The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > St Valentine’s Day as the ultimate cliché? > Comments

St Valentine’s Day as the ultimate cliché? : Comments

By Joel Bevin, published 12/2/2010

Is St Valentine's Day simply a cop-out; a day reserved for Disney, Hallmark and Cadbury?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Joel, you seem like a nice young chap and I can tell that you're unemployed (consulting) and without a female companion, otherwise you'd never write such a prevaricating article.

First of all you should know who I am. I am Cheryl and I control the markets. You might think that Adam Smith's invisible hand was the prime mover, but no, it's me. And here's the lowdown cobber ... I really want Cadbury, Hallmark, etc to make a lot of money on St V's Day, OK? OKAY? You wouldn't believe how angry I get when people start whining over marketing.

Secondly, I want you on the evening of 13 Feb to ask a complete stranger out. Here's a hint: pick someone you like. You'll get rejections but that's only evidence of probability at work. If you approach a lot of women and you don't have outrageous standards and you can walk and talk, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

The fact you're at uni is a worry because it means you're probably poor as a church mouse. Hide that fact on the first date. Say you're working in marketing, because mate, that's what you'll be doing when you graduate.

Now take the girl out on the first date on Feb 14, buy her a heart shaped chocolate, but also remind her that it doesn't mean 'we're engaged'. Try pay for the dinner too, but be mindful that some women will think you're trying to get in to their pants - which you are.
Posted by Cheryl, Friday, 12 February 2010 11:45:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fabulous response Cheryl; am in fits of laughter especially your business/marketing comment; I LOVE it! May you be healthy happy and prosperous through life.
Posted by we are unique, Friday, 12 February 2010 4:50:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Joel, what it comes down to is that most girls love schmalz. That
is the reality of the female brain, most of the time.

They don't want to hear the truth, they want their emotional buttons
pushed.

So you should go out and find a girl like maybe Cheryl. Tell her
what she wants to hear. Tell her that she is wonderful, tell her
that she is beautiful, tell her that she is intelligent, tell
her that she is the one in a million that you have been searching
for all your life.

Valentines day, well shower her with flowers and chocolates.

She'll feel so great that most likely she'll bonk you silly.
If she doesent, time to move on, another 9 are waiting and the
odds are very much in your favour.

Fact is that the majority of women are slaves to their emotions
and those emotional buttons are just waiting for you.

And after all that rejection, girls like Cheryl might finally
even get lucky :)

Posted by Yabby, Friday, 12 February 2010 10:36:03 PM
You'll need more than a hunk of meat on a string to get me Yabby.
Posted by Cheryl, Saturday, 13 February 2010 8:12:44 AM
The Japanese have a different take on Valentine's Day... on Valentine's Day women are supposed to give men gifts etc....

Men are supposed to return the favour on White Day (which is the 14th of March)

Double the fun and double the romance...
Posted by WeAreAllOne, Saturday, 13 February 2010 9:26:09 AM
Joel I identify with your sentiments about valentines day.
The odd thing about these ‘celebrations’ of human behaviour, is the distinct feeling that you are being funnelled into believing something that you are unsure about the true meaning of.
When you go on a journey to discover what that is, there are suprises like saint valentine had nothing to do with romantic love.
There is something inherently positive in these days that are hard to ignore, I wonder sometimes if our evolutionary minds are trained to feel good on days of giving.
Shakespeare says it best:
To-morrow is Saint Valentine's day,
All in the morning betime,
And I a maid at your window,
To be your Valentine.
Then up he rose, and donn'd his clothes,
And dupp'd the chamber-door;
Let in the maid, that out a maid
Never departed more.
—William Shakespeare , Hamlet, Act IV, Scene 5
Posted by bluealien, Saturday, 13 February 2010 7:46:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy