The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Our coinage

Our coinage

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Is Mise,

It was sarcasm.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 2 November 2021 8:22:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is Mise my earlier post was a tongue in cheek effort, but unlike ViolentEntropy, I do find cash very useful. It is my simple budget control method.

Once a fortnight I give myself my spending money, usually using cash out at the super market using my debit card. This is the money for all purchases in the next fortnight. This then has to cover all my spending for that period of things like fuel groceries medicines etc. If I were to run out of this money I stop spending.

Once a month I transfer money to my bill paying account. This is enough to cover all home costs, rates, power, insurance maintenance, plus all similar motoring costs, with an excess to cover tyres etc. This a/c builds over the years, & last year paid for a 12M x 7M 4 bay shed.

I believe it is very easy to overspend when using cards, & the system works very well for me, & many others. I would be most unhappy to see cash disappear, allowing my every purchase to be monitored.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 2 November 2021 11:05:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen,
I’d be unhappy to see cash disappear as well as I use quite a few washers!!
However the point is, is the small coinage necessary when it has so little value?
No doubt the groat and the farthing were useful in their day but once they became so small in relative value they disappeared.
No one lamented the disappearance of the fourpence coin probably because it was so easily mistaken for a threepence piece and usually in the wrong direction.

I do much the same as you regarding expenditure although since the onset of COVID I’ve been using the card much more.
Mine too is a debit card and I’ve never had, and never will have a credit card..
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 3 November 2021 8:20:36 AM
Is Mise: You wrote: " Only cheapskates put coins into collection hats/tins/plates, a dollar is 1/1305th of the average weekly wage."

The single pension is $967.50 per fortnight. So for a pensioner, a dollar is 1/494th of their weekly income. I suspect that many pensioners donate a dollar at church (or buy a raffle ticket) because they know what it is like to be short on money and want to help others.
Posted by Cossomby, Wednesday, 3 November 2021 11:30:21 AM
Cossomby,
Then such pensioners are generous but put those on the average wage who drop in a dollar in a poor light.

When the value of the coins is low then the strugglers get little got their money,,personally I never give to buskers who have amplification or who are just practicing music.
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 3 November 2021 12:56:20 PM
Foxy,
So it wasn’t a play on words but simple sarcasm, sorry I missed the sarcastic bit as well; perhaps you’ll enlighten me?
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 3 November 2021 2:36:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy