March 2010 8:56:37 PM
Keith,
I thought we entered into the Colombo plan to help Australian trade.

You know. We educate your young, and in return, you buy our produce.

If so, then the plan has been a total disaster, as we now have a huge trade deficit.

Worse still, we have an underskilled population, we have a mentality of import, import, import, and we now depend on what we can dig out of the ground to pay for our debts.

Training foreign students has been of very little use to Australia.

It has been a rort from beginning to end.
Posted by vanna, Tuesday, 9 March 2010 9:09:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy