The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Did the Police Minister break the law?

Did the Police Minister break the law?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
There are allegations that the NSW Police Minister broke the law by firing prohibited weapons without holding the appropriate licence'
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-09/nsw-police-minister-david-elliott-fires-submachine-gun-at-range/12040288

David Shoebridge of the Greens had a bit to say on the matter,

"Minister Elliott has very serious questions to answer," Greens MP David Shoebridge said.

"We have tough firearms laws in this state providing hefty criminal penalties if you are holding or operating a firearm without an appropriate licence and I'd invite him to put on the record if he held such a licence."

Mr Shoebridge said it also showed a lack of judgement from a Minister in charge of law and order.

"You'd have to wonder what is going through the mind of a senior Minister … to go and pick up a lethal weapon like this without checking if they had a lawful capacity to do that," Mr Shoebridge said."
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 10 March 2020 9:34:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just another squabble among politicians. Totally irrelevant to real people.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 10 March 2020 10:54:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ttbn
What would happen if you or I did it?
The same should happen to him.
Posted by mikk, Tuesday, 10 March 2020 12:42:36 PM
It has nothing whatsoever to do with his position & he should pay the fine !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 10 March 2020 3:10:34 PM
If you mean Elliott, he did nothing wrong. Anyone can fire weapons at a range with an authorised person in attendance. Greens are just ignorant muck rakers, so bereft of common sense and ideas that they have to make a fuss about a non-event. Bloody idiots the lot of them.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 10 March 2020 3:14:30 PM
ttbn,

Not quite right, certainly, there must be an authorized person in attendance and from the photo, there appears to have been, but the appropriate form must be filled in and signed and I've never heard (not that that proves anything!!) of a form that grants permission to fire a sub-machine gun.
Moreover one would expect that the supervisor would have insisted that the Minister hold the gun by the foregrip, not the magazine (see 1st photo), proper control is a basic safety requirement.

Surely a Minister of the Crown would remember if he had signed a form?

As has been pointed out, on another forum, the next photo down on the link shews three people firing pistols but the two nearest the camera are disobeying safety rules and endangering the third person (as the first is endangering the second).
The Minister should be setting an example for all the rest of us.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 10 March 2020 4:09:28 PM
When I was a kid, I fired an Owen gun into a drain bank under the supervision of a CMF soldier. Should I hand myself in?
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 10 March 2020 4:59:00 PM
Issy, some gunnies have a history of not doing the right thing when it comes to their odd little fettish, we have discussed that many times before. Good to see you are taking a responsible attitude to this irresponsible action by the LNP minister.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 10 March 2020 5:05:40 PM
ttbn,

Depends on how old you are!!
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 10 March 2020 5:47:54 PM
Too old for jail.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 10 March 2020 6:19:59 PM
LNP minister.
Paul1405,
That's what it is really all about with you lot, eh ? If it were some Labor/Green git you'd remain stumm !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 10 March 2020 9:06:32 PM
It wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Wednesday, 11 March 2020 6:33:21 AM
"FIREARMS ACT 1996 - SECT 6B
Exemption for unlicensed persons shooting on approved ranges and for persons undertaking firearms safety training courses
6B Exemption for unlicensed persons shooting on approved ranges and for persons undertaking firearms safety training courses
(1) A person is exempt from any requirement under this Act to be authorised by a licence or permit to possess or use a firearm (other than a prohibited firearm) if the person possesses or uses the firearm only:
(a) at a shooting range approved by the Commissioner in accordance with the regulations and while under the supervision of a person who is authorised by a licence to possess or use a firearm of that kind, or
(b) while participating in a firearms safety training course approved by the Commissioner in accordance with the regulations and while under the supervision of a firearms instructor approved by the Commissioner in accordance with the regulations.
(1A) The level of supervision that is required for the purposes of this section is direct supervision so that the person supervising supervises one person only.
(2) Any such exemption from the requirement to be authorised by a licence or permit to possess or use a firearm is subject to the requirements prescribed by the regulations.
(3) This section does not apply in relation to a person who is under the age of 12 years."
Taken from the NSW Act.

Note the words "(other than a prohibited firearm)" in (1) above.

Seems that he broke the law and there is speculation that the range used did not comply with range safety requirements as laid down by the NSW Government via the firearms Registry.
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 11 March 2020 7:19:38 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/dec/18/nsw-police-armed-with-military-style-machine-guns-for-new-years-eve

NSW police carry military style weapons in their arsenal.

The " lesser" question is; why is it necessary for a minister to fire one? That is not a serious matter enough for wasting the time of parliament in discussion...obviously.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 11 March 2020 8:18:42 AM
Issy, you seem to be a bit hot on this one. Are you a friend of David Shoebridge? BTW personality DS is a very nice chap, down to earth, easy to converse with, none of the snobbery you find with some politicians. But as it should be, he will take on the fight when required.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 11 March 2020 8:20:36 AM
Paul,

I'm interested in this one as the Minister is not noted for any 'give and take' with shooters, he is insistent that the letter of the law be observed even when it leads to silly situations that could be fixed with a bit of common sense.

On the range when letting people try out pistol shooting, for instance, we have to comply with the law, make sure that all the relevant paperwork is completed to Firearm Registry's satisfaction, provide one on one supervision by qualified instructors, make sure that the range is in safe mode etc., etc.
and no prohibited weapons are allowed.

We comply with the law, so should the Minister; one could even argue that he should set an example.
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 11 March 2020 12:33:35 PM
one could even argue that he should set an example
Is Mise,
Totally agree ! Decent people are not given any Latitude !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 11 March 2020 4:45:25 PM
I understand that he is a retired army officer.
Could he be a reservist and would that make a difference ?
Posted by Bazz, Wednesday, 11 March 2020 10:20:54 PM
Fair enough Issy, I'll agree with that.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 12 March 2020 5:00:02 AM
Not sure how stupid Army Reservists are Bazz. But if they are generally very stupid then that could be the ministers excuse, "Don't blame me, I'm an Army Reservists!".
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 12 March 2020 4:28:04 PM
Oh Guawd !
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 12 March 2020 5:27:19 PM
Bazz,

Ditto!!
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 13 March 2020 8:37:44 AM
Sorry Bazz and Issy I didn't get back to you earlier on this, intelligence thing with army reservists and police ministers. I have not been idle on the matter, I've been "researching" on your behalf. Now, a quick 'Google' of IQ army reservists came up with "zero", not looking good for the minister. Another 'Google' IQ police minister came up with the even more disturbing finding of "minus zero", looking even worse for the minister. A call to the ministers office with the question "What is the IQ of the Minister?" was met with not sure, the girl on the phone, bad line, could have said either "don't know" or "too low", still very disturbing for the minister. From my "research" I conclude the minister in question, his IQ is somewhere between zero and less than zero. Hope this "research" was helpful lads. Double ditto!
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 14 March 2020 7:17:44 AM
To quote Bazz: Gawd".
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 14 March 2020 10:31:10 AM
I understand you chaps expression of "Gawd", I to was surprised to find the police minister has an IQ between zero and minus zero! That is astounding I also express "Gawd"! I found the following YouTube of the minister in action down at the range! Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=747_rz-qE4w

Issy, was the minister doing anything wrong? What about the bloke on the poster, was he supervising correctly?
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 14 March 2020 2:19:56 PM
Pauul,

I've seen that happen!!

But in the case that I saw a heavy US army holster deflected the bullet and all that he got was a big bruise to his thigh and a bigger bruise to his ego from the Colonel who tore strips off him.

Lesson, never cock a pistol as you draw, cock at around 45 degrees as you bring it up to point.
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 14 March 2020 8:45:45 PM
Is the police minister firing an assault rifle issued to him by the police at a police firing range doing something illegal?

Really? I guess there is no limit to stupid!!
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 25 March 2020 2:44:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy