The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > 2021

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 18
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. All
What will 2021 be like? Probably like 2020 or worse if the political class keeps on the way it has this year. Now that they have seen how easily their "subjects" have accepted draconian lock downs and surveillance, we might never get back to what we have always considered to be normal. Powers and taxes. Once they get them in, they don't give them up. There's no indication that the China virus is going away, despite all the tyranny, and they have even announced a 'new strain', even more communicable than the old one. Even before there is a proven vaccine, they are threatening us with action if we don't submit to the needle. That the survival rate for those contracting the China virus is 99.85% doesn't get a mention.

And, the source of the China virus will be an increasing problem. When your biggest single trading partner is also the biggest threat to your security, there is not much to look forward to. And, of course, we still have the same sorts of fools in Canberra that we have always had, not to mention a docile population that really doesn't deserve the democracy it takes for granted, even as it is gradually being taken off them. It's a cliche, but Australians are just like the frog in the slowly boiling water.

Australia will continue to be ruled by decree, not by Parliament, as has been the case since the China virus first struck.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 31 December 2020 10:03:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ttbn: Why do you keep saying crap like this "That the survival rate for those contracting the China virus is 99.85% doesn't get a mention."

As has been told to you before by others and me the virus kills way, way more than that.

The following is a cut-and-paste repeat of a section of a previous comment from me to you about this. But this data below is now out of date since it is now worse at 0.2151%.

--

"Here are the numbers for the USA : http://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

If you locate the New Jersey entry you will see that is has already killed more than 0.1% (0.1851% actually) of the state's WHOLE POPULATION, not just those who've contracted the virus. And no-one anywhere that I've read has suggested that it is anywhere near herd immunity levels in NJ.

The current New Jersey number of 0.19% puts it in the same same league as the 2nd and 3rd worst flu* pandemics of modern times: the 1889-90 pandemic was 0.10 to 0.28% and the Asian flu of 1957-59 was <0.2%. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_pandemic). But remember, this virus can still potentially kill a hell of a lot more people in New Jersey before it reaches herd immunity or a vaccine is found so this number is just a minimum.
Posted by thinkabit, Thursday, 31 December 2020 12:23:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
China invades Australia.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Thursday, 31 December 2020 12:38:55 PM
thinkabit,

Why do you keep believing lies and crap?
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 31 December 2020 1:06:36 PM
ttbn:
Here's a link explaining how the web-site's statistics I gave is sourced and compiled: http://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/about/

Perhaps you could give us a link to the source of your data? (But I strongly suspect you can't because you just made it up.)
Posted by thinkabit, Thursday, 31 December 2020 1:55:53 PM
thinkverylittle,

One sentence, which frankly is irrelevant to what will happen in 2021, and you go off the deep end without any comment on what you think next year will be like. You have made no contribution whatever.

Mr. Opinion,

Probably not in 2021, if ever. We may very well be involved in an armed conflict with China; eg if they go for Taiwan: in which case America will have to to step in if it is the retain any credibility, and we will be expect to join in. I might be wrong, of course: Xi Jinping and the CCP are an unknowable bunch of lunatics.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 31 December 2020 2:07:56 PM
thinkverylittle,

I missed your second effort. You are clearly one of these people who sets about looking for material that suits your particular stance. We can all do that. There are all sorts of liars and lunatics on the internet and in the media. If you don't look past the usual bigmouths and do some serious reading, you will remain ignorant and gullible. No. I don't intend to give you any references. You are clearly not a reader, couldn't manage the material, and you wouldn't change you mind anyway. I'm still interested to see your take on next year, though.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 31 December 2020 2:17:01 PM
Dear thinkabit,

The deep aversion for the truth is certainly confounding, but unfortunately it is the new reality in a Trumpian world and one that will take a while to wash through. But this too will pass. The deep seated desire for authoritarianism and its easy answers is something which has always been there however it needs a full airing for people to see just how bereft it is.

The pendulum is swinging though and we will value sanity, truth and decency in a way that will let them flourish in our societies.

Better days ahead I'm sure of it.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 31 December 2020 2:47:18 PM
ttbn,

What you need to keep in mind re China and Taiwan is that they are still having a civil war (China stands to North Korea as Taiwan stands to South Korea) and I think that it is a civil war that the PRC will win once it makes the decision to invade Taiwan.

I think this will happen 2021 and I think China will neutralise Australia as a preliminary step. A bit like Japan's attack on America before launching its invasion of SE Asia and the western Pacific.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Thursday, 31 December 2020 3:22:14 PM
Dear Ttbn,

Most of us are going to have a wonderful year in 2021, the year of the vaccine, the year when our freedoms are going to be gradually returned, but since you are not interested in the jab, I will eagerly take your place in the queue!

I cannot wait and we cannot afford to wait any longer: many of my family and friends overseas have already been vaccinated or made an appointment to get the needle in the next few days - only here in Australia this ScoMo denies me the freedom to determine for myself what I put in my own body, caring not for our suffering because he values the prestige of his bureaucracy above our well-being, not to speak of personal freedoms. Never mind, he will yield because the reality of COVID will force him to. My estimate is that he will not be able to hold till March, so we will start vaccinating in early February.

Regarding the Chinese issue, it is wildly exaggerated.
Yes, trade with China is going to grind to a halt this year and diplomatic relations are also likely to be severed, but in all likelihood that will be about it. Economic hardship, yes, but no hot war is on the cards. Regional cooperation against the enemy will increase and America too under Biden will gradually emerge from it's paralysis and become more involved in the region.

We will be happier this coming year and after what we experienced, we will appreciate and guard our freedom even more.

I wish you and your family a blessed and healthy new year.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 31 December 2020 4:13:39 PM
Yuyutsu,

Are you aware that the China - Taiwan conflict is actually a civil war?

It is all about uniting the Chinese as a nation under a common system of governance.

The PRC will win the civil war and I think they might try it in 2021 while the rest of the world is still reeling from the impact of the pandemic.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Thursday, 31 December 2020 6:04:06 PM
Yuyutsu,

I did not say that I wasn’t “interested in the jab”. I’m a firm believer in vaccination - when it’s available, which it doesn’t look like being here any time soon. But, vaccination, and an end to the China virus does not necessarily mean an end to the removal of freedoms. In fact, it is the way we have tamely accepted strictures on our freedoms that has emboldened sinister so-called elites and politicians to try the Great Reset on us, with more losses of freedoms.

I think that your are very naive about the China, but time will tell. If you truly believe that you will be better off next year, good luck to you. You disagree with me, and that’s fine; unlike thinkabit and steelereduxe, who used irrelevant twaddle about “truth”, to show that, as they always do, their only interest is to put down people they don’t like. They have no interest in discussion.

On China, the latest news is that their own virus has increased steeply in the last few days. Medical staff are being silenced. And it is 12 months since the doctor who first alerted the world of the virus is claimed to have died of the virus. Additionally, China is experiencing unusually cold weather, with predictions of minus 40 degrees. Coal shortages, bans on heating homes. Not looking good for the temperament of the mad dogs of the CCP, whom I believe will cause a lot more trouble for us in 2021.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 31 December 2020 6:18:01 PM
In the past we have been told that vaccines take up to ten years to be tested for safety and efficacy. Now, in less than twelve months since the China virus appeared, we are expected to believe that vaccines are ready for use!

Not only have the social engineers taken away our freedoms, they have also deadened our common sense. In the past thirty years, the US government has compensated, to the tune of $4.5billion, people adversely affected by vaccines apparently properly tested. Now we are expected to believe that vaccines pushed out in an amazingly short time are ready to go, and 2021 will be all tickety boo.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 1 January 2021 7:39:44 AM
It was great to have six of the teenage grandchildren around for the New Year. Having a bit of a "forum" with the kids I was impressed with their positive attitude towards the future. The issues concerning my lot are, I think, typical of the concerns and hope of most young people in Australia. They spoke freely about religion, war, politics and the economic future as they see it. They have concerns about education, employment, housing, even children, etc, issues of racism and inequality in our society, are things they think about. Covid-19 of course got a run and the poor political reaction in the world, but they were thankful for the scientists for what they have done to save lives. The kids are generally optimistic about their future and are positive that the world can be a better place in the years to come.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 1 January 2021 7:59:37 AM
"Nothing will ever return to the ‘broken’ sense of normalcy that prevailed [earlier]. We … will be surprised by both the rapidity and unexpected nature of these changes – as they conflate with each other, they will provoke cascading effects and unforeseen outcomes”. (Klaus Schwab).

'Cascading effects and unforeseen outcomes' starting in 2021. Deny it if you will, but it's already happening. We are still chuntering on about the "free markets", but free markets haven't been in operation for a long time. Governments are subsidising and interfering all the time, paving the way for the Schwab gang and wealthy elites who have used engineered "emergencies" like climate change to increase their wealth while the rest of us go downhill. A "different economy" is what the future is being called. Big business is being "fused to government".

Don't waste your breath wishing anybody a happy new year. We haven't seen anything yet.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 1 January 2021 8:04:18 AM
1. Trump kicks off Campaign for Prez - 2024 Election.

2. Attempts to win NOBEL Peace Prize http://youtu.be/RREQR0cw0fU?t=48s
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 1 January 2021 8:15:14 AM
This headline - "Scott Morrison changes Australia's national anthem" - looks trivial, but sums up what is happening in Australia. We are moving away from parliamentary democracy to oligarchy, even a one-man band.

I don't give a damn about national anthems nor the words therein; but many people do, and any changes should be agreed by a majority of Australians, not one man. With a piss poor Opposition and our most arrogant Prime Minister yet, we will soon be ruled by his decrees, not by an elected parliament, on anything and everything, while we bury our heads in the sand.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 1 January 2021 8:28:18 AM
ttbn,

Shame on you! Whatever happened to that ANZAC spirit: One for all! And all for one!

Ooops .......... I think that might have been the Three Musketeers.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Friday, 1 January 2021 9:06:44 AM
Hi Hanrahan,

Well, we got through 2020. But to give you heart, maybe 2021 is going to be the Year of Doom and Ruin. So barely 364 days to go before The End :)

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Friday, 1 January 2021 9:29:24 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Here's one for the eco-freaks and supporters of useless masks and loss of freedoms due to the China virus, which seems to have cured the common 'flu: 1.5billion masks will enter our oceans this year.

China will certainly be starting off 2021 well. They have leaked the news that they made $10,240billion or two thirds of their GDP out of the virus they created. China watchers say that they are trying to demonstrate that some good can come out of disaster.

For those still obsessing over Trump, whether or not he is the most admired man in the US, he caused the Chinese a lot of angst when he cracked down on Wall Street influence over American politics. China has "a lot of friends" in Wall Street, and they are cock a hoop over Biden's shonky election because he is a good friend of Wall Street. The CCP and Wall Street will be able to resume their cosy relationship.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 1 January 2021 10:44:01 AM
Paul1405, great to see that your grandchildren are engaged in thinking about their futures. But may I suggest to them that the greatest issue for their generation will be the raise of AI and robotics.

This topic has been overshadowed by climate change/environmental discussions for the last decade and more so has not received much interest. But in the last few years some public commentators have been starting to seriously question it and are trying to raise its awareness. To me it seems as though it is going to be a serious issue soon. How soon? Well here's a clip that's been going viral in the last couple of days. It's produced by Boston Dynamics show casing their latest efforts in their robot techonogies- it's going to be very, very soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn3KWM1kuAw

I would like know what young folk, such as your grandchildren, think about this.
Posted by thinkabit, Friday, 1 January 2021 11:39:21 AM
Hi thinkabit,

My grandchildren aspire to a good education with the potential for worthwhile interesting employment, with the benefits that would bring. The futuristic robots are something of great interest, and robots already play a sizable roll in modern industry. BTW I noted the robots were dancing to a 50 year old tune. Hopefully future robots will be servants and not masters, as sometimes science fiction portrays them to be.

Its so good that we have so many forumites with such a positive outlook for the future, led by the crusty old fart brigade with their message of doom and gloom. These guys are always harking back to the good old days of 1950, where they belong!
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 1 January 2021 3:04:37 PM
Paul1405,

I wouldn't like to be one of the future generation come 2050.

World population will be at least 10 billion - double the sustainable population of the planet.

The planet will be hotter with frequent damaging droughts, floods and storms caused by unstoppable adverse climate change because effective action against anthropogenic global warming was left too late.

Some countries will no longer have an environment worthwhile talking about and people will be flooding across borders into countries that do.

Fresh water will be a premium (with some places paying exorbitant prices for drinking water).

There will be constant fears of worldwide famines, wars, and pandemics similar to the current one.

Think of the worst period of human history and multiply by 100.

I really pity the future generation.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Friday, 1 January 2021 3:41:38 PM
Dear Mr. Opinion,

I am well aware that the conflict between Taiwan and China BEGAN as a civil war, Taiwan being all that remains of the original China following the communist resurgence.

However, that was very long ago and Taiwan has long since given up all aspirations to regain the mainland and instead established itself as an independent country.

And please stop calling China "PRC" because the communist Chinese regime has nothing to do with the Chinese people. Using that term only aids CCP propaganda. Only Taiwan is its people's republic, but they are no longer Chinese.

And IF China attacks Taiwan, which is still a very big IF, then Taiwan will prevail, with the help of the USA under Biden. China's window of opportunity to call Trump a bluff, is quickly closing.

---

Dear Ttbn,

I can only urge you to take courage: The China-virus is at its last throes, the vaccines will beat it to the ground in the next few months, then Australia's emergency declaration will be lifted and our freedoms restored as before. Same about China, because Biden will not hesitate to use all his force, including nukes, should China attack Taiwan or Australia.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 1 January 2021 6:32:19 PM
Mr. Opinion,

Do you ever have the feeling that you are casting pearls before swine?
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 2 January 2021 8:44:56 AM
Ttbn,

To you, it may be pearls (after all, you assume that Trumpf talks sense), but I suspect that the Village Idiot is casting something else at every other OLO contributor from on top of his wall.

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Saturday, 2 January 2021 9:19:12 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mr O, in the continuing cycle of human development, tomorrows generation will be presented with problems, no less than the problems that the previous generation bequeathed to todays world. What you speak of are real, but not insurmountable problems, when those of progressive thinking and action set the minds and deeds to arresting such ills. I the forever optimists.

Unfortunately we will have to suffer the eternal pessimists, the do nothing, worst still, stuff it up conservatives of this world. This clueless bunch will hopefully one day be consigned to the dust bin of human uselessness, joining their folk hero, Dangerous Doctor Donald.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 2 January 2021 9:19:47 AM
ttbn,

When it comes to the likes of Foul-Mouth, shadyminister and members of The Forum's pro-China camp I think it might be more a matter of me feeding strawberries to pigs.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Saturday, 2 January 2021 9:35:05 AM
On the first day of the new year, even the AdMan conceded that the China virus is not going away, and border closures will continue. When the PM stops bullshiting and tells the truth, all those naifs thinking that everything is going to be fine look even more unrealistic. To paraphrase Game of Thrones, winter is coming. All we get from Morrison is, "I can understand the frustration". When even the NSW Police Minister recognises that we are a nation state "not a collection of states", there is not a lot to be said about the 'top man' in the country, who is going off on holiday again. He has been reminded by Labor that this is the second time he has slunk off in a crisis.

Jobkeeper and jobseeker payments were slashed as of the 1st. January. There will be no quicky vaccine. There is not one positive. Australia is rooted, not because of the China virus, but because of our greatest ongoing hazard, politicians, who are clearly not up to scratch - the ones who blew our island status away, and who are still letting people enter Australia while making life hard for everyone else.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 2 January 2021 9:36:54 AM
Meanwhile, in WuHan, revellers were packed like sardines celebrating the New Year, and bars, restaurants and businesses are going gang busters.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 2 January 2021 9:56:27 AM
ttbn,

I think Soot and Dazza's Gal are in a dilemma with all the Xmas-New Year outbreaks of the WuFlu because I think they are planning to bring in hundreds of thousands of international (particularly Chinese) students.

Now all the arrangements they have been putting in place with airlines, universities, hotels, etc. might be in total disarray.

Why do you think Soot and Dazza's Gal have always been against state border closures and criticising other states for doing so and why they have been so anxious about getting the international border open.

The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men ........
Posted by Mr Opinion, Saturday, 2 January 2021 10:07:55 AM
Happy New Year everyone!

My thoughts are positive concerning this year.
My husband is doing very well. He's been released
from hospital and has gone into rehabilitation which
everyone tells me is a very good sign. Thanks for all
your good wishes, kind words and concern. It helped.

Victoria has again imposed stronger safety measure.
Masks are now mandatory. Stricter restrictions will
follow - especially concerning visitors in hospital
and visiting the elderly. I've been covid tested - and
thankfully came up negative. It is scary. The waiting
period for the results is a bit unsettling.

Anyway, I feel we are lucky to be living in Australia.
Certainly our governments state and federal are not
perfect - but over all - our country is better than most.
And I am sure it will remain so.

I am looking towards 2021 - with hope!
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 2 January 2021 11:15:22 AM
Foxy ! Welcome back ! A lot of us have been barracking for you and your lucky husband ! OLO has been just that little bit boring without you :)

All the very best to you and your loved ones for 2021 ! Hopefully, it will be better than 2020 in every way !

Much love and good wishes,

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Saturday, 2 January 2021 11:33:02 AM
Dear Joe,

Thank You.

I hope that this New Year will be a good one for us all.
Apparently in my husband's case it was an accident
waiting to happen. None of us knew he had a degeneration
of his spine - a pre-existing condition. He's now had three
operations and has come out of it well. He's now in
a rehabilitation hospital - which is amazing.

As I said previously - I am so positive about living in
Australia. The doctors and hospital staff, paramedics,
have all been amazing. Graham Young has been wonderful.
So supportive, helpful and understanding.

I am glad to be back. I need this diversion of OLO.
To keep my mind involved in other matters rather than
dwelling on negatives. Staying positive helps.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 2 January 2021 12:12:12 PM
Welcome back Foxy, your input to the Forum has been sorely missed. Hope all goes well for You, Hubby and all the Family in 2021. A belated Marry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

P/s; Can't stress how important rehab is for a full recovery
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 2 January 2021 2:10:44 PM
Dear Paul,

Thank You and Happy New Year to you and yours.

My husband will be in rehab for at least another several weeks,
possibly a month. I feel happy that he's in good hands.
Having private health cover has certainly helped us.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 2 January 2021 2:15:51 PM
Mr Opinion- Yes Steinbeck is often relevant- though he was a bit of a lefty and associated with radicals, and joined the Communist League of American Writers, he also supported traditional values. In Charlie's War (Charlie Wilson also a lefty) they talk of 'the boy and the zen master'- we'll see... but he brought down Russian Communism.
Posted by Canem Malum, Saturday, 2 January 2021 2:33:29 PM
Dear Foxy,

Great to see you back on the forum. Always good to have another keeping the bastards honest, now more than ever it seems.

Dear Canem Malum,

It wasn't the Communist League of American Writers now was it. Rather simply the League of American Writers. It was certainly spawned by the Communist Party. I think it is a real struggle to definitively label Steinbeck a fully fledged Communist in any case.

However as a writer who was deeply involved in the depression era and the dustbowl his opinion of the operation of capitalist financial systems along with the greed and corruption of the time would have swung many thinkers of the time to the left.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Saturday, 2 January 2021 9:15:32 PM
One thing we can be sure of is that 2021 will forever be the twentieth year of this Millenium, probably be a worse year for Wuhan Flu but we won't know for 12 months (hopefully).
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 2 January 2021 10:33:08 PM
"... probably be a worse year for Wuhan Flu....".

Nothing probable about it east of the Great Dividing Range. Those of us on this side, plus Tasmania, are doing OK.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 3 January 2021 7:11:32 AM
Oh, and no vaccine until March at least, according to AdMan.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 3 January 2021 7:54:44 AM
ttbn,

The scuttlebutt I have is that the longer we wait before rolling out the vaccine the better so that we can see if there are adverse side effects that the testing phase couldn't detect.

Not much use getting it now to find two days after that tens of thousands in the UK start dropping like flies from some unexpected side effect.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 3 January 2021 8:07:36 AM
ttbn,

"Nothing probable about it east of the Great Dividing Range. Those of us on this side, plus Tasmania, are doing OK"

How do you know?

The year is only three days old and 'probable' is an appropriate word.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 3 January 2021 8:20:22 AM
Dear Steele,

Thank You for the "welcome back".
We're living in difficult, complex times.
All we can do is try to stay safe and help each
other. I like the Prime Minister's attempts at
unification. It's a worthwhile goal to aim for.

I have no objection to the words - "one and free"
being part of our National Anthem. Although I'm
sure that someone could come up with something
more appropriate - like:

"Australians all let us rejoice
Let us share our history
We've golden soil and wealth for toil
Our home is girt by sea

Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare
In history's page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia Fair".
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 3 January 2021 8:49:21 AM
Is Mise,

When was the first year of this millenium ?

So, twenty years later, this is the twenty-first year of the millenium ?

Happy New Year !

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Sunday, 3 January 2021 9:05:00 AM
Dear Steele,

I've been doing some reading about the minor changes made to
our National Anthem. It's a good way to start 2021.
I've found the words - Australians all let us rejoice
In peace and harmony..." very appropriate.

What do you think?
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 3 January 2021 9:34:02 AM
Hi Foxy,

Sounds good to me :)

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Sunday, 3 January 2021 10:03:51 AM
Is Mise

Yes. "The year is only three days old ....." And look what's happening already. No vaccine (even if there is a good one) until March; then there's Winter. You and I could have both popped our clogs by then.

People seem to be clinging to the 'positive thinking' childishness to avoid reality. The China virus will eventually peter out, but it won't be anytime soon. Everything that the headless chooks have done has failed - lockdowns, masks, social distancing, the wrecking of the economy - nothing has worked.

The only reasons that Australia has done retalitively well are luck, geography and climate. We would have done better if "experts" hadn't advised the rubbish politicians that it wasn't necessary to ban all Chinese entry immediately at the outbreak. The stupidity is all documented. The bloody fools are still allowing people to come in from overseas. They are frantically looking for ways to bring in Chinese students!
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 3 January 2021 10:26:59 AM
Hi Hanrahan,

Always a laugh a minute :) Is there any conspiracy theory that you don't like ?

Why would any government be " .... frantically looking for ways to bring in Chinese students...." ? Because they're mindless, utter bastards ? Any evidence of all this ? Or do you mean foreign students in general ?

Or is just anything which fits in with the 'End of Days' scenario ? We're all doomed ?

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Sunday, 3 January 2021 10:50:32 AM
Foul-Mouth,

Australian universities have become just as much migrant processing centres as they are places of higher education.

Everyone is aware that a degree for an international student is just a step towards the real aim of getting a permanent residency visa.

It's a wonder the top universities haven't already been sold to the Chinese. Or have they?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 3 January 2021 11:30:57 AM
I can't think of any more disgusting political grandstanding than the garbage of changing young to one.

The PM goes down another notch for such "B" grade rubbish trying to buy the woke crowd.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 3 January 2021 12:15:05 PM
When in 1984 Bob Hawke asked the Governor General to proclaim our national anthem the original line of “To make our youthful Commonwealth” was replaced with “To make this Commonwealth of ours”.

Now we have replace the word young with one.

But according to the likes of Hasbeen we are going to hell in a handbasket because of it.

What absolute tosh.

If the changing of a word means those of our indigenous brother and sisters will be better able to embrace it then there is absolutely no skin off my nose nor I suspect any off that of most normal Australians.

Get over it and get on with your lives.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Sunday, 3 January 2021 12:30:25 PM
A "fair go" is an important part of Australian identity
and culture. Or at least that's what we were taught.
So although changing a few words to our National Anthem
is a step in the right direction. It's only a beginning.
Equal access to health, education, legal representation
and other resources that society has to offer is also
important.

We can change a few words in the Anthem and that's all well
and good on the surface and at face value. But real change
comes with making the long-term decisions that will affect
having a fair society and high standards of living for
the marginalised groups such as our indigenous people,
migrants, people with disabilities, and so on to make sure
that they also get an equal slice of the pie.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 3 January 2021 1:00:00 PM
Hiya Trumpsters and fine Centrist OLO commenters. Here are two 2021 issues for you.

1. IN 2021 TRUMP THREATENS GEORGIA ELECTION OFFICIAL TO CHANGE RESULTS

Here's Trump ON AUDIO at http://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-04/donald-trump-pushes-georgia-election-official-to-change-results/13029140

trying to pervert the 3rd Nov Election result in Georgia by THREATENING

an Election Official.

2. CONGRESS TO VOTE (7 Jan Our Time) ON ELECTORAL COLLEGE DECISION

Reported 1st Jan 2021, http://nypost.com/2021/01/01/140-republicans-expected-to-back-trumps-electoral-college-challenge/

"At least 140 Republicans in Congress are expected to support President Trump’s bid to overturn the results of the Electoral College next week.

The Jan. 6 [US time] vote is likely to fail and divide Republicans as President-elect Joe Biden prepares to take office Jan. 20.

...Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) strongly discouraged [Republican] colleagues from objecting [to the Electoral College decision], saying it would be a “terrible” vote for Republicans because some would oppose Trump."
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 4 January 2021 9:30:49 AM
I heard some of the taped conversation.

Trump sounded like he had been drinking heavily.

Nothing worse than an angry drunk!
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 4 January 2021 9:44:29 AM
Dear plantagenet,

The recording is quite extraordinary isn't it. Hardly unexpected with this particular president of course but who would have thought this of the leader a country which is so protective of its democracy.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 4 January 2021 10:04:43 AM
SteeleRedux,

And has a long checkered history of prohibition.

Nothing worse than a pisspot president.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 4 January 2021 10:12:33 AM
Talk about 2021.

Who would have guessed something like this would happen:

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/asio-red-flags-liberal-party-donor-huifeng-haha-liu-over-foreign-interference-risks/ar-BB1cqO3L

Mr Opinion, that's who!

I TOLD YOU SO.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 4 January 2021 10:25:03 AM
Mr. Opinion,

Trump is a teetotaller. We teetotallers still get angry, but it's not based on Dutch courage as per boozers. Most boozers have to be tanked up to say boo to the proverbial goose.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 4 January 2021 11:12:56 AM
In fact, Trump has candidly said that not drinking alcohol is one of his few good traits. His brother Fred died of the stuff. Those Trump-haters who say that they have seen Trump a dark liquid at official toasts should be aware that the liquid is diet Coke.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 4 January 2021 11:19:23 AM
ttbn,

Then why does he slur his speech in the tape?

Maybe he had an undetected stroke.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 4 January 2021 11:45:56 AM
Dear Mr O,

Injury to vocal cords, muscles of the face, tongue, nerves, or
the brain, can cause slurred speech. It is a well known
fact that the former US President does not drink alcohol.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 4 January 2021 12:24:49 PM
Maybe he took up drinking because he lost the election.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 4 January 2021 12:44:54 PM
Dear Mr O,

And your point is?
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 4 January 2021 12:56:03 PM
Foxy,
Could it be concussion?

> It is a well known fact that the former US President does not drink alcohol.
The former US President does drink alcohol.
The lame duck US President does not.
Nor does the President Elect.
Posted by Aidan, Monday, 4 January 2021 1:10:08 PM
Dear Aidan,

The former US President and the President-elect
have one thig in common - sobriety.

There's plenty on the web. New York Times,
Washington Post, et cetera. Check it out.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 4 January 2021 1:27:04 PM
Most esteemed MOpy

It is well known Herr Trump drinks coke, while SNIFFING COKE.

See THE Expert's opinion http://youtu.be/NRkUJhOPSlg
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 4 January 2021 1:47:36 PM
Mr. Opinion,

I have no idea why his speech sounded slurred, and I didn't hear it. Technical problems? Who knows? But it certainly wasn't booze, which he definitely does not touch. I believe that Biden is also a non-drinker, so that's something in his favour. Can't say the same for Morrison, who appears to like being seen at the rugby sucking on beer. I don't want to sound like a wowser, but I feel that there is something to be said for a leader who is not going to be half wacked when he makes decisions. Even the champion boozer, Bob Hawke managed without the drug while he was PM.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 4 January 2021 1:50:19 PM
Well done MOpy

for spotting today's report:

"ASIO red-flags Liberal Party donor Huifeng 'Haha' Liu over foreign interference risks" at:

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/asio-red-flags-liberal-party-donor-huifeng-haha-liu-over-foreign-interference-risks/ar-BB1cqO3L

"A Melbourne-based Chinese businessman who has aligned himself to prominent Liberal Party MPs is facing deportation after being assessed by ASIO as a national security risk, an ABC investigation can reveal.

The businessman, Huifeng "Haha" Liu, is a Liberal Party donor and former soldier in China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) who developed links with federal Liberal MP Gladys Liu [no relation] and [Federal Government] Assistant Treasurer Michael Sukkar..."

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 4 January 2021 1:59:18 PM
Mr. Opinion,

An old Balkan lady known as Grandma Vanga made some predictions that actually happened, from the death of Princess Di, to a pandemic let loose by China. She also said, before she died, that the world will be taken over by a large dragon in 2021. A bit Chinesy, don’t you think? Granny V wouldn't be a relative of yours, would she?
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 4 January 2021 2:27:25 PM
ttbn,

And a Chinese businesswoman in Sydney was caught saying "Aren't the Australians dumb!"
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 4 January 2021 2:36:32 PM
plantagenet,

And the good thing is that I get to say "I TOLD YOU SO".
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 4 January 2021 2:38:33 PM
Dear Mr O,

Those comments are not realistic.

Australia is dependent on China but China is also
dependent on Australia. Australia supplies China with
iron ore, coal, thermal coal. It is not in China's interests
to weaponise trade against Australiaand it would be not in its
interests to do so. In fact it would certainly be dumb.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 4 January 2021 2:50:11 PM
Dear Foxy,

Australia is not dependent on China - it's only money and it's about time that we stop trading with the enemy even if it makes us somewhat poorer.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 4 January 2021 3:20:11 PM
Yuyutsu,

Foxy is in the pro-China camp so you're wasting your breath trying to convince her that we should disassociate ourselves from China.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 4 January 2021 3:25:06 PM
Yuyutsu,
There are many people who want Australia and China to treat each other as enemies. President Xi appears to be one. Mr 0 is another, and seems to have a lot of supporters here. But up until now you didn't seem to be among their number. So why the apparent change of heart?
Posted by Aidan, Monday, 4 January 2021 3:40:30 PM
Dear Yuyutsu,

Money performs several functions. It is used
as a medium of exchange and as a means of payment for
goods and services. If you can do without it - good
for you. Most of us can't.

Dear Mr O,

To clarify, I am not pro China.
I am pro Australia.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 4 January 2021 4:05:09 PM
Mr Opinion

Re your "I TOLD YOU SO".
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 4 January 2021 2:38:33 PM

Take praise with dignity, when it is offered, rather than conceit.

Otherwise you might be thrust into the dark world of "trump's tiny brown nob"

and I don't mean Melania, once a year, when she's tipsy.

Worse! I mean you'll be placed into the dark world alongside ttbn! (hence "trump's tiny brown nob") for eternity.

In 2008 I was telling China sycophants, including Dear Mr "I can speak Mandarin" Rudd,

that China was THE threat. Note:

"Embracing China involves risks for Australia" of 5/05/2008 http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=7324

"China could well be a problem for Australia" of
4/08/2008 http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=7724

and

"The fall of Fitzgibbon?" 31/03/2009 http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=8745

And thats just for starters.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 4 January 2021 4:06:47 PM
Dear Pete,

The following may be of interest:

http://ada.ash.au/commentary/formal-co0mment/2016/vale-michael-james-occonnor,-am,-1938-2017.html
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 4 January 2021 4:29:26 PM
Yuyutsu,

I agree. We wouldn't be under the threat we are now but for the love of money and the greed of people who already have much more of it than they need.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 4 January 2021 4:39:38 PM
Dear Pete,

My apologies for the typo in the previous link.
Here it is again:

http://www.ada.asn.au/commentary/formal-comment/2016/vale-michael-james-oconnor,-am,-1938-2017.html

And this may be of interest as well:

http://www.quadrant.org.au/opinion/qed/2017/12/vale-michael-oconnor-1938-2017/

Michael's boys babysat my young children. We were neighbours at
one time. He was a lovely man.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 4 January 2021 5:01:15 PM
cont'd ...

Dear Pete,

I thought that you may have known Michael - considering
your interest in Australia's defence and international affairs.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 4 January 2021 5:11:12 PM
Hi Foxy

Thanks for those links recording the fruitful life and sad passing of Michael O'Connor. He was about a generation ahead of me, so I can't say I knew him.

Michael handed over the running of the Australia Defence Association (ADA) to Neil James who was an OLO author http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/author.asp?id=4095 and OLO commenter in the 2000s/naughties. Neil seemed interested in me helping at the ADA which is still going http://www.ada.asn.au/about-us/board-of-directors/speaker-biography.htm .

But I went my own way starting "Submarine Matters" http://gentleseas.blogspot.com/ which is also still going - foreign "info" collection and analysis.

http://www.ada.asn.au/commentary/formal-comment/2016/vale-michael-james-oconnor,-am,-1938-2017.html you've kindly provided mentions T.B. Millar and Bob O’Neill.

T.B. Millar taught me foreign policy at ANU and helped introduce me to the foreign policy apparatus. Bob O’Neill was a close neighbour in Canberra.

Also mentioned, Kim Beazley, was a boss as Minister and friend of Mum and Dad in Canberra, Washington and I think Perth.

Foxy, its sad we are of an age (I'm almost 60) that so many people we know (or know of) are dying.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 4 January 2021 6:21:58 PM
Another 2021 event:

ASSANGE’S EXTRADITION to the US REJECTED BY UK COURT over mental health fears

See 4 Jan 2021 article at http://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-04/julian-assange-wont-be-extradited-to-the-us-uk-court-rules/13030240

"US authorities have accused the 49-year-old WikiLeaks founder of conspiring to hack government computers and of violating an espionage law in connection with the release of confidential cables by WikiLeaks in 2010-2011.

In her ruling, [London] Judge Vanessa Baraitser rejected nearly all of the arguments put forward by Assange's lawyers, including that the charges were politically motivated and that he would not receive a fair trial in the US.

However, Judge Baraitser refused the request on the basis of Assange's mental condition and risk of suicide.

Assange, she said, lived with at times severe depression and had been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome and autism.

...US government prosecutors have indicated they will appeal against the ruling in London's High Court, which could see the case go further to the UK's Supreme Court and delay an outcome for some time.

Assange's lawyer, Edward Fitzgerald QC, said he would apply for bail for his client on Wednesday (local time), pending that appeal.

Assange has been in custody since April 2019, when he was arrested inside the Ecuadorian embassy in London and eventually jailed for breaching bail conditions, before the US Justice Department formally asked for his extradition in June 2019."
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 5 January 2021 12:07:02 AM
Dear Aidan,

That China is our enemy is not my choice, but a matter of fact,
well unless we capitulate and accept their atrocities and evil ambitions.
There was this Chamberlain guy who did not like the idea that Hitler was an enemy: the similarities between Xi and Hitler are striking.

---

Dear Foxy,

No one in this context was suggesting to do without money, only to have somewhat less of it, as a reasonable price that is needed in order to maintain our values, morality and integrity.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 5 January 2021 12:11:55 AM
For 2021, New York State has introduced a bill that, if legislated, will authorise detention centres for anyone who is deemed to be “potentially dangerous to the public health.” The state would be able to remove anyone from society whom they deem to be a risk to public health. The thin edge of a wedge that could also lead to people who say the 'wrong' thing being locked up as mental defectives as happens now in China and other totalitarian administrations.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 5 January 2021 8:33:54 AM
Yuyutsu,
> That China is our enemy is not my choice, but a matter of fact,

Wrong.
Even if President Xi is as evil as you say, treating the entire nation as our enemy will only entrench his power, especially if the provocation for doing so is something trivial.

Wouldn't it be both easier and more effective to concentrate on making President Xi lose face, while trying to be as friendly as possible to the people of China?
Posted by Aidan, Tuesday, 5 January 2021 9:33:47 AM
Foxy,
You misunderstood my post. I know Trump and Biden have that in common, and indeed I said so.
But Trump is NOT the former president yet. Though he's in his lame duck phase, he's still president for a few more days.

As for changing our anthem further, if we include a reference to history in the second line then we should find something else to replace "In history's page let every stage Advance Australia fair" - particularly as many historical stages were objectively detrimental to Australia's advancement, and unfair!

ttbn,
Your "thin end of the wedge" argument ignores two things: the constitution and will of the people. You seem to have trouble grasping that the people will accept temporary curbs on their freedom when they bring substantial tangible benefits for all, but not when they won't.
Posted by Aidan, Tuesday, 5 January 2021 9:54:28 AM
Lockdowns are an easy way to separate people so that they cannot organise. They allow governments to easily keep an eye on people under the guise of protecting them. The closing down of small businesses that are deemed "non-essential" allows Amazon etc to take over the markets. The profits of Big Business and Big Tech have soared during the China virus-induced panic. The wealth of the middle-class is being shifted to the already fabulously wealthy few. The China virus is being used to facilitate the replacement of democracy with technocracy, and the introduction of virtual slavery of the masses. The Great Reset will be the main danger for us in 2021.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 5 January 2021 10:16:50 AM
There is an article in yesterday's The Australian

Wuhan lab leaked virus: US
There is now strong evidence Covid leaked from a Chinese biological weapons research laboratory rather than developing in a wet market, says a senior US official.

I saw it on the web earlier but can't find the full version again.

The scuttlebutt I has some time ago was that it is an engineered virus. Something to do with the way it mutates.

Probably explains why the Chinese are not anxious to have it investigated and keep trying to shift the blame elsewhere.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Tuesday, 5 January 2021 10:25:00 AM
Not everyone wants to know what is really going on. Some people want to stay in alignment with the people around them. Some want to please the people who they believe can help them get something or somewhere. Often, that requires embracing cultural mythologies and official stories of events.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 5 January 2021 10:39:14 AM
ttbn,

What is a cultural mythology?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Tuesday, 5 January 2021 11:05:21 AM
Found it:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/world/the-times/biological-weapons-lab-leaked-virus-claims-us/news-story/9246790b33c4e62b89292e0ad6b411cb
Posted by Mr Opinion, Tuesday, 5 January 2021 11:37:35 AM
Mr. Opinion,

Myths about culture. Probably should be 'lies' rather than myths.

The Australian is behind the times. I posted on the germ warfare aspect of the China virus months ago. It's working against us and the rest of the West pretty well. No need for boots on the ground invasions
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 5 January 2021 12:20:36 PM
The SENATORS from GEORGIA RUNOFF ELECTION Weds 6th Jan (our time) is another major 2021 event

that will determine whether Republicans or Democrats hold the majority in the US (Federal) Senate.

Polls suggest the vote will be extremely close - see http://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/03/politics/georgia-senate-runoffs-analysis/index.html

Trump's phone call 2 days ago trying to PERVERT Election Law attempting to force Georgian officials

to INVENT extra votes to win Georgia in the Presidential Election - won't help the Republican

Senatorial candidates.

See http://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-04/donald-trump-pushes-georgia-election-official-to-change-results/13029140
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 5 January 2021 4:40:32 PM
Dear Aidan,

Excellent observation, if only you could provide a practical path to separate between the Chinese regime and the Chinese people.

«Even if President Xi is as evil as you say, treating the entire nation as our enemy will only entrench his power, especially if the provocation for doing so is something trivial.»

Everyone who supports his regime should be treated as enemy.
I have nothing against Chinese as such, but it just so happens that most who support that regime are Chinese. Also, this is not about some recent provocation and we should have never traded with that regime to begin with: nothing is trivial about its horrific atrocities, which have been ongoing for decades.

«Wouldn't it be both easier and more effective to concentrate on making President Xi lose face, while trying to be as friendly as possible to the people of China?»

I would concentrate not only on Xi himself, but on his whole CCP regime. Your idea has many merits and I would definitely like to be friendly with the other people of China, if only you could tell me how to do so without helping the regime: the steel we export is also incorporated into the Chinese war machine and the money they receive from our imports make the people of China more tolerant of their regime.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 5 January 2021 9:38:16 PM
This biological weapon hypothesis was always a suspicion I guess. Anyway we'll find out more- if the governments release it.

Writing on the wall .
Posted by Canem Malum, Tuesday, 5 January 2021 10:39:59 PM
Yuyutsu,

Of course you don't like Xi. You're from Taiwan and the last thing you want is for the PRC to win the 100 year old Chinese Civil War.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 9:24:10 AM
While China has a lot to answer for, don't overlook the enemy within that is doing its best to make 2021 even more miserable than 2020. Politicians, public servants, "experts", Aboriginal and Leftist activists. There's quite a long list.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 1:07:16 PM
ttbn,

You didn't include all those other multiculturals especially the non-Australian-Chinese and the un-Australian-Chinese better known affectionately as those larrikin Aussies.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 1:33:06 PM
Mr. Opinion,

Ah, yes. The multi-cultis; but, here again it's not just the Chinese. We have people and their descendants who came here in the great post WW2 immigration surge still thinking of themselves, and calling themselves Italians, Germans, Greeks, Balts and Slavs. As I said: there's quite a long list. Some from the British Isles who arrived in the 20th Century have a similar attitude as well. The reluctance to be just Australian has been worse since the official policy of multiculturalism was enforced
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 4:47:34 PM
ttbn,

I don't have a problem with the others. They don't pose a threat to the happiness and enjoyment of my life.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 5:07:02 PM
Dear Mr O,

Italians, Greeks, Balts, et cetera who came here after
WWII - are now few remaining. Many have died or are now
in aged care.

Their children and grand-children,
are Australian. After all we are all immigrants or
descendants of immigrants - some earlier than others -
but all with an experience of immigration.

Britain - what a mixture of people the Brits are.
The days of pedigree claims are long gone.
It's what's in one's heart that matters.

There were many so called patriots who proclaimed their loyalty
to their country during the war, yet sold out when it mattered.

Nobody can afford to get too precious about their position
or entitlements in this country because we know that
position and entitlements are comparatively new. And Australia's
immigration experience is also a broad one.

And all these immigrant communities have made successful
contributions to Australian life. When I was in hospital -
there were nurses looking after patients from a variety
of ancestries - all doing a wonderful job.
Whether we like to admit it or not. Australia
is a multicultural country.
People come from many lands here to make a life
for themselves.

All we have to do is look at Australia's history
and what a cultural backwater it once was.
Not any more.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 5:37:52 PM
Foxy,

If you're happy to inundate the country with non-Australian Chinese then just go ahead and open the floodgates.

But don't say I DID NOT TELL YOU SO because I TOLD YOU SO.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 5:43:35 PM
Dear Mr O,

There are certain criteria that the
Immigration Department has set which
requires migrants to satisfy.
It's not easy to get into Australia.

I doubt if there are, or will be any
"floodgates" that you speak of.
The government decides who can or can't come
into this country.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 5:57:43 PM
Foxy,

It's easy to get into Australia and even easier to stay here.

I know of one big floodgate: the Australian higher education system, where a degree is just a pathway to a permanent residency visa.

They don't come for the education, they come for the visa.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 6:05:42 PM
Dear Mr O,

You obviously know more than I do about China.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 6:08:09 PM
Foxy,

I'm a sociologist. So there's not much that slips past my attention.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 6:22:21 PM
Dear Mr O,

The word " sociology" comes from the Latin word
socius ( companion) and the Greek word logos
( speech or reason) which when put together mean -
"reasoned speech about companionship".
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 6:40:47 PM
Migrants do not come here to 'contribute' anything; they come for better life for themselves. Like anyone else, they work and pay taxes. There is nothing exemplary or outstanding about that. To hear some people you would think that we would go under without these Johny-come-latelies, who have all come here a long time after everything had been set up for them by mainly Anglo-Saxon-Celts. There was a time when immigrants were needed, but the ones coming here now are merely adding to the bank balances of rich, greedy people, and detracting from the well being of people already here through lower wages, degradation of the environment and terrific strain on infrastructures that the loony 'Big Australia' politicians don't improve.

Any developed country like Australia that still indulges in mass immigration and actually encourages the absurdity of multiculturalism is a lunatic asylum, with lunatics in charge of it.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 6:42:44 PM
Foxy,

And here I was thinking it is the scientific study of society.

How did I get it so wrong?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 6:43:28 PM
I suspect foreign entities individually or in cooperation with other nations that want to influence Australia could implement a coup by "branch stacking the professions" by sponsoring foreign born individuals in their personal development.

There seems to be a lot of black money floating around China and India and other places- it seems the Australian Bureaucracy Institutions turn a blind eye to this black money- but it probably distorts the world in several forms. It's been said that tax is sort of voluntary in India- not sure how much that is true.

If it is true how much of this black money is distorting Australia's property and other markets. How is it taking money from Indian services to keep the people in India poor to fund harm to the Australian people. Sounds like a great "self reinforcing system of perpetual suffering".

http://www.firstpost.com/world/black-money-how-600-bn-moved-out-of-china-503954.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_black_money

Governments often use black money as an excuse for a tyrannical power grab over everyone.
Posted by Canem Malum, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 6:52:52 PM
Dear Mr O,

We can't all be right.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 6:53:54 PM
Dear Canem Malum,

Again - more food for thought.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 6 January 2021 6:58:01 PM
The human race peaked in 1984.

Then computers, internet and globalism brought us where we are today.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 9 January 2021 9:12:28 PM
Armchair Critic,

Human population did not peak in the mid 1980s.

It reached 5.6 billion, which is deemed to be the sustainable human population for the planet.

In the 40 years since it has risen to 7.8 billion (a 40% increase) and is still increasing.

Definitely doesn't look like a peak in population occurring in the mid 1980s.

Where did you study maths?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 10 January 2021 6:32:20 AM
Mr Opinion- With the greatest of respect Armchair Critic didn't say Human Population peaked- he said the Human Race peaked. Subtle difference. Sorry for pointing it out.
Posted by Canem Malum, Sunday, 10 January 2021 11:50:30 AM
Canem Malum,

It's the same thing. Human population = Human race.

Armchair Critic is talking about numbers.

Saying the human race peaked doesn't make sense unless one is referring to the number of humans. It can only mean one thing.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 10 January 2021 12:48:31 PM
Misop, poor child,

Well, no: 'peak' can mean in technological development; health; levels of income; average educational level; life expectancy.

Not to mention: a 'peak' in users of Dungeons and Dragons; a peak in viewers of The bloody Sound of Music or 550 Shades of Grey; the use of library books; the purchase of petrol-driven cars; the building of McMansions; my admirers - no, that last one, it never peaks, at least not yet.

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Sunday, 10 January 2021 1:14:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 18
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy