The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Google demonetises one of our discussions

Google demonetises one of our discussions

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
For awhile now Google has been sending me notices that it refuses to serve ads on various pages. But there is no compulsion to do anything about this, although they do is suspend the display of ads on these pages. However today I have deleted a discussion started by <strike>TTBN</strike>Bazz (see discussion below) entitled "Police Arrest a Hardened Pregnant Mum". Apparently the discussion violated their community policies, although how, I'm not sure.

It raises the issue as to what I should do in a financial sense. We make very little money from Google ads - maybe $1800 pa - but they do pay for most of the cost of the servers.

Is there a better way to make this site sustainable? Is Patreon an answer, for example. Of course there are other advertising companies, so maybe I should see what they offer.

So I'm letting you know what has happened on our site, and if it is happening here, then it is happening on other sites as well. You might want to discuss that, or make suggestions on the monetisation front.
Posted by GrahamY, Thursday, 17 September 2020 9:35:49 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I beg your pardon, Graham, but TTBN did not start that discussion; neither did ttbn. I think it was Bazz, but as you have deleted it, I can't be sure.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 17 September 2020 11:34:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How about a paywall? Say, like Quadrant Online, where anyone can read the content free of charge, but to comment, you have to be a subscriber. Newspapers do it, but you have little hope of getting a letter to the editor published. Just a thought. I, of course know nothing about running a blog, nor what Graham's reason for doing it is. $1800 p.a. from Google shouldn't be hard to replace.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 18 September 2020 12:05:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To Graham Y- this is very concerning.

This sounds like something similar to a Sleeping Giants campaign.

I'm sorry to see you put in this difficult position. I know that Dick Smith and others are sympathetic to the cause of free speech even if Google isn't. Maybe I'll put a good word in for you.

I'm sad I didn't save the thread knowing that it has upset someone
Posted by Canem Malum, Friday, 18 September 2020 2:23:02 AM
I would accept a paywall up to $50 per annum
Posted by david f, Friday, 18 September 2020 8:25:55 AM
I would not like anyone besides Graham decide what is allowable. I also would not like anyone's voice stilled because they didn't have the money to pay for the forum. If Graham decides on a pay wall I will try to pay it.
Posted by david f, Friday, 18 September 2020 9:29:55 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy