The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Hanson and Katter got it right this time

Hanson and Katter got it right this time

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Beijing generated $3.6 billion and spent more than $40 billion for the Summer Olympics in 2008. As of 2016, Los Angeles is the only host city that realized a profit from the games, mostly because the required infrastructure already existed. Additionally, it is difficult ascertaining exactly which benefits come from hosting the Olympics.

Pauline Hanson and Bob Katter would rather spend money on roads, schools and hospitals than on the Olympics.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 22 July 2021 5:34:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Palaszczuk is doing a Whitlam, meaning the crap will hit the fan long after she's gone !
Typical Labor, not considering their legacy, the consequences for later generations !
Posted by individual, Thursday, 22 July 2021 10:22:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Olympic Games are outmoded and cost not only the host countries money, but all countries that enable pampered athletes to attend. Now that they have started the stupid bending the knee, they piss me off more than ever. And, let's not forget the blatant cheating of Communist China.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 22 July 2021 11:11:59 PM
Everyone I've spoken to about it so far, (I'm in Brisbane) say they're going to pack up and leave (They probably wont, well see), though I do have another friend who was looking at property investments in suburbs that would see him financially better off when the games come, but I've not spoken to him since the decision was made.

A lot of people just aren't keen for the roadwork, construction, traffic jams and all the rest that goes along with it.

Plenty of other worthwhile things to spend that money on.

They say it will generate 17 billion.

By my calculator - they're estimating 3.4 million people will come, and spend $5000 each.

- I'm calling total bs on that.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 23 July 2021 1:21:39 AM
I can't imagine an Australia without sport.
Growing up in Sydney - sport was very much a part of
our lives. It kept us focused. It was as vital as
breathing. And the Olympics was the place where you
saw the best of the best and gave our best - the chance
to show the world what we were made of. Even the poorest
countries take pride in being part of this event. It's
a question of national pride.

Anyway, I'm sure that Brisbane will do well out of the
Games. I certainly will be watching the Opening Ceremony
in Tokyo tonight. The Games are about more than just
sport. It gives people a chance to mix with other cultures
and get to understand that - it is a small world afterall.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 23 July 2021 9:50:16 AM
cont'd ...

Ken Budden's poem sums things u p rather well:

"Only for those of a special breed
Living a dream, a chance to succeed
Yesterday's hopes and desires coming true
Making your mark with records anew

Proving hard work and the daily grind
Instructing the body, conditioning the mind
Can capture a medal for the whole world to see, with
Glamour and Pride for your country

As you stand aloft and your flag is flown high, there's
Memories forever, and a tear in your eye
Enjoying the moment, the admiring looks,
Securing your name in the history books."
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 23 July 2021 10:21:40 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy