The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Port Arthur 25 Years On

Port Arthur 25 Years On

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. All
Jim Morrison, tactical commander who was involved
in the 20 hour long siege with the shooter at Port
Arthur to this day remembers the horrific details
of that operation vividly. He says:

"Most Australians support a strong gun safety framework
and we must collectively do everything we can to avoid
a US style gun culture, and another Port Arthur."

There are lessons to be learned from Port Arthur - 25 years
on:

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/7219125/how-policing-changed-after-port-arthur-tragedy/
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 29 April 2021 11:08:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Most Australians support a strong gun safety framework
Foxy,
If it weren't for the indoctrinated mentality of our young now, we could have a strong safety network of responsible gun handlers, alas !
Posted by individual, Thursday, 29 April 2021 2:32:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes god help us if we ever have to defend our country. My son tells me of Naval officer cadets closing their eyes as they squeezed the trigger of the Steyr rifle when training on the range, frightened of the bang. We could never raise a militia of the type that defended us on the Kokoda track today.

I carried a 303 on the yacht when in the Pacific islands, & would have carried something much more potent if I had planned to ventured into the pirate infested parts of Indonesia or the Philippines, only a fool would not, however I gave that to another yachty heading that way, on my return. The range of the 303 is too great for it to be used in less than a very large property in Oz.

Today I have a 22 & a shot gun, needed to protect my foals from the wild dog infestation of most near city council areas like mine. Councils demand I keep my dogs locked up & useless for the job, meaning it falls to me & a gun.

People should remember it is not guns that kill people, but the person at the trigger, & the main killers are not registered guns. If a gun is not available a truck, car, machete or knife is still pretty effective at the job. Criminally insane will find a way if they want to.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 29 April 2021 3:58:57 PM
I once debated calibre with a sporting shooter & didn't he get riled up (yes, School Teacher=Labor Voter) when I said that I think that a .44 Magnum or a .357 magnum is totally over the top for simple target shooting.
I told him a .22 or even an air gun would be more than adequate for firing at a 6x6" piece of cardboard.
"Bull$hit" he exclaimed, "It's my Right to use whatever calibre I want".
Nuff said ?
Posted by individual, Thursday, 29 April 2021 4:06:52 PM
I taught my lady, & my 2 daughters to shoot. all three can take out a match box at 25 meters with the open sight 22. None of them have shown any interest in shooting since.

My son can not only take out a match box with the 22, but can do the same thing with my old 75Lb hunting bow. That takes a real steady eye. He was asked to join the navy rifle team, but declined when advised he would have to buy the training ammunition. Guns for us are a tool not an obsession.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 29 April 2021 11:05:07 PM
Gee Hassy,

You sound like the Clampett family, Ged, Granny, Elly May and Jethro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwzaxUF0k18&ab_channel=BlastFromTheePast
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 30 April 2021 7:11:25 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy