The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Queensland's Totalitarian Adult Guardianship laws

Queensland's Totalitarian Adult Guardianship laws

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Queensland's Guardianship laws are a totalitarian regime that encourage neglect, incompetence and cover-ups.

People with intellectual disabilities are being allowed to fall through cracks in the system, some are ending up in gaol.

The only agency in Queensland authorised to investigate claims of neglect or abuse of Queensland adults with intellectual disabilities by their guardians is the Office of the Adult Guardian.

The Office of the Adult Guardian is itself the legal guardian for many Queenslanders with impaired capacity. Therefore the only agency capable of investigating allegations of neglect and abuse by the Adult Guardian, is the Adult Guardian itself – a clear conflict of interest.

The Guardianship and Administration Tribunal and the Adult Guardian are a law unto themselves. Nobody, not even the Attorney General is allowed to investigate into their secret workings.

The Adult Guardian’s management of the lives of wards of the state can only be accountable, scrutinisable and transparent if its guardian function is separated from its investigative function. The Office of the Adult Guardian must be split into two separate agencies.

more info -

"Expose the Qld. Office of the Adult Guardian. Stop neglect and cover-up."
http://paradigmoz.wordpress.com/2007/08/15/picket-to-demand-justice-for-people-with-intellectual-disabilities-and-their-families-brisbane/
"Before the Adult Guardian’s intervention this person was a wealthy land owner with allmost infinite lifestyle options. Since the Adult Guardian’s intervention he has settled into a homeless lifestyle and is now facing gaol."

ABC Law Report 15/8/06 "Guardianship and Administration Act"
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/lawreport/stories/2006/1712482.htm
"So if a citizen has a complaint against the Adult Guardian or the Tribunal, they are silenced, like in a communist country, and they can't speak out to the newspapers, to the television, to the radio.
Posted by King Canute, Monday, 20 August 2007 11:22:48 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
excerpts from Paradigm Oz
http://paradigmoz.wordpress.com/2007/08/15/picket-to-demand-justice-for-people-with-intellectual-disabilities-and-their-families-brisbane/

"What about Qld.’s whistleblower laws?

I put a case of whistleblower rights to the GAAT when they applied my suppression order. I cannot tell you what the ruling was without transgressing the suppression order. However I will say that GAAT’s lack of proffessionalism in dealing with people is also reflected in their understanding and application of their own act’s whistleblower clause. I wish I could tell you the ruling on whistleblowing given to me by the president of GAAT - you would get a real giggle out of it.
The president - who is the supreme authority of the Guardianship and Administration Act - had clearly never read the whole act before. She did not even know that the act had a whistle-blower clause until I pointed it out to her."

and

"I can tell you the suppression order was made within the guardianship regime and no other jurisdiction.

I would welcome the opportunity to have this matter raised in a more transperent and accountable jurisdiction if I was to be charged.

The publicity opportunities of such a charge would be the silver lining on this particular cloud if the weather does change. If it was me before the courts instead of the person then there are no restrictions on me talking to the media about my case.

I allege that the Adult Guardian have destroyed the persons life, transforming him from a wealthy Sunshine Coast Land owner with all sorts of life options to a homeless and hopeless tramp hanging around inner city streets repeatedly going to gaol.

This is a consideration for me about how serious this situation is. If the person is going to gaol as a consequence of the regime, then perhaps it is not disproportionate for a family member to risk gaol as a consequence of trying to expose this neglect and violation.

John Tracey
(aka King Canute)
Posted by King Canute, Monday, 20 August 2007 5:14:57 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy