The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Corruption in Politics

Corruption in Politics

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. All
Just when it might have been thought that the days of Labor's Eddie Obeid and corruption had been left behind in NSW, up pops the former Liberal MP Daryl Maguire. It seems from his own testimony before the NSW ICAC Maguire has well and truly had his fingers in the pie. Maguire has admitted before the commission he accepted "thousands of dollars" as part of a cash-for-visa scheme, often being given the cash in his parliamentary office. To make matters worse Maguire's long standing secret girlfriend, the NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has been drawn into scandal, serving a no confidence vote in the parliament yesterday. This shows that an ICAC is far from redundant, and its function is needed more than ever.

Most states and territories have some form of corruption watchdog, the glaring exception is in the Federal sphere where there is no such independent organisation to investigate allegations of political corruption. Labor and the minor parties are on side with a federal ICAC, yet the Coalition is opposed, one can only speculate as to the reasons why.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 15 October 2020 6:49:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul I hope you continue to speculate.
Posted by Josephus, Friday, 16 October 2020 7:52:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In general terms, there will be dodgy opportunists that will be present in all political parties, as there are in all walks of life.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Friday, 16 October 2020 8:47:27 AM
I don't trust any of them.

By my reckoning politicians, bureaucrats and business people as a group are dishonest and untrustworthy.

It's easy to see why lawyers are drawn to these areas.

They're all tarred with the same brush.

My wife's motto for this world: Look after yourself and forget the rest.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Friday, 16 October 2020 9:15:53 AM
Mr O,

Can you do the maths for me; A jumbo jet full of Chinese visa applicants x $20,000 = How many secret dinners for Daryl, Gladys and a couple of property developers at The Swanky Posh Restaurant? Remember lobster is defiantly on the menu, so is magnums of Bollinger, if that helps with your calculations.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 16 October 2020 9:50:45 AM
No woman deserves to have her private life politicised.
This is not the first time a woman has "stuffed up" over
a bloke. Unless the premier is charged with an offence
more serious than a poor choice of partners she is
undeserving of the political hysterical treatment being
meted out by all.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 16 October 2020 9:57:49 AM
Paul1405,

I started feeding all that info into my computer to do the math but when I added a bottle of Penfolds Grange Hermitage to the equation it was all too much for my poor old computer to handle and it blew up in my face.

Now I'm in a fix because I've lost all of the emails on the computer from my Chinese clients wanting advise on getting permanent residency visas.

And worse still I've lost all their cash transaction records which means I've done all that honest and trustworthy consulting work for nothing.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Friday, 16 October 2020 10:18:52 AM
Foxy,

It doesn't matter if the culprit is male or female.

If politicians are not being honest and transparent then they should be in an occupation better suited to them - such as a lawyer.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Friday, 16 October 2020 10:23:50 AM
Foxy says: "No woman deserves to have her private life politicised."

In general this is true (not just for woman but everyone), with the exception of those in either of two occupations: Politicians and Judges.

The reason why politicians in a democracy do not have any right to privacy nor protection from criticism is because they have the unique job of creating the Law. And it is the Law, in a democracy, which encapsulates by stating that some act is illegal weather society deems that act to be right/wrong, moral/immoral, etc. Thus the populace needs to be able to know everything about the person that they vote for so that they can decide whether the candidate and the life-style they lead and their values aligns with the those that they the voters want in someone that represents them. So every single detail of a politician's life should be available for public scrutiny so that public can make informed decisions when they vote.

For similar reasons, it is necessary for the the lives and lifestyles of Judges to be public knowledge since they interpret the law. (And these day through inventive interpretation effectively create the new law).
Posted by thinkabit, Friday, 16 October 2020 10:58:40 AM
thinkabit,

I totally agree with your line of thinking.

It is paramount in our State-Society relationship that those in authority be held accountable for their actions because they are the people who are sanctioned to exercise violence against the community. This is a very awesome power to wield and should be held in check.

Foxy wouldn't agree because it is a woman who is now under scrutiny and even worse it is a woman in a relationship with a man who is in a relationship with the Chinese.

Foxy is not only standing up for feminism but she is also standing up for the pro-China camp so her view on this subject is totally biased.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Friday, 16 October 2020 11:09:30 AM
Mr O,

Stop beating the tired China drum.

Nobody is promoting China nor buying into what you're selling.
Please stop involving me in your songbook.

As for the NSW Premier? Unless she's charged with an
offence - lay off!

BTW: This has nothing to do with feminism. The lady should
be judged on her merit not her gender.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 16 October 2020 11:25:35 AM
Foxy,

I think the Maguire-Berejiklien drama being played out for the world to see is an example of just how far China's tentacles have reached into Australia.

I think it is wake up call to all of us. Stop denying the reality of what has been going on during the Great Asianization Period (1980-2020) in Australian history.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Friday, 16 October 2020 12:22:09 PM
dodgy opportunists that will be present in all political parties, as there are in all walks of life.
Chris Lewis,
Spot-on ! As I have stated many times here, I have found the average Joe Blow exploiting the tiniest loopholes to the fullest at Tax time.
We could prevent perpetual massive losses if we had a Flat tax or a proper transaction Tax !
Negative Gearing is probably the most insidious of all !
Posted by individual, Friday, 16 October 2020 12:44:38 PM
pseudo-individual,

There you go again talking as if nobody can understand a word you are saying.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Friday, 16 October 2020 1:02:54 PM
Mr O,

Still banging on...
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 16 October 2020 2:25:49 PM
Corruption has been passed on in human nature since Adam. There was only ever One who was not corrupt and it ain't Donald Trump (just for Joe). It has been evident in every Political party and religious system on earth. It is now obvious how a rather decent woman like Gladys would do such a filthy deal in passing barbaric baby killing laws in NSW not long back. Yep dare not trust in even the sweetest frame but Christ alone.
Posted by runner, Friday, 16 October 2020 3:04:04 PM
Foxy,

I'm starting to think you worship the ground Berejiklien walks on.

Question is will she survive the case against Maguire.

I think Maguire will bring down a lot of tall poppies in the aftermath of the ICAC hearings and I have a hunch that Berejiklien's head might roll.

But we all know she is totally innocent and had absolutely no knowledge of anything Maguire did. I'm sure it is all news to her.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Friday, 16 October 2020 3:13:06 PM
Berejiklien is now a red-hot target for the corrupt/hypocritical Progressives to avert the heat from their antics !
Posted by individual, Friday, 16 October 2020 3:22:45 PM
pseudo-individual,

There you go again using words that none of us can understand.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Friday, 16 October 2020 3:25:33 PM
Blockchain is unhackable.
If all decisions were recorded on blockchain then it would be assumed that all conflicts of interest would be found out, and as a result corruption wouldn't happen.

Half the nations citizens are willing to do mates rates with their work skills for their friends, cash under the table...

It's no more their fault for being dodgy, than it is our fault for not demanding a system where they can't be corrupt.

What makes you think humans are inherently different whether they wear the clothes of a criminal or a business suit?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 17 October 2020 12:34:42 AM
pseudo-opinion Lol
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 17 October 2020 12:35:57 AM
Hi Foxy,

The last line of defence for the scoundrel politician is; "I didn't do anything illegal." In the case of Berejiklian there are questions that require answers. I have been following the ICAC enquiry, and for starters the thing that needs clarification is the Louise Waterhouse land deal. The evidence is Waterhouse who owned land at Badgerys Creek (site of new airport) worth about $330 million. Waterhouse was having trouble with the state Planning Dept. Maguire arranged a "drop in" meeting with Berejiklian at Macquarie Street. Whether this un-official meeting lasted 2 minutes or 2 hours we don't know, but the evidence suggests it was asked of the Premier if "anything could be done" for Waterhouse in regards to the planning issues. Even if Berejiklian did nothing in that regard, she had a duty to disclose that approach. These so called drop in meetings arranged by Maguire with the Premier and other politicians and public servants for certain people are highly suspicious in themselves. I would say meetings you want to have where you don't want any evidence recorded. The other thing of concern is Berejiklian saying; "I didn't need to know about that". Angus Taylor the federal Liberal politician also has questions to answer regarding Waterhouse and the Badgerys Creek land. There in no doubt in my mind that we badly need a Federal ICAC, yet some Liberals and Nationals oppose it, why? Has Eddie Obeid joined the Coalition.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 17 October 2020 7:34:30 AM
The NSW premier's guilt is as plain as the nose on her face.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 17 October 2020 9:03:05 AM
"The NSW Premier's guilt is as plain as the nose
on her face?"

Her nose isn't big. She just happens to have a
small head.

Besides opinions are like noses: everybody's got one,
but it usually has a couple of holes in it.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 17 October 2020 9:59:49 AM
ttbn,

I don't think that Berejiklien was in cahoots with her boyfriend but I do think she should have protected the people of NSW she gave an oath to serve.

I for one feel very dejected and suicidal after watching her being questioned about her boyfriend. God help us all ttbn, because the politicians won't.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Saturday, 17 October 2020 10:00:24 AM
Hi Paul,

I'm going to wait until all the facts are known.
I agree ICAC is necessary.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 17 October 2020 10:03:29 AM
Mr. O,

Any decent person with responsibilities to the public would have resigned by now. However, we are talking about a politician in this case, and there is no such thing as a decent one of those these days. When you think back to the NSW premier who resigned over a free bottle of plonk, you can see how bad the current crop are.

It doesn't matter what The Hooter did or didn't do. If you lie down with dogs, you get fleas; and that's what she did. There will always be a question mark as big as her nose hanging over her.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 17 October 2020 11:22:15 AM
ttbn,

I think Foxy would make a good premier for NSW.

She just has to dump her smoochy smoochy kissy kissy honey bear boyfriend Loudmouth. We don't want a Gladys II.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Saturday, 17 October 2020 11:45:07 AM
What about this piece? Any comments?

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/louise-waterhouse-met-with-top-officials-and-angus-taylor-over-land-near-western-sydney-airport/ar-BB1a6sFz?ocid=msedgntp

Anyone NOT for a Federal ICAC?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Saturday, 17 October 2020 12:18:18 PM
Hi Mr O,

No doubt there is a smelly connection between Daryl Maguire, Gladys Berejiklian, Angus Taylor, Louise Waterhouse and $330 million of land at Badgerys Creek. Dear old Daryl was looking to pocket a $1.5 million sales commission should the land get sold to a Chinese property developer. The fly in the ointment for Daryl was state and federal bureaucrats with their pesky rules and regulations. Now Daryl had friends in high places who could "help" Ms Waterhouse deal with these pesky bureaucrats, that's where Gladys and Angus come in. Only needs a word in the right ear and hay presto a million and a half is yours. "I don't need to know about that". Please Remember in all this underhanded wheeling and dealing, Gladys was great with the bush fires, and gives generously at her local church.
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 18 October 2020 6:10:00 AM
Paul1405,

I think Berejiklien is telling the truth in saying that is did not play a part in Maguire's activities.

It's her recorded statement to Maguire of "I don't need to know about that" that has me a bit concerned. It's open to interpretation.

One thing for sure, the Federal Liberal Party boys definitely don't want to set up a Federal ICAC.

I think it's because they have this attitude that somethings are best left in the dark (otherwise they might all be locked up for life).

Q: How dishonest and untrustworthy can a politician get?
A: Ask at your local Liberal Party office.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 18 October 2020 9:14:32 AM
AC- Blockchain is interesting technology.
Posted by Canem Malum, Sunday, 18 October 2020 9:57:31 AM
Love the latest from the Coalition to hamper the establishment of a federal ICAC. To back benchers in a daily talking point note. "Should you be asked about a Federal ICAC, say the priority is dealing with the virus." As one commentator said. "These guys have had three years to prepare legislation, can't they walk and chew gum at the same time."

Also, the Coalition have in mind such a toothless tiger of a Commission that it will be the ICAC you have when you don't have an ICAC.

Come on Morrison what are you hiding?
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 19 October 2020 6:55:34 AM
Paul1405,

I think all you will get out of Morrison is a good old fashioned Berejiklien "I don't need to know about that."

I think we should nickname Morrison 'The Cobargo Kid'.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 19 October 2020 7:15:56 AM
For once I agree with Foxy.

Juliar was far worse, not only was she shagging a crook, but she was fired for helping him defraud companies.

When someone can actually accuse GB of criminal activity, then she should resign. There is no such thing as being guilty of shagging a crook.
Posted by shadowminister, Monday, 19 October 2020 12:40:38 PM
WOW! This one stinks to high heaven!

How do you turn a block of dirt at Leppington NSW, valued at $3 million into a $30 million windfall. Very easy, firstly you need to be a big donor to THE LIBERAL PARTY, then secondly you have to have the ear of COALITION Politian's. According to the National Party leader, Michael McCormack, the Leppington acquisition, paying 10 times its value, in time would be seen as a “bargain”, what a 100 years time. Whose been in McCormack's ear, maybe the nobs at the Leppington Pastoral Company, now they can afford to donate even more generously to the COALITION, since they are all cashed up!

Shonkyminister, there is still more crap to hit the fan regarding the love duo Daryl and Gladys. have you got any pillow talk to report?
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 19 October 2020 7:07:10 PM
Paul1405,

Actually what McCormack said about $30 million being a bargain has got me to thinking.

So I've decided to sell my next door neighbour's property for $30 million and cash in on the action.

Trick is in not letting my neighbour find about it. But if he does get wind of it I'll just get McCormack to roll up and tell him what a great bargain it is.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 19 October 2020 7:17:36 PM
Paul1405,

BTW Just in case I can't sell my next door neighbour's property without him finding out about it (yes - it's hard to keep secrets nowadays) well at least I'll still be able to fall back on my honest and trustworthy cash-for-visa consultancy with all those Chinese - who are more than likely affiliated with the CCP - looking for a bona fide way into Aussiedom.

And a big Aussie "Ni hao mate" to all prospective cash-for-visa clients from your pal Mr Opinion.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 19 October 2020 9:23:29 PM
Gladys should try 'E-Harmony', according to their ads someone finds love every 15 minutes on their site. They might match you up with an Ivan Milat type, but you've just gotta take risks to find true love.

According to Mark Latham, one time wanna-be prime minister, ahhhhhhh! and nowdays the One Nation chief head kicker in the NSW retirement room for worn out politicians, said Daryl had a key to Gladys house, what about that?
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 23 October 2020 5:55:05 AM
Paul1405,

The key to Gladys' house PLUS the key to her heart!

Daryl must have thought he had died and gone to heaven.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Friday, 23 October 2020 6:42:12 AM
Seems "Honest" Gladys was running a Liberal re-election slush fund with taxpayer money out her office before the last state election. The $250 million council fund, aka another sports rorts affair, seen 95% of the dosh going to Coalition electorates, all operated by e-mail, by Big Nose and her offsider Shady Barrels from the Nats, with no proper approval. Did Daryl put his two bobs worth in as well? With all these Liberals running side businesses from their taxpayer funded offices, it a wonder they have time to run the state, sorry they don't.

Up here in Queensland we have the LNP leader Dangerous Deb Somebody in bed with developers at LNP fundraisers to gain donations.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 23 October 2020 10:17:04 AM
Paul1405,

I had this dream about Soot Morrison trying to stuff money into the pockets of wealthy Liberal Party supporters.

"Here, take some. It's free. You can have it all. I've got plenty more where that came from. I get off people who actually pay taxes. Don't be shy, take it. They won't miss it. I'll even chuck in a few Cartier watches if you want."
Posted by Mr Opinion, Friday, 23 October 2020 10:42:56 AM
Seems they wore out the PAPER SHREDDER and the DELETE key on the computer getting rid of the evidence of $250 million worth of shonky grants given out by the Premier and her off-sider Barrels, before the last state election. Well, well, well, Gladys made a special grant of $40,000 to the electorate of Wagga Wagga, and who was the local member, non other than lover boy Daryl.

Gee, this gets dirtier by the day.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 24 October 2020 8:04:46 PM
Paul1405,

I'm interested to find out about the 'China Connection'.

I wonder how deep this goes. I'm guessing all the way to Xi Jinping.

If an affiliate of the Chinese State can sit as a member of the federal parliament then how many in the lower echelons of politics and the bureaucracy are linked to the Chinese?

I have been warning about the influence of the Chinese in Australia for a long time but no one listens because it's all about the money.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 25 October 2020 6:58:30 AM
Yes Mr O, I do believe Mr Jinping has bought shares in my local Chinese take-away, the 'Golden Dragon' and he is keen to migrate to Aussie, should things go belly up with his latest gig, being head of the CCP. I also understand Mr Jinping does a very nice 'Curried Prawns and Rice', so he can't be all bad. Remember cash only at the 'Golden Dragon' no card, our small business motto "NO GST FOR ME! We guarantee not to use any GST in our cooking.

More news, good old Josh Friedbrain should be given a please explain about his meeting with Louise Waterhouse in 2016, Friedbrain was the feds Enviro Minister in those days. Was it just a friendly chat, or is there mote to it. BTW Louise also had a meeting with Angus Taylor in 2018. Its odd who you get to meet particuarlly if you know Daryl, just happens Waterhouse owns a big slab of land at Badgerys Creek she would like to off load for $330 million to the Fed, with a little bit of lollie money for Daryl. Given how generous the Scum'O mob are when it come to buying land at "mates rates" with taxpayer dosh, maybe Waterhouse can expect to get $330 billion for her bit of dirt.
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 25 October 2020 7:52:58 AM
Mr O, its not all about the money! Down at the 'Golden Dragon' you can get 3 choices with rice or noddles for 14 bucks. Throw in a side of a couple of fried dim sim and you'll be coming back for more, particularly when Mr Jinping becomes the cook.
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 25 October 2020 8:10:58 AM
Paul1405,

Keep in mind that the new international airport at Badgerys Creek was always intended to be the main portal into Australia for millions of cashed up Chinese wanting to buy into Aussiedom for themselves and all of their relatives back home.

So when you add secret love affairs with the house keys thrown in, overpriced land sales, cash-for-visa consultancies (with the exception of my totally honest and trustworthy one of course) it all starts to ring alarm bells as to the extent of the 'China Connection' between Beijing and Australia's dishonest and untrustworthy politicians, bureaucrats and business people.

But as you point out the upside is that there will be Xi Jinping's special curried prawns for all.

"Waiter, waiter! Can I get a side order of taxpayers' cash with my curried prawns?"
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 25 October 2020 8:39:48 AM
Misopinionated,

For once, I agree with you: follow the money, and it is very likely that some of it will lead to China and the CCP. Maguire in Wagga had close relations along those lines. It would be interesting to winkle out other arrangements between LNP MPs and mainland-Chinese interests.

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Sunday, 25 October 2020 10:33:16 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pseudo-mouth,

Did you see on the web news where the US is going to deploy Coast Guard cutters to the indo-Pacific region to counter Chinese activities against SE Asian nation-states and Pacific micro-states?

Better late than never I guess.

Chinese interests around the world are coming under question during the pandemic as countries scramble to untie themselves from the arrangements they have in place with China.

I saw on the news this morning where two major European companies (pharmaceutical I think) are closing their factories in Australia. I assume they want to build up their independent economic base in preparation for another event like the pandemic.

I'm sure Soot will promote putting factories back on Australian soil but I have this strange feeling they will have parent companies in Beijing, with China having 49% ownership (got to pretend it looks Australian at least).
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 25 October 2020 10:52:33 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy