The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Brisbane floods

Brisbane floods

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. 21
  10. All
22,000 homes in Brisbane flooded again, & this time they used the flood mitigation of the major dams correctly. When it rains here, it really does. Last time there was this much rain was 1894.

Just south of Brisbane we had 260mm here yesterday, giving 619mm for the month, 570mm in 6 days. To put that in perspective in 1993 & 94 we had less than 500mm for the full year.

Talk about a land of droughts & flooding rains. At least with everything so soggy, we aren't likely to get fires in the near future.

Now it is NSWs turn, with the system moving south.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 28 February 2022 12:41:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I thought that we were told by the climate crooks and hysterics that we wouldn’t even get enough rain to fill the reservoirs. I wonder what lie they will dream up to cover this catastrophe.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 1 March 2022 9:34:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen,
Think they could do it a lot better. A day or two ago I hear an interview where it was pointed out that they don't empty the dams in advance even when reliable weather forecasts say a huge amount of rain is definitely coming. If they did there'd still be floods, of course, but maybe they wouldn't be quite as bad.

ttbn,
The climatologists, hydrologists and science communicators were saying that after years of drought, the ground was so dry and has the capacity to absorb so much water that normally drought breaking rains wouldn't be enough to fill the dame. Of course shouldn't take seriously "hysterics and climate crooks" who falsely claimed they were saying the dams would never fill again. But you idiotically fall for everything they say, treating them as experts while treating the experts as hysterics and crooks!
Posted by Aidan, Tuesday, 1 March 2022 10:12:06 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I wonder what lie they will dream up to cover this catastrophe.
ttbn,
I don't think they're lying so much as to trying to hide the fact that they really don't now anything ! But, in order to keep procuring funding from just as ignorant bureaucrats they have to waffle on with what they believe is intelligent waffle !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 1 March 2022 10:13:55 AM
Watching the outflow of Wivenhoe Dam I'm dismayed at the waste of water which could have been directed inland by pumps driven by the enormous power from the overflow.
If only we had politicians to start such a project & the voter numbers to support it. Alas !
So, the flooding & inevitable incalculable damage to property & society as whole continues.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 1 March 2022 10:29:22 AM
Interesting idea individual. Have you considered telling it to a your average sixteen year old year 12 high school physics student who also studies economics to get their opinion of it?

Basically individual, as any year 12 physics & econ student could tell you: your idea is a no-go if you wish it to generate more wealth than it would cost.
(And they could back it up the actual calculations, that you seem to be incapable of doing, with less than an hour's worth of background research on the internet)
Posted by thinkabit, Tuesday, 1 March 2022 11:44:30 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. 21
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy